Google Fiber to Louisville

GrizzlyAdams

• Replies 46
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Do they have a price for just internet?

Yeah 70.

Perhaps the most amazing thing they do when they move into a city is that they'll install 5Mbps internet for a one-time fee of $300 and there's no monthly charge to use it. Now that's too slow to stream and you can't download much, but it gets internet access to a whole lot of people that wouldn't have it otherwise.

Coverage areas get a little tricky.

Ok so the numbers...

You can get just internet for 70 a month. That gets you 1TB upoad/download, with no activation fee. Or, you can get free internet basically that has 5 Mbps down and 1 Mbps up and all you have to pay is the 300 activation fee and 20 dollars for the first year.

Yeah 70.

Perhaps the most amazing thing they do when they move into a city is that they'll install 5Mbps internet for a one-time fee of $300 and there's no monthly charge to use it. Now that's too slow to stream and you can't download much, but it gets internet access to a whole lot of people that wouldn't have it otherwise.

Coverage areas get a little tricky.

Beat me to it. Regardless you can say goodbye to other internet providers in Louisville.

Beat me to it. Regardless you can say goodbye to other internet providers in Louisville.

My buddy that lives in KC said that Time Warner, ATT and another local provider all went nuts when it happened and they're offering internet that's not quite as fast as Google but at $20 per month to stay in the market. They won't be gone, but they'll finally have to compete.

It'll be interesting to see where they go at first. You have to have a certain amount of interest within a given area in order for them to run it.

Have to think that downtown, huge chunks of the Highlands, and a few other denser areas inside and around the Watterson will get it first. AT&T really hosed me with their spotty coverage in the Highlands. REALLY hoping Google won't do the same.

My buddy that lives in KC said that Time Warner, ATT and another local provider all went nuts when it happened and they're offering internet that's not quite as fast as Google but at $20 per month to stay in the market. They won't be gone, but they'll finally have to compete.

That's awesome. I'm extremely jealous for those of you in Louisville.