Training Staff Critical

Ram

Trained staff critical to preventing heat-related deaths among athletes

By Michael Kinney | Community News Content

It was the first week of football practice this year at Southmoore High in Oklahoma, and Chris Trobaugh spotted the signs right away. After being an athletic trainer for almost a decade, he knew what to look for when it comes to heat illness.

So when six of his football players started to show symptoms of heat illness as the temperatures hovered near triple digits, Trobaugh knew if he didn't jump into action, the situation could turn deadly.

Link

It's hard to believe that it's 2015 and there are still schools that don't have athletic trainers on site every day.

It's even harder to believe why high schools, in a vast number of states (including our own) have completed three, full weeks of practice BEFORE August 1st.

Sure as heck don't see colleges and the NFL doing that.

Granted, this summer has been unseasonably cooler and wetter, but so was our North Pole'esk winter which comes around every 20 years.

It's hard to believe that it's 2015 and there are still schools that don't have athletic trainers on site every day.

There are schools that don't have them onsite for games, they just call the local EMS crew.

We tried to get a certified trainer rule passed on the taskforce in 2012 but KDE refused to listen to it.

I know states like Michigan that don't allow the start of practice until August 1st. Opening weekend the last in August (or Labor Day weekend..like college does).

Others like Delaware, Connecticut Massachusetts and others to our North (where if any states could start in July due to cooler weather, it'd be them) don't start practice until the 2nd week of August and opening weekend is the week after Labor Day (NFL opening week as well).

While I completely think it's important to have Athletic Trainers on site, I think its also equally to have a Trainer that understands football and the difference between being hurt and being injured. Sometimes I see trainers hold kids out for things that are playable. Football is a contact sport and players are going to play with bumps and bruises. Most Trainers are good about this but there are a few that would rather play Momma bear and hold kids out for minor things.

While I completely think it's important to have Athletic Trainers on site, I think its also equally to have a Trainer that understands football and the difference between being hurt and being injured. Sometimes I see trainers hold kids out for things that are playable. Football is a contact sport and players are going to play with bumps and bruises. Most Trainers are good about this but there are a few that would rather play Momma bear and hold kids out for minor things.

A whole lot of truth to that right there as well. Kids know when they have a gullible trainer.

There are schools that don't have them onsite for games, they just call the local EMS crew.

We tried to get a certified trainer rule passed on the taskforce in 2012 but KDE refused to listen to it.

And they are playing Russian roulette with their student's safety. Schools need to look beyond mandates and find ways to make it happen.

A whole lot of truth to that right there as well. Kids know when they have a gullible trainer.

Do either of you know what goes into becoming a certified athletic trainer? And I also believe that for every "gullible" AT you can site I can also find an over-zealous coach who will push an injured athlete back into activity when they are not ready. What's the point? Are you saying that schools shouldn't have athletic trainers because some MAY sit a kid down when someone else who MAY OR MAY NOT HAVE ANY MEDICAL TRAINING thinks they can play? My point is that it's negligent, bordering on criminal that schools do not safeguard the health of their student athletes.

No, I don't. I'd be lieing if I did. Never have pretended to be.

In regards to my comment though, that has everything to do with opinion, but it also being confirmed by trainers....in particular ones that I've worked along side who are at the "head trainer (s)" of their local operations that preach just this to their employees.

Kids will test trainers just as they do their parents, teachers, coaches and anybody else to see if they can pull things over on them (or try to). I don't need to know what all goes into being a trainer to know that (and, also being told that from a trainer themselves).

Do either of you know what goes into becoming a certified athletic trainer? And I also believe that for every "gullible" AT you can site I can also find an over-zealous coach who will push an injured athlete back into activity when they are not ready. What's the point? Are you saying that schools shouldn't have athletic trainers because some MAY sit a kid down when someone else who MAY OR MAY NOT HAVE ANY MEDICAL TRAINING thinks they can play? My point is that it's negligent, bordering on criminal that schools do not safeguard the health of their student athletes.

They must have over zealous bosses as well.