Wie advances to final stage of US Open qualifying

http://sports.yahoo.com/golf/pga/news;_ylt=Autqd9ZJ7IWbkwzXVd9fXokogsUF?slug=ap-onthefringe&prov=ap&type=lgns

In a span of 12 hours, Michelle Wie made headlines in three parts of the world stretching across 12 time zones.

She accepted an invitation to play the Omega Masters in Switzerland, which will make her the first woman to compete in a continental European PGA Tour event. A few hours later, the 16-year-old received a special exemption to the U.S. Women's Open in Newport, R.I., which is sure to infuriate Morgan Pressel and others who believe she should have had to qualify.

And to complete this manic Monday, Wie made history as the first woman to advance to the final stage of U.S. Open qualifying.

How to celebrate such an eventful Monday?

By cracking open the books, not a bottle of bubbly.

"She missed school today," said her father, B.J. Wie. "She started doing a lot of homework right after we came back from qualifying."

The next stop on Wie's wild and wonderful ride is June 5 at Canoe Brook Country Club in Summit, N.J., site of the 36-hole sectional qualifier where she will compete against dozens of PGA Tour players for a spot in the U.S. Open at Winged Foot.

For those who say she needs to win, Wie has redefined winning without hoisting a trophy.

She didn't win the Sony Open, but her 68 in the second round at age 14 was the lowest score ever shot by a female on a men's tour. She didn't win the U.S. Amateur Public Links -- or a trip to the Masters that came with it -- but she reached the quarterfinals last summer and kept everyone watching and wondering.

In her only two LPGA Tour events this year, she missed a playoff by one shot both times, one of those tournaments a major.

"Me and my dad were kind of joking that we're basically playing on all tours this year," she said. "I think it's awesome. It's always what I wanted to do."

B.J. Wie first shared this vision at the start of the 2005 season. The plan was for her to become a global icon in golf, which she is now. He could see his daughter playing a men's or women's event in Europe, some in Asia. Most of her events would be on the LPGA Tour, but that doesn't mean she has to join. Wie gets a maximum of eight exemptions on the LPGA; given her global travels, that's all she needs.

"I think we are following that blueprint," B.J. Wie said. "She likes it. The trip to Korea was fantastic. It was so much fun. As long as she has good health and good motivation, she wants to travel around the world like a global player, like Ernie Els."

Some will complain Wie is taking a spot away from someone trying to make a living, and that is sure to come up at the 84 Lumber Classic in September as the PGA Tour season enters its final two months and players are trying to keep their cards. But if a guy can't earn one of the 140 or so spots in a tournament, he has no one to blame but himself. As much as the PGA Tour is charging title sponsors these days, the sponsors have a right to invite someone who will help them sell tickets.

More on Wie who amazes me.

http://sports.yahoo.com/golf/pga/news;_ylt=Agv8BM.ABJ859I4Mm0n2Fh0ogsUF?slug=ap-wiesexemptions&prov=ap&type=lgns

USGA women's tournament chairman Marcia Luigs said the exemptions are given to players who would be eligible to play in a tournament if not for some external reason. Along with Wie, a special exemption was given to Kelly Robbins, who had consecutive top-three finishes in the Women's Open but missed last year's with a back injury.

"Michelle's case was more cut-and-dried, when you looked at the numbers," Luigs said. "If she had been on the LPGA Tour, she would have been exempt. Even though she is a professional and has won enough money to have an exemption, it's not on the LPGA money list."

Although Wie is not an LPGA Tour member, she would have ranked 12th on the official money list last year and would be within the top 35 in 2006 -- and eligible for the tournament at the Newport Country Club -- after just two events this year.

Wie has not missed the cut on the LPGA Tour since she was 13 in 2003, and she has five top fives in the majors, including a runner-up finish in the LPGA Championship and a tie for third in the Women's British Open last year.

I like Wie and shes a good golfer but I still dont agree with it. I think Tiger should be allowed to play in the LPGA if he qualifies if she can qualify for the PGA. It would be about like a WNBA player wanting to play in the NBA. And I agree witht eh above post she hasnt even won on the LPGA yet so why compete with the men? Shes a great golfer and her time will come but I still say shes 1 to 2 years away from winning.