Greatest High School Football player you have ever seen play (In Person)

T-CATS

• Replies 100
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

For me, might be John Settle https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/John_Settle. Only the most diehard football fans on here remember him if you even heard of him. Stud hs running back at Rockingham Co. (NC), almost unstoppable. Team was terrible but he ran for over 2,000 yards his sr. year with absolutely no help. Went to Appy State, had a good career and went as an undrafted free agent to the NFL. Was the first undrafted free agent in the NFL to rush for 1,000 yards and made the pro bowl in 1988. Only played 3 years, I think injuries caught up with him. Is now the rb coach for Wisconsin.

Chris Spielman on the Wheaties box says it all!

8773cf13af3e776f7d58fe4c648c19fb.jpg

Here is a video for those of you who never saw him play in high school.

Never had a chance to see him in high school but it was a pleasure watching him in college and pros. Thank you for sharing the video. Every player should try to model his life and playing career after Mr Spielman. Need more guys like that.

Also had the pleasure of visiting Massillon a few times. Something EVERY high school football fan should see.

Travis Atwell, Hancock County. Kid nearly single handily got the Hornets a state title.

Micah Jones, Mayfield. Most dominating OL I've seen play. Would drive guys 15-20 yards down field consistently.

Joe Casey I put with another guy from the early to mid-90s that played at Murray named Chris Chaney. Flat out freak, high D-1 prospect that suffered a similar fate as Casey. He got injured at the end of his Junior season. Beechwood would have played against him in the '94 Finals.

Michael Bush, Male. I still can't get over his conversion to QB. He was just that dude.

Joe Casey was a great one! I really wish he could have continued his career as I believe he had pro potential. No telling where he would be today.

On Joe Casey, I got to watch him play back in April in the Mayfield - PT Alumni game. The Twinkies have been hard on Joe

Atwell was amazing as was Bush. I got to see each 1 time only. Atwell carried Hancock Co to a most unlikely victory over Mf by doing it all.

I saw Bush vs T in the finals and all I can say is wow! This game and the Atwell game were 2 of the best individual performances I have seen.

AL Baker @ Trigg Co is high on my list

Marcus Moss @ Mayfield is also high on my list

I played against a guy named Mike Benefield (this was back in Delaware). An unbelievable athlete. 5'10", 225 lbs. Ran the 40 in the 4.5 range. State champ in track in the 100 meters AND the Shot Put. Ended up playing at North Carolina.

And the #1 Tight End is a future first round pick. Who knows what would have happened but in the 3rd or 4th game the next season he broke his ankle and just stuck w/ baseball where he set ND's single season HR record. I believe that he made it to the AA level in the Met's system.

Mets til 95' then he was traded to Expos. One of the nicest guys you will ever meet!!

I watched Atwell v Guigugli at Highlands. Atwell was very, very good.

I had forgotten than Hancock County opened up that season at Highlands. They also played Hopkinsville, who lost in the AAAA semifinals to St. X, that season. They clearly knew they were going to have a really good team.