Texas softball catcher takes 2 runners out at the plate

All Tell

Absolutely, 100% positive...you pull your team from the field the KHSAA will hit you for 3 games

This, after hearing more about the Pike Central Lawrence Co incident I think you are right.

There were some players trying to leave the field when the incident happened and were told to stay on the field for this reason.

• Replies 113
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

And the head is a sensitive area. What if the runners suffer a concussion as their head whips to the ground?

No difference in my mind.

What if she gets hit in the head with the ball as its being thrown from fielder to fielder, should the person throwing the ball be suspended?

I agree it was dangerous and stupid. She should be disciplined (Suspended 2-5 games next year.) We all tend to overreact to these situations, she made a mistake and needs to learn from it. When the punishment becomes to harsh, people tend to forget what they did wrong and dwell on the punishment. The punishment needs to be harsh enough for her to remember it, but not so harsh that she has anger because of the punishment. Discipline is about teaching not punishing!

Here is my take. If she did it once, a 2-5 game suspension would be okay IMO. But she did it twice. That shows a pattern. Hence my reason for calling for stiffer punishments.

What if she gets hit in the head with the ball as its being thrown from fielder to fielder, should the person throwing the ball be suspended?

Was the throwing at her head intentional?

You seem to be confusing intentional acts (like what the catcher did) with accidents happening during regular play.

Here is my take. If she did it once, a 2-5 game suspension would be okay IMO. But she did it twice. That shows a pattern. Hence my reason for calling for stiffer punishments.

Again im fine with it, as long as you suspend the others as well.

By the way the umpire allowed it, I doubt I get thrown out of the game. If it was a close game then I would be smart about it, the next time the catcher was at bat, she would get one in the ear hole if we had a big lead I would take a 3 game suspension for putting her against the backstop. What more do I need? To send a message that your not going to take cheap shots at my teammates and get away with it.

So it's ok to throw at somebody's head?? I get the whole eye for an eye. But that reaction likely gets the coach and player suspended for a few games. Retaliation rarely has the desired affect and usually causes more harm to the retaliating team. Again, I like the idea of just scoring the run, pointing at the scoreboard, and smiling at them after the game when I win. The tough guy stuff is overrated.

That is a very valid point, but if no one corrected her behavior after the first time, then why not do it again? If she had been my catcher i would have taken her out of the game after the 1st incident, if i had been aware of it. I don't know if the coach knew what she did or not, but the 2nd time could have been prevented. I would have a bigger issue with it, if i knew she had done something like this before. Based on it being one game and kids going brain dead sometimes, i will give her the benefit of the doubt. 2-5 game suspension

Why do you continue to ignore the fact that she intentionally tried to hurt other players?

Why is that okay in your book?

That is a very valid point, but if no one corrected her behavior after the first time, then why not do it again? If she had been my catcher i would have taken her out of the game after the 1st incident, if i had been aware of it. I don't know if the coach knew what she did or not, but the 2nd time could have been prevented. I would have a bigger issue with it, if i knew she had done something like this before. Based on it being one game and kids going brain dead sometimes, i will give her the benefit of the doubt. 2-5 game suspension

I would have taken her out too if she was my catcher and I saw it. But like you said, who knows if the coach did see it.