Texas softball catcher takes 2 runners out at the plate

All Tell

So just because the umpire was a cotton headed ninny muggins, we are okay with letting it go?

And the runners she "just knocked off balance" were going full speed. Very dangerous situations.

It was possibly dangerous, but as has been mentioned, I've seen and experienced much worse. Such as the types of retaliation that people are calling for and seem to be ok with, like taking out knees, or coming in high with cleats. Again, her actions were completely uncalled for, and the ump blew the situation big time by not ejecting her. But this is being made into a bigger situation than it really is.

• Replies 113
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It was possibly dangerous, but as has been mentioned, I've seen and experienced much worse. Such as the types of retaliation that people are calling for and seem to be ok with, like taking out knees, or coming in high with cleats. Again, her actions were completely uncalled for, and the ump blew the situation big time by not ejecting her. But this is being made into a bigger situation than it really is.

She intentionally went out of her way to try and harm another player, not once, but twice. I don't think anyone is overreacting in the least.

She intentionally went out of her way to try and harm another player, not once, but twice. I don't think anyone is overreacting in the least.

I hear you. Kick her out, suspend her, but move on. That type of contact happens every day in other sports. We would cheer a block like that on the football field (and I know, football is a much different game). But it's over. And really turned out to not be so big of a deal. Move on. And let's certainly not call for retaliation, or call for her to be seriously hurt.

If I'm the second girl, I plant the catcher against the backstop. No way the catcher gets a chance to do the same to me.

And maybe get yourself kicked out of the game, and get yourself called out, costing your team a run. The person who retaliates is always the one that gets caught, and punished. You already won the battle by scoring the run. What more do you need??

I don't think we can infer that her intent was to "harm another player", she was frustrated, dropped and elbow (x2) and it didn't get called out.

The overreacting part comes in when people are talking about pulling her scholarship over this. Dirty play happens in all sports and it is the officials responsibility to see it and address it when it occurs, all else should be left to coaches, AD's and possibly the state association (I'm less in favor of state associations getting involved).

If Sam Houston pulls the offer so be it. I just don't want that to happen because a bunch of people felt the need to email/call and whine to them about it. I would prefer her current coach and future coaches use this to help her be a better person and player.

Either let it go, or suspend all the violations of the rules that took place on the film.

1. Third base coach was clearly out of the coaching box/area (half way down the line to home) - suspend them

2. On deck batter was withing 10 feet of the plate during the play - suspend them

3. The second girl that got knocked down, that then got in the face of the catcher - thats taunting by NFHS rules, - suspend her too.

You're right, all 3 of those are suspendable offenses :rolleyes:

Maybe #3 but I'd argue that the runner wasn't "in her face". She was a few feet away and there is no way to tell what was said which makes it hard to prove taunting.

And maybe get yourself kicked out of the game, and get yourself called out, costing your team a run. The person who retaliates is always the one that gets caught, and punished. You already won the battle by scoring the run. What more do you need??

By the way the umpire allowed it, I doubt I get thrown out of the game. If it was a close game then I would be smart about it, the next time the catcher was at bat, she would get one in the ear hole if we had a big lead I would take a 3 game suspension for putting her against the backstop. What more do I need? To send a message that your not going to take cheap shots at my teammates and get away with it.

Either let it go, or suspend all the violations of the rules that took place on the film.

1. Third base coach was clearly out of the coaching box/area (half way down the line to home) - suspend them

2. On deck batter was withing 10 feet of the plate during the play - suspend them

3. The second girl that got knocked down, that then got in the face of the catcher - thats taunting by NFHS rules, - suspend her too.

#1 ) Dugout restriction

#2 ) No rule on this, as long as no interference with live play

#3 ) Dugout restriction

I'm with Hammertime on this one, the most obvious suspension should be the American flag tophat...

The notion that that type contact is routine is retarded. So, when they get blindsided (because that's exactly what it is when you're not expecting it and it's not part of routine play) and they break a wrist from the awkward fall at full speed, then what? I'd send in my toughest chick on the squad and I'd have planted her. No questions.

The notion that that type contact is routine is retarded. So, when they get blindsided (because that's exactly what it is when you're not expecting it and it's not part of routine play) and they break a wrist from the awkward fall at full speed, then what? I'd send in my toughest chick on the squad and I'd have planted her. No questions.

Happens in basketball all the time, whats the big deal.

I'm not for the offensive team to retaliate because that does nothing but sink to the catcher's level. And when you sink to someone else's level, they typically win due to experience.

I prefer the umpires and coaches handle it. It's obvious that didn't happen so now it should be up to the state or her future coaches.

As I stated earlier in this thread, if I was coaching and the umpire allowed the catcher to get away with it, my team would be coming off the field. Player safety is the #1 concern and if the umpire isn't enforcing it, I will.