Texas softball catcher takes 2 runners out at the plate

All Tell

• Replies 113
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If the pitcher was demonstrative after the last pitch' date=' in other words disagreed, and the catcher moved out of the direct line of the pitch and made no attempt to catch the ball and it hit me square in the chest....first I call a ball, then I eject, but only if I'm absolutely certain.[/quote']

Agreed. It is obvious if it was an intentional miss.

I agree with you on the immediate retaliation will cost you. If the first girl would of jumped up and took a swing at the catcher, that would be bad. But there is always next play, next inning, next game to send a message. I never said anything about blowing out her knee (I don't agree with that). Now if the umpire does his job and tosses her after the first elbow then laugh and wave bye to her but he allowed her to do it twice. I can promise you when I played college baseball that our team and any other team we played would of retaliated. 100% guaranteed and I have seen plenty of damage that a ball can do.

My college coach (who was an old school guy in most ways) would not have stood for retaliation, and the few times I saw it happen in college, it always resulted in an ejection (I played in the late 80's early 90's at the D1 level). That being said, I never saw anything like this happen twice like this. I also didn't mean to imply you said to take out her knees, but it has been mentioned by others in this thread. I just don't think having teenage kids retaliate by earholing someone sends a good message or gives you the results you want.

My college coach (who was an old school guy in most ways) would not have stood for retaliation, and the few times I saw it happen in college, it always resulted in an ejection (I played in the late 80's early 90's at the D1 level). That being said, I never saw anything like this happen twice like this. I also didn't mean to imply you said to take out her knees, but it has been mentioned by others in this thread. I just don't think having teenage kids retaliate by earholing someone sends a good message or gives you the results you want.

I've seen it a handful of times in college and been on the end of a bean ball (and knew it was coming but couldn't get out of the way). Every time I was apart of it a message was always sent. Let me be clear that I'm not advocating a pitch to the face and finishing a career. I say ear hole, but middle of the back or high and tight. College coach would of not been happy if a message wasn't sent. My roommate pitched for 12 years in the MLB and he would send a message with a 95 mph up and in if someone was crowding the plate or leaning over it and if the catcher did what she did, shame on them. But it's all good. You don't agree with a message and I do. That's what makes baseball a great game. Always like talking baseball whether i agree or not.

I've seen it a handful of times in college and been on the end of a bean ball (and knew it was coming but couldn't get out of the way). Every time I was apart of it a message was always sent. Let me be clear that I'm not advocating a pitch to the face and finishing a career. I say ear hole, but middle of the back or high and tight. College coach would of not been happy if a message wasn't sent. My roommate pitched for 12 years in the MLB and he would send a message with a 95 mph up and in if someone was crowding the plate or leaning over it and if the catcher did what she did, shame on them. But it's all good. You don't agree with a message and I do. That's what makes baseball a great game. Always like talking baseball whether i agree or not.

The only other thing I will say, is that I do think college, and especially MLB are completely different games from high school. You're dealing with older kids/Adults who are at different stages in their life. With pro's the game is their livelihood, and "sending a message" has a different meaning...you're protecting your career. College kids are adults as well. And at those levels, you are playing a series of games against a team. At the high school level you are still dealing with kids, and teaching life lessons are as important as winning and losing. And violent retaliation typically isn't well accepted in every day life.

The only other thing I will say, is that I do think college, and especially MLB are completely different games from high school. You're dealing with older kids/Adults who are at different stages in their life. With pro's the game is their livelihood, and "sending a message" has a different meaning...you're protecting your career. College kids are adults as well. And at those levels, you are playing a series of games against a team. At the high school level you are still dealing with kids, and teaching life lessons are as important as winning and losing. And violent retaliation typically isn't well accepted in every day life.

I agree with everything you said except the violent retaliation. I don't consider it violent but rather consider it teaching a life lesson to a bully. I guess its just the way I was raised. I wouldn't let the Pope, a catcher or Jesus Christ do that to me without sending a message. I'm not saying I'm right, just saying what I would of done.