Laptop repair in NKY?

SportsGuy41017

Any advice on a shop that repairs and upgrades laptops in NKY?

In January I bought a Toshiba Satellite laptop from Best Buy, I liked the style of the laptop I bought but I didn't just want a Pentium in it, I wanted an i5 or i7. The salesperson told me that I could upgrade it later if I wanted. Now I find out that may not be very easy. I figured if I am paying over $600 it shouldn't be an issue. So now I need to look for a good reliable shop to call and ask them if they can do this for me. Thanks!

Maxtech in Latonia. It's in the shopping center with Burlington Coat Factory. They repaired a Lenovo laptop for me back in the fall. I also picked up a nice refurbished laptop from there for my son that has been flawless.

Edited by rjs4470

I have never replaced a processor, but there are things that I was always told you need to consider. The first one is the processor is not considered consumer replaceable so replacing it means it voids the warranty in most cases. The two other things to make sure of are, is the mother board able to support the faster processor, and since the new CPU will likely generate more heat, can the fan handle it.

Why do you want/need the upgrade?

To me, the performance increase you're going to see from an i5 to an i7 will not be that great/ nor worth the money its going to take to do it.

I have a Pentium in it now, and I want either an i5 or i7. As I mentioned, I wanted either an i5 or i7 from the beginning but liked this model and was told I could upgrade it, then I find out it's not as easy as I was told.

Why do you want/need the upgrade?

To me, the performance increase you're going to see from an i5 to an i7 will not be that great/ nor worth the money its going to take to do it.

I was thinking that but wasn't sure if he had already purchased a new processor or not. Might look at upgrading the memory instead of the processor.

I have a Pentium in it now, and I want either an i5 or i7. As I mentioned, I wanted either an i5 or i7 from the beginning but liked this model and was told I could upgrade it, then I find out it's not as easy as I was told.

What is the model of the laptop? What processor do you have in it now? With laptops, for future reference, buy what you're going to want. Never plan on an upgrade, unless it's ram or a hard drive. those are easy.

I was thinking that but wasn't sure if he had already purchased a new processor or not. Might look at upgrading the memory instead of the processor.
:thumb:

I have replaced laptop processors and motherboards several times. It's a very tedious process (no pun). It will almost certainly cost you 2 hours of labor. Also, you'll need to make sure your current fan will be enough to keep the new processor cool.

I personally would upgrade your RAM first (less than $50 bucks and you can install it yourself).