April 5, 201511 yr I believe this story was embellished. The All A Classic was 4 days later and not a word was said about it. (not even a mention of it during the regular season of the 58th district). The post by 'concerned parent' just confirms my suspicions. IMHO *not saying it did not happen, just not the way it was printed. This is where my head is at. I also hate the way Bryan Station is being vilified.
April 5, 201511 yr I think most do, when it can be pinpointed. Most officials will deal with trash talking issues with no one else knowing it, talking to players is pretty typical during a game. This story has huge, gaping holes in it…it does not seem probable that these events could have occurred in the way they were reported without someone leaking it much, much sooner. I suspect some serious social media (that little guy that lives under the bridge collecting money) going on here…. I know what you're saying and to a point I agree but until they take real action (technicals in basketball, flags in football etc.) it will continue to get worse. I can't count the number of times over the years that I've seen officials in many sports give warnings but never follow up or seen coaches criticize officials when they warn players rather then addressing the behavior that got the warning in the first place. And for what it's worth I'm not trying to pile on officials here, it's an incredibly difficult job that I want no part of but I do believe there is more they can do to help clean it up.
April 6, 201511 yr This is where my head is at. I also hate the way Bryan Station is being vilified. Station always getting crapped on in the media? That's preposterous. It never happens. :idunno:
April 6, 201511 yr Someone, especially an adult, says something to my daughter. I'm not forgetting what it was in 3 months.
April 6, 201511 yr I know what you're saying and to a point I agree but until they take real action (technicals in basketball, flags in football etc.) it will continue to get worse. I can't count the number of times over the years that I've seen officials in many sports give warnings but never follow up or seen coaches criticize officials when they warn players rather then addressing the behavior that got the warning in the first place. And for what it's worth I'm not trying to pile on officials here, it's an incredibly difficult job that I want no part of but I do believe there is more they can do to help clean it up. No problem with whacking a player for unsporting behavior, which includes some language, nor a coach or bench...preventive officiating is still a better route IMO
April 6, 201511 yr No problem with whacking a player for unsporting behavior, which includes some language, nor a coach or bench...preventive officiating is still a better route IMO But I think that there is no argument that what draws a T now is much different then what used to draw a T and I see that as a big part of the problem. IMVHO ANY audible profanity should be T'ed. It's gotten way out of hand. I cringe when I hear one of the players on the team I support cuss and If I hear it others do as well. It makes you look low calss and reflects poorly on your team Initially lots of Ts will get called but as with everything else the players will adapt to it it will stop. Also IMVHO any taunting directed towards an opponent should be penalized, there's no need for it and it does nothing to make the game better. Why do you need to dunk over someone, then get in his face or mug to the crowd about it? What does it add to the game. There are ways to celebrate good plays that don't denigrate opponents. I agree that preventative officiating is a good thing but there needs to be follow-up and I can't count the number of times I've seen warning issued and never followed up on. Again I don't mean to denigrate officials, it's an incredibly difficult job that I know I couldn't do.
April 6, 201511 yr But I think that there is no argument that what draws a T now is much different then what used to draw a T and I see that as a big part of the problem. IMVHO ANY audible profanity should be T'ed. It's gotten way out of hand. I cringe when I hear one of the players on the team I support cuss and If I hear it others do as well. It makes you look low calss and reflects poorly on your team Initially lots of Ts will get called but as with everything else the players will adapt to it it will stop. Also IMVHO any taunting directed towards an opponent should be penalized, there's no need for it and it does nothing to make the game better. Why do you need to dunk over someone, then get in his face or mug to the crowd about it? What does it add to the game. There are ways to celebrate good plays that don't denigrate opponents. I agree that preventative officiating is a good thing but there needs to be follow-up and I can't count the number of times I've seen warning issued and never followed up on. Again I don't mean to denigrate officials, it's an incredibly difficult job that I know I couldn't do. All you need to do is look in the stands to see where the behavior has been learned. Today's fans are much different as well.
April 6, 201511 yr All you need to do is look in the stands to see where the behavior has been learned. Today's fans are much different as well. I concur and have said as much before. There's no place at all for cheering sections that personally attack players on the floor. There's no place for crude, vulgar or obscene actions from cheering sections. There's really no such place for that behavior when it is tacitly approved by the adults at a school when they do nothing to immediately address it. I remember a few years ago Trinity played a football game at Ballard. T's QB was the son of then UofL head coach Steve Kragthorp. The entire game when Trinity's offense was on the field the Ballard Students had a 2 part chant "Kragthorp sucks, just like his daddy". As I said it went on the entire game, Ballard's administrators did nothing to stop it. In that situation I don't blame the kids as much as the adults who let it continue.
April 9, 201511 yr Late this afternoon, Bryan Station High School principal Mike Henderson told us the Fayette County public schools disputes the article's version of events. He said, “When the story appeared and raised allegations of harassment and discrimination directed toward a single player we were shocked and began an investigation. We're still gathering information but we have found several gross inaccuracies the cast doubt on the legitimacy of the story” Eastern Kentucky basketball player claims harassment after basketball game
April 10, 201511 yr Sounds like another false flag to raise support for being gay. I'm sure msnbc would have picked it up if it was even close to being true
April 10, 201511 yr Sounds like another false flag to raise support for being gay. I'm sure msnbc would have picked it up if it was even close to being true It's true, it's just not as one-sided as the article portrayed it.
April 10, 201511 yr It's true, it's just not as one-sided as the article portrayed it. I'm disappointed some adults let this play on like this. The losers are the kids involved. This should have never been reported in this manner.
June 10, 201511 yr Was there ever any resolution to this story? The kid was honored in Boston yesterday at a gay pride event. I'll find the link. http://www.wkyt.com/home/headlines/Gay-Floyd-County-basketball-player-honored-306728021.html?device=phone&c=y
June 10, 201511 yr The kid was honored in Boston yesterday at a gay pride event. I'll find the link. Gay Floyd County basketball player honored So I think it's pretty evident that this story was not entirely accurate, yet instead of printing a retraction / correction, we endorse the behavior by "honoring" a person who fabricated it ? More importantly, an entire school or school system in this case, appears to get smeared and we still fly a person to Boston to give a speech and be honored ? Next think you know we'll be handing out courage awards to guys who believe the've had women trapped in their bodies for 6 decades....
Archived
This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.