April 3, 201511 yr Wireman, we all give you our permission:)... We're not attorneys, but we did stay at a Holiday Inn Express.
April 3, 201511 yr Here's what I am told by a source I trust who saw these things first hand... The story that was told in the article is TRUE, but there were a few details that were left out. According to the source, a player or players from the other team did say some homophobic slurs towards the kid in question. At some point during the talk, however, a teammate of the kid shouted an ethnic slur. From there it escalated and did eventually end up with people in cars allegedly following the bus. The source says that 9-1-1 was called so there should be a public record of that call. The source also says that coaches from both teams discussed the entire incident afterwards and agreed that all players involved would be punished accordingly. I'm not sure that everyone is happy that this report has surfaced now but that's just an assumption made on my part. NOTE: there are a few details that I'm still looking into and will not post anything further until I have talked to a few other people. I'm comfortable putting this out and it's from a source that I trust 100%.
April 3, 201511 yr That sounds pretty close to what probably happened I'm sure both coaches didn't want that stuff publicized or condoned actions by both teams. But one kid did make a deal out of it apparently
April 3, 201511 yr So it's really a handshake line gone bad….and then it turned into a coming out…and the chasing may have had nothing to do with the coming out……but tying it all together makes it a sensational story, with an unclear motive. Still surprised there was no word of this anywhere when it happened.
April 4, 201511 yr I have some first hand knowledge of the incident and I am not sure it still is being reported accurately. I cannot speak to what was said during game but I know there was trash talking. But since I did not hear actual exchanges I will not repeat what my son told me. I do know during the time my son has played at Station racial slurs are not uncommon at any time. And it is very common (very very) that the student sections at opposing schools have THUG night whenever they play Station. By the way they dress and carry themselves, this is very racially motivated and no one ever censors these actions. But back to Betsy Layne. We (my family including son) left after incident at bus. We had been inside watching the game after ours. I do know the Station players I saw inside were very unconcerned with anything to do with Betsy Layne. Like I said previously, racial slurs are not uncommon. As we were leaving, the Betsy Layne bus was still right outside the school and the coaches and parents were all standing around. No other Station players or parents were in the parking lot at that time. We got the stare down and then one of the coaches said something mean to my daughter. (Cannot remember exact words because too long ago). They kept staring at us so we got in car and waited to see what was going on. They finally all pulled away and we pulled out behind them and went home. We did not see any cars chasing them. Heck, maybe they thought we were. Even though we went opposite way. The next day we arrived at the same time as their bus. Again we saw no police escort. I cannot believe the way this story is being told. They make it seem like the whole team chased this kid down. Believe me when I say the kids from Station could care less if someone is gay. It was irrelevant to the game. These kids are some of the nicest young men I have ever met and I am proud both my kids will be Bryan Station alumni. Station is an outstanding school and the boys basketball team this year was an outstanding group of student athletes. I hate that only the negative stuff gets reported.
April 4, 201511 yr I have read this entire thread and I'm confused. Did the supposed slur happen between players on the floor or was the supposed slur yelled from the stands?
April 4, 201511 yr I have read this entire thread and I'm confused. Did the supposed slur happen between players on the floor or was the supposed slur yelled from the stands? My take its the players. From what it looks, the gay slurs were first, followed by racial slurs. Im not saying it's right, but if one person or group of people start off with slurs towards another, don't get all upset when they throw it back at you, as you may deserve it.
April 4, 201511 yr Wireman is creditable. Until there is proof otherwise I'll stand behind his reports. If this happened any other way then Station needs to stand up and clear the air.
April 4, 201511 yr My take its the players. From what it looks, the gay slurs were first, followed by racial slurs. Im not saying it's right, but if one person or group of people start off with slurs towards another, don't get all upset when they throw it back at you, as you may deserve it. From the way things were worded in Wireman's post, I don't know if that's necessarily correct. He just said "at some point during the talk". Maybe a matter of semantics, but it's not really clear when that is, at least to me.
April 4, 201511 yr I have some first hand knowledge of the incident and I am not sure it still is being reported accurately. I cannot speak to what was said during game but I know there was trash talking. But since I did not hear actual exchanges I will not repeat what my son told me. I do know during the time my son has played at Station racial slurs are not uncommon at any time. And it is very common (very very) that the student sections at opposing schools have THUG night whenever they play Station. By the way they dress and carry themselves, this is very racially motivated and no one ever censors these actions. But back to Betsy Layne. We (my family including son) left after incident at bus. We had been inside watching the game after ours. I do know the Station players I saw inside were very unconcerned with anything to do with Betsy Layne. Like I said previously, racial slurs are not uncommon. As we were leaving, the Betsy Layne bus was still right outside the school and the coaches and parents were all standing around. No other Station players or parents were in the parking lot at that time. We got the stare down and then one of the coaches said something mean to my daughter. (Cannot remember exact words because too long ago). They kept staring at us so we got in car and waited to see what was going on. They finally all pulled away and we pulled out behind them and went home. We did not see any cars chasing them. Heck, maybe they thought we were. Even though we went opposite way. The next day we arrived at the same time as their bus. Again we saw no police escort. I cannot believe the way this story is being told. They make it seem like the whole team chased this kid down. Believe me when I say the kids from Station could care less if someone is gay. It was irrelevant to the game. These kids are some of the nicest young men I have ever met and I am proud both my kids will be Bryan Station alumni. Station is an outstanding school and the boys basketball team this year was an outstanding group of student athletes. I hate that only the negative stuff gets reported. Nice first post, Concerned Parent. Welcome to BGP!
April 4, 201511 yr My take its the players. From what it looks, the gay slurs were first, followed by racial slurs. Im not saying it's right, but if one person or group of people start off with slurs towards another, don't get all upset when they throw it back at you, as you may deserve it. The reason I asked is because if it was on the floor then it's another example of how low brow the whole trash talking phenomenon has become. It's not enough anymore to just defeat a player on the court, you also have to show them up. I wish referees would grow the stones to really penalize it and coaches would grow the character to back referees up when their trash talking players are penalized and that goes both ways in this situation. If it came from the stands then there should have been corrective action taken quickly and decisively. As much as I love seeing schools that strongly support their athletic teams, I abhor those that think the best way to do it is by demeaning people on the other team.
April 5, 201511 yr I believe this story was embellished. The All A Classic was 4 days later and not a word was said about it. (not even a mention of it during the regular season of the 58th district). The post by 'concerned parent' just confirms my suspicions. IMHO *not saying it did not happen, just not the way it was printed. Edited April 5, 201511 yr by Equaltonone clarifaction
April 5, 201511 yr The reason I asked is because if it was on the floor then it's another example of how low brow the whole trash talking phenomenon has become. It's not enough anymore to just defeat a player on the court, you also have to show them up. I wish referees would grow the stones to really penalize it and coaches would grow the character to back referees up when their trash talking players are penalized and that goes both ways in this situation. If it came from the stands then there should have been corrective action taken quickly and decisively. As much as I love seeing schools that strongly support their athletic teams, I abhor those that think the best way to do it is by demeaning people on the other team. I think most do, when it can be pinpointed. Most officials will deal with trash talking issues with no one else knowing it, talking to players is pretty typical during a game. This story has huge, gaping holes in it…it does not seem probable that these events could have occurred in the way they were reported without someone leaking it much, much sooner. I suspect some serious social media (that little guy that lives under the bridge collecting money) going on here….
Archived
This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.