Scorekeeping Question

Batter A strikes out.

Batter B grounds out.

Batter C singles to left field.

Batter D grounds to short who throws to the 2B to get the force out.

For the inning do you score it:

0 R

1 H

0 E

1 LOB or

0 R

1 H

0 E

0 LOB

Please provide the reason or rule to back your opinion.

I'm not going to research the rule, but I think the first scenerio you listed is correct. A batter reached on a single, how could you not have a runner left on base.

Had there been less than two outs, even if batter D reached first safely, he would not be credited with a hit as it should be scored as a fielders choice.

Having done MANY baseball games over the years and currently doing college games here at NKU, your first option was correct. Many people don't understand the ruling because they think that since the last out was recorded before the batter reached first but officially he/she has to get credit for the base so therefore he/she is considered left on base.

Batter A strikes out.

Batter B grounds out.

Batter C singles to left field.

Batter D grounds to short who throws to the 2B to get the force out.

For the inning do you score it:

0 R

1 H

0 E

1 LOB

I also believe this is the correct scoring and since the batter who hit into the fielders choice, is credited with a plate appearance and time at-bat (0-1)

So if the runner never reaches first base, what base is he left on???

Because had the play been made at first the runner between first and second would be considered left on first...

By the way, I believe that for this inning there were 0 runners LOB. Unless you consider him left @ Home, which would really leave me confused.

And if anybody could show me the ruling I would appreciate it. Thanks!

Because had the play been made at first the runner between first and second would be considered left on first...

By the way, I believe that for this inning there were 0 runners LOB. Unless you consider him left @ Home, which would really leave me confused.

He did reach 1b, on the fielder's choice.

Here you go.

The official score report prescribed by the league president shall make provisions for entering the information listed below, in a form convenient for the compilation of permanent statistical records: (a) The following records for each batter and runner: (1) Number of times he batted, except that no time at bat shall be charged against a player when (i) He hits a sacrifice bunt or sacrifice fly (ii) He is awarded first base on four called balls (iii) He is hit by a pitched ball (iv) He is awarded first base because of interference or obstruction. (2) Number of runs scored (3) Number of safe hits (4) Number of runs batted in (5) Two base hits (6) Three base hits (7) Home runs (8) Total bases on safe hits (9) Stolen bases (10) Sacrifice bunts (11) Sacrifice flies (12) Total number of bases on balls (13) Separate listing of any intentional bases on balls (14) Number of times hit by a pitched ball (15) Number of times awarded first base for interference or obstruction. (16) Strikeouts (b) The following records for each fielder: (1) Number of putouts (2) Number of assists (3) Number of errors (4) Number of double plays participated in (5) Number of triple plays participated in © The following records for each pitcher: (1) Number of innings pitched. NOTE: In computing innings pitched, count each putout as one third of an inning. If a starting pitcher is replaced with one out in the sixth inning, credit that pitcher with 5 1/3 innings. If a starting pitcher is replaced with none out in the sixth inning, credit that pitcher with 5 innings, and make the notation that he faced ___ batters in the sixth. If a relief pitcher retires two batters and is replaced, credit that pitcher with 2/3 inning pitched. (2) Total number of batters faced (3) Number of batters officially at bat against pitcher computed according to 10.02 (a) (1). (4) Number of hits allowed (5) Number of runs allowed (6) Number of earned runs allowed (7) Number of home runs allowed (8) Number of sacrifice hits allowed (9) Number of sacrifice flies allowed (10) Total number of bases on balls allowed (11) Separate listing of any intentional bases on balls allowed (12) Number of batters hit by pitched balls (13) Number of strikeouts (14) Number of wild pitches (15) Number of balks (d) The following additional data: (1) Name of the winning pitcher (2) Name of the losing pitcher (3) Names of the starting pitcher and the finishing pitcher for each team. (4) Name of pitcher credited with save. (e) Number of passed balls allowed by each catcher. (f) Name of players participating in double plays and triple plays. EXAMPLE: Double Plays_Jones, Roberts and Smith (2). Triple Play_Jones and Smith. (g) Number of runners left on base by each team. This total shall include all runners who get on base by any means and who do not score and are not put out. Include in this total a batter runner whose batted ball results in another runner being retired for the third out. (h) Names of batters who hit home runs with bases full. (i) Names of batters who ground into force double plays and reverse force double plays. (j) Names of runners caught stealing. (k) Number of outs when winning run scored, if game is won in last half inning. (l) The score by innings for each team. (m) Names of umpires, listed in this order (1) plate umpire, (2) first base umpire, (3) second base umpire, (4) third base umpire. (n) Time required to play the game, with delays for weather or light failure deducted.