44th District Tournament Preview (11th Region)

Things get underway in the 44th on Tuesday night, as EKU's McBeyer Arena will host the action.

The 44th draws, and the two teams who'd likely be considered the top 2 wound up drawing one another in Madison Central and Madison Southern.

In the other bracket, Model and Berea will battle it out with a berth to the regional tournament on the line.

Madison Central vs. Madison Southern:

Madison Central could be a bit shorthanded coming into the district. However, big man Sam Jones is an anchor inside and will lead the Indians' charge. He, along with senior sniper Kirkland Humphrey, who was electric in the Lexington Catholic game and can get hot in a hurry, will look to close out a career that includes a fourth district title. The Indians' will revolve around Jones and try to work inside-out and get shots to kids like Humphrey, Terique Miller, and John Williams for open jumpers if the defense overplays and collapses around Mount Jones. They'll also possibly let junior Cameron Thomas use his athleticism to go to work in a two-man game with Jones, which creates a situation that can definitely pose problems for opposing defenses, however, Thomas did not play in their most recent win against Franklin County and might not be able to go from hereon. Regardless, the Indians are well-coached and disciplined, and it's tough to get them off of their game when their guards are knocking down open looks. Look for Griffin Hotchkiss (Sr., F), Grant Brockton (Jr., G), and Jacob Taylor (Sr., C) to provide minutes in various rotations as well.

Madison Southern will start Stacy Burns and Tanner Kidwell, Caleb Miller (11 PPG), Mike Jefferson (7 PPG), and either Griff Gabbard, who leads the team in rebounding, or Andrew Miller. Burns and Kidwell, a pair of juniors, are the team's leading scorers and form a nice guard-forward duo. The Eagles are no pushover, as they've beaten East Jessamine and Woodford County while losing close contests to the likes of West Jessamine, George Rogers Clark, and Lincoln County, all of whom they played within 15.

Madison Central won the team's only meeting in the first game of the season at Central by a score of 69-48.

Model vs. Berea:

Model won the team's only meeting on Jan. 9 at Berea by a 61-54 final margin, so expect a good one.

For the Patriots, it's all about a pair of talented juniors, as guard Ephraim Otieno and forward Alex Chen have carried the team through the majority of the season. Otieno's star really began to shine last season after an impressive showing against Madison Central in the District Tournament, so don't be surprised if he steps up and seizes the moment with another 20+ point effort. Chen has been a workhorse on the boards thus far, and has had some big double-double type efforts scattered throughout the season. Garrison Gray, Alex Clawson, Andrew Backus, Emory Cornette, Logan Jackson, and Will Feese should round out the lineups.

Berea will count on 6’3 junior forward Deondre Tate, 6’1 junior forward Shyiem Alexander, and 6'0 center Dustin Kates in the front court. 6’1 junior guard Bradley Atkins is a sharpshooter. Tate, Alexander, and Atkins are the team's primary offensive weapons, and scored 40 of the team's 50 points in the regular season contest with Model. Austin Warford, Derek Castle, Caleb Clowers, Elliot Sandberg, and Cody Warford will all provide depth and round out any rotations.

I really like he fact the still draw the district tournament.

Why? This is has got to be the dumbest idea ever. No way Model or Berea deserve to go to the regional tournament. So some lucky team will basically get a bye in the 1st round of the region. I understand why Model and Berea vote the way they do, but really it punishes Central and Southern, who year in and out are usually the two best teams in this district. It happened last year in baseball/softball as well. I don't like it, the district tournament should serve as a qualifying tournament so that the 2 best teams have the best (at-least statistical) chance of making it to the region. In other sports this plays a huge role in the playing out of the regional tournament. Just my humble opinion.

I think most people would agree that the fairest method would be to seed, but the khsaa has to mandate that or make this a 5 team district through realignment. I've been on both sides of this as an administrator and you have to vote in the best interest of your school.

I would disagree that it's unfair to Central, they have won like 20 districts in a row, so I can't imagine they care. Also, Model did beat Woodford a few weeks ago, so it wouldn't necessarily be an easy win if the draw went that direction.

Why? This is has got to be the dumbest idea ever. No way Model or Berea deserve to go to the regional tournament. So some lucky team will basically get a bye in the 1st round of the region. I understand why Model and Berea vote the way they do, but really it punishes Central and Southern, who year in and out are usually the two best teams in this district. It happened last year in baseball/softball as well. I don't like it, the district tournament should serve as a qualifying tournament so that the 2 best teams have the best (at-least statistical) chance of making it to the region. In other sports this plays a huge role in the playing out of the regional tournament. Just my humble opinion.

I like it for the purpose that who knows the underdog may win a few games.

Honestly I think it is dumb to take the runner -up into the regional tournament. If you are not good enough to win your district why be allowed to advance?

Honestly I think it is dumb to take the runner -up into the regional tournament. If you are not good enough to win your district why be allowed to advance?

Runner-up advancing is actually a relic of the years when Kentucky basketball was classed. The Class A and Class B champ advanced to the region (and the same pattern was followed from region to state). When the format was changed away from classification in the mid-1930s, the runner-up was allowed to advance and it has never been changed.

Tell that to the 4 teams that advanced to the Sweet 16 last season after not winning districts. In fact the State Champs and runner up lost their district.

My thing with the district runner-ups: sometimes I feel coaches aren't coaching to win those games like they are any other tournament game, at least to the same "win at all costs, no time to save this play, we can't run it from home" mentality that they would have if it were an elimination game.

If you are a regional contender and you are capable of losing in the district final, then it's probably to another regional contender who you could well meet again in the finals.

What I'm trying to say: if you are Bowling Green/Warren Central, and you are the odds on favorite to meet each other again in the regional final, then I'm trying to win the district final, but I'm not pulling out all the stops. I'd prefer to leave a little something up my sleeve.

In the 4th, the Bowling Green district is the one no one wants to draw. One goes in as a winner, one a loser. People don't really care as much about not being a winner or loser, they worry about how they draw the Bowling Green district.

Same for the 5th region with the Elizabethtown/North Hardin district in lots of seasons.

Let's be honest here MADISON CENTRAL is the only team in the 44th district that plays basketball. Madison Southern is NOT a good program. They have had a few decent teams, and a couple 20 win seasons, but this team has NEVER won an 11th Region game in their almost 30 year history. Are they better than Model and Berea?...sure they are, but it really doesn't matter. Madison Southern has played some good teams this year, but they have a losing record and every year that this has happened they act like its a tragedy. Win a Region game...BEAT CENTRAL occasionally and then you will have a TRUE case for seeding.

Let's be honest here MADISON CENTRAL is the only team in the 44th district that plays basketball. Madison Southern is NOT a good program. They have had a few decent teams, and a couple 20 win seasons, but this team has NEVER won an 11th Region game in their almost 30 year history. Are they better than Model and Berea?...sure they are, but it really doesn't matter. Madison Southern has played some good teams this year, but they have a losing record and every year that this has happened they act like its a tragedy. Win a Region game...BEAT CENTRAL occasionally and then you will have a TRUE case for seeding.

Thanks so much for making me feel so old:/

When I was at Madison Central, Southern was just a middle school (Foley) and the district was Central, Model, Berea, and Madison High. I can't believe that was 30+years ago...

Thanks so much for making me feel so old:/

When I was at Madison Central, Southern was just a middle school (Foley) and the district was Central, Model, Berea, and Madison High. I can't believe that was 30+years ago...

Southern opened in 1991 or 92..I believe .. Which is far as less than 30.. But nonetheless , central has won every district except 1995 as I recall .. Southern has only beaten central maybe 3-4 times .. Central has enrollment approaching 2000 and plays in one of the weakest districts anywhere .. Pretty good situation there.. I agree , southern could or should have won a few games along the way

Interesting night in the 44th, but the Indians survive and advance.

I really don't like that Madison Southern won't make the regional tournament because I think they are probably the only team in that district that can take Central to OT in a tournament game. In the grand scheme of things, it's probably not a huge difference, but you have to think that all the 11th winners will be hoping to draw the Model/Berea winner. Not a knock on either of those teams, just the reality of it.

Just because Southern hasn't been very good in the past, doesn't mean on a consistent basis that they aren't the 2nd best team in the district. Model-Berea making the region doesn't help anybody really. Now true that Southern most years would not help that much either, but if they played like they did last night, they could at the very least make some 11th Region teams compete. Nothing against the other two schools but they probably would not. Central has taken the brunt of this as well in other sports such as Girls Basketball this year and Softball last year. They were by far the 2nd best team out of that district. Just my humble opinion (and its no more valuable than anyone else's) but you should get to the region by beating the teams you should, not by the luck of the draw.