All 11th Region Regular Season Teams

How athletic is Station? I mean they have always been known for athletes but it just seems they are really stacked with a lot of them coming back too.

Athletic even by Station's standards. You'll have to go back to 08 to find a team this athletic for them.

2008 was they year they had Mack (NBA), Terrell Combs (UK football), Ashford, DeColby Brunette.

Here's how I'd describe tham in terms of athleticsm:

Tequan Claitt is a state qualifier for a few events and runs some pretty blazing times for a guy his size. He could definitely have a track scholarship and I'm thinking that it could be his best sport (he was also an All-City WR too). Basketball is definitely his worst sport in terms of what he's most talented at... not hugely skilled but just a freak athlete.

CJ Walker, their PG, is going to UK a (preferred) walk-on. His expected positions are WR and KR. So, yea... crazy good athlete, but football is also his best sport, and football is what he's best at.

Andre Davis the QB of the football team (who was solid last year, IIRC), and basketball is probably his best sport.

DeAndre Dishman, who isn't considered to be the athlete that any of those are, is the kid with that ferocious dunk at Tates Creek where he took off a few steps inside the paint, but still crushed on that went all over the guy who tired to lake a charge. Ronnie Carson comes off the bench and led the 12th region in scoring last year.

This year, the thing that makes Station different, at least in terms of athletes, is that most years it's really fast kids, but not really a lot of big bodes. This year, all those athletes have different sizes, frames, etc., so your 5 best basketball players and those five also happened to be your five best athletes.

How athletic is Station? I mean they have always been known for athletes but it just seems they are really stacked with a lot of them coming back too.

Gamebreaker.... I thought about this one some more and think that this is a better answer when you append it to my last one too.

Station is always one of the more athletic teams in Lexington. Usually, however, they are small. This year, they have a kid in Claitt that is a bit undersized, but still about 6'3 and reminds you of a Kenneth Faried-- maybe it's the dreads, but the kid just has a motor that won't stop. Great example, he's not the most skilled kid, but against Lafayette, he goes one on one, misses the shot, grabs the rebound over 3 kids, misses, grabs the rebound over 3 kids, puts it back in. The kid goes 110 mph and it makes up for the lack of height and the fact that he's not going to scare people shooting it.

Then you've also got DeAndre Dishman. He's probably their 4th most athletic player (is the only one that didn't play multiple sports, at least at one time, as Claitt, Walker, and Davis played football for Station and Carson did at East Jessamine as well). He's about 6'5 and, despite being what I'd consider their 4th most athletic player, had 3 dunks against Lafayette-- in the second quarter alone.

Walker is going to play football at UK as a WR/KR, and you can see the video of that transition dunk he threw down or his highlight tape and that's basically the story on him.

Andre Davis is their QB in football, and despite not being over 6'1, can still throw down with two hands. He's their leading scorer in terms of PPG, and is quick and explosive. Not a bad QB either.

Carson is able to throw down with two hands as well, and is always getting to the line. I think he was a WR while at East Jessamine, and I can definitely see him being a good football player as well.

It's not just that Station is so athletic, it's that usually they are small and just have a ton of guards who do the same thing, but this season, two of their top athletes are kids with the size to make it work. I've done a bad job of talking about how much Dishman has improved this season, but he's going to be one of the best in the city next year, and is already getting up there as is. If you didn't see those dunks in the video I linked, go check them out.

Finally, I don't follow track a ton, but in some of the webcasts I've watched, apparently Claitt and Walker are stellar track athletes. As in, like contending for State in some events.

Sorry guys, I'll be out of pocket for a few days. Have some important work in front of me until Friday night. Can tell you that I've heard the same as everyone else. Station may still be the team to beat though. They played well without him for a large portion of the year and did well. That's not to say Carson isn't talented. I don't know the story, but like everyone else, am hearing the same thing. I hope the best for all the kids around the State, especially in the 11th, and think that Carson is a really talented kid who has probably been through a lot over the past season given, so I'm hoping things work out for him one way or another.

One thing that more than a couple of Station teams that I'd seen over the years seemed to lack was discipline. I will say that if this was a warranted coaching decision, then you have to tip your hat to Mr. Tommy Johnson. I thought Ligon did a good job overall, but that there were some rough patches at other points, but IF there needs to be a culture change, then that might not be the worst thing.

Again, IF that were the case, then it probably isn't an easy decision to sit a kid that talented, and to do it this late in the season. Honestly, there aren't lots of coaches who'll do it, but I've followed the game for over a decade and, without naming any of the kids they've sat or trying to spark a discussion on that, I'll say that there are some successful coaches that stick out to me because they haven't cared to sit a talented kid on a really good team. I think it says a lot about being in the company of names like Mike Szabo, Kelly Wells, Allen Feldhaus, and Tim Riley, all of whom have won the biggest prize but also haven't cared at all to sit a kid in a high stakes game to get the point across.

Final note: just because I've left a coach off of this doesn't mean I don't think they'd do the same, it's just that those four are ones who have had a time where they've make a call on winning with integrity and showing that you don't have to sacrifice discipline for wins that really sticks out in my mind.