State

Just Jim

Agreed! There was no reason for the KHSAA to attempt to blame another party. Plus, with the expected weather this weekend, it will still be difficult for all competitors and schools to be there if they come in a school bus.

Youth is not a school based event. It's sanctioned by USA wrestling and schools have no say in whether kids can participate or not, and as far as I know, none provide transportation.

• Replies 43
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Youth is not a school based event. It's sanctioned by USA wrestling and schools have no say in whether kids can participate or not, and as far as I know, none provide transportation.

Yes, I know. My comment was about the KHSAA, The "Plus, with the expected weather this weekend, it will still be difficult for all competitors and schools to be there if they come in a school bus." was about how the KHSAA attempted to throw blame on to another party to make it look like they were trying to get it in this weekend. But with the weather expected this weekend, it will still be almost impossible for many school busses to get there.

• 3 weeks later...
OK, is there anyone else that may be going that may be able to give updates?

You can follow the tournament at Trackwrestling.com LLC. Just search for tournaments by state and you'll find it. I'm not sure if they will be scoring live, but the brackets should be updated in pretty close to real time. You'll also be able to follow team scores, and upcoming bouts. It's really easy to follow on the mobile site, PM me if you want details on how to do so.

Fern Creek wins the team title.

Nky gets 4 state champs.

Erdman (Ryle) 126

Meiman (Ryle) 160 champ at 170 last year

Myers (Camp.Co) 220 4x champ

Johnson (Dixie) 285 repeat champ

Who was the Most Outstanding Wrestler?

Fern Creek wins the team title.

Nky gets 4 state champs.

Erdman (Ryle) 126

Meiman (Ryle) 160 champ at 170 last year

Myers (Camp.Co) 220 4x champ

Johnson (Dixie) 285 repeat champ

Who was the Most Outstanding Wrestler?

Austin Myers -MOW

Branden Johnson Most pins /least time

Austin Myers -MOW

Branden Johnson Most pins /least time

Austin Myers is a beast and I love to watch him wrestle but what Johnson does with his size is impressive. For me I can't stand watching HWT matches, not a lot of movement and a lot of leaning on each other. Johnson though moves really well and is quick and very fun to watch.

Glad to see the awards go to 2 NKY kids.

Four NKY wrestlers win championships at state meet

James Weber of Enquirer Media reports seven Northern Kentucky wrestlers have made it to tonight's final title matches for their weight classes at the state wrestling tournament in Lexington. There are 14 weight classes all told. He will update with a full story later tonight.

By weight class, they are (with some early results):

106 - Tanner Yenter of Campbell County (Finished runner-up)

113 - Brady Wells of Campbell County (Finished runner-up)

126 - Logan Erdman of Ryle (First state title winner)

160 - Johnny Meiman of Ryle

195 - Elijah Miller of Simon Kenton

220 - Austin Myers of Campbell County

285 - Branden Johnson of Dixie Heights

UPDATE 9:15 p.m. Four of those seven won state championships: Erdman, Meiman, Myers and Johnson. A story for print deadline on NKY.com features the two Ryle champions. Further coverage on Myers and Johnson will follow on Thursday.

Johnson finished 16-0 and repeated as state champion, winning all five matches by pin this week. Myers is 60-0 and did not lose a match his entire four-year Kentucky career.

Northern Kentucky showed its overall depth in rarely-seen ways.

Almost half of the local wrestlers who started the meet – 26 out of 55 (one wrestler scratched and was replaced in the bracket by a non-local) – won a state medal for finishing in the top eight in their 32-man weight class. Besides the seven finalists, another 12 finished either third or fourth.

All 10 Region 6 teams that had a state qualifier had at least one medalist. Campbell County had six, Ryle five, Walton-Verona and Cooper three. District rivals Dixie Heights, Scott and Simon Kenton had two each. Boone County, Newport and Conner had one each.

For pictures from tonight's finals with medalists on the awards stand, check out James' Twitter feed at @JWeberSports.

State medalists

Boone County: Ahmad Hameidan (4th at 220), Campbell County: Tanner Yenter (2nd at 106), Brady Wells (2nd at 113), Dakota Lillie (4th at 120), Bryan Spahr (7th at 138), Eli Matthews (4th at 182), Austin Myers (State champion at 220), Conner: Tristin Badida (4th at 152), Cooper: Jordan Monroe (4th at 126), Kyle Steiner (6th at 132), Jordan Kidwell (7th at 152), Dixie Heights: Joey Scaggs (3rd at 120), Branden Johnson (State champion at 285), Newport: Gage Jones (5th at 182), Ryle: Logan Erdman (State champion at 126), Jack Dorne (8th at 145), Jon Belk (3rd at 152), Johnny Meiman (State champion at 160), Ryan Woolf (3rd at 170), Scott: Dale Hensley (7th at 132), Tony Ashford (4th at 145), Simon Kenton: Casey Cornett (3rd at 182), Elijah Miller (2nd at 195), Walton-Verona: Blake Roth (8th at 106), Ryan Moore (3rd at 113), Mason Smith (3rd at 132).

Notes: Campbell County finished fourth in team standings. Fern Creek was team champion. Branden Johnson (5 pins, 6:16) won Most Pins in Least Total Time. Austin Myers was named Most Outstanding Wrestler.