State

Just Jim

Wonder if the weather will impact things? Some schools probably can't practice this week, or practice much. Might some teams not even make it to the tournament? I think some schools don't let the teams go on their busses if school is cancelled and they are not allowed to go unless they go on the bus.

• Replies 43
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

^ Well, The snow should be out of the way by Wednesday night, leaving at least all day Thursday and Friday morning to get to Lexington. I would think that they would go and just stay until the weather clears Sunday or Monday after the weekend storm. I agree that some won't allow their busses to go out. If I am a parent I would make sure my kid gets there.

I was going to go Saturday, but depending on the weather I may just go Friday and come back that night.

from khsaa

2015 Wrestling Weather Update

As of February 18, 6:00 a.m. (ET) - The State Wrestling Tournament, to be held in Lexington this weekend, is still on schedule as of this time. All classes will be given a one-pound growth allowance for day one weigh-ins.

^ Well, The snow should be out of the way by Wednesday night, leaving at least all day Thursday and Friday morning to get to Lexington. I would think that they would go and just stay until the weather clears Sunday or Monday after the weekend storm. I agree that some won't allow their busses to go out. If I am a parent I would make sure my kid gets there.

I was going to go Saturday, but depending on the weather I may just go Friday and come back that night.

Wrestling starts Friday morning, no way can teams travel Friday. Weigh-ins are at 8 AM

I have no idea what I'm going to do now. Was originally going up Friday and Saturday but now I'm not so sure. Curious to see how KHSAA proceeds. If they go on with it this weekend I see a real possibility of entire schools, heck an entire region not being able to send kids. But, the logistics of rescheduling are arduous at best. All in all, a really tough situation to deal with.

Wonder if the teams from Fayette county are allowed to go?

FayetteCountySchools @ItsAboutKidsFC

· 26m 26 minutes ago

Due to inclement weather, all Fayette County Public Schools will be closed on Thursday, February 19, 2015 and Friday, February 20, 2015.

FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE: February 18, 2015

In the interest of the safety and welfare of our competitors, coaches, workers and officials, and to ensure that participation experience for the student-athletes is optimal, the KHSAA has postponed the State Wrestling Championships, originally scheduled for February 19-21, until March 9-11.

“KHSAA State events are large-scale undertakings, and with the expansion of the State Tournament several years ago, we are very limited in options for holding the event,” said Commissioner Julian Tackett. “We absolutely have to be able to put down at least eight mats to get the tournament completed in two days, and that in and of itself limits our options. We are thankful our hosting partners at the Alltech Arena on the grounds of the Kentucky Horse Park were able to work out new dates. We tried to work cooperatively with another event that is scheduled for Sunday and rearrange schedules, but that group was unwilling to move, leaving us very few options.”

KHSAA Assistant Commissioner Michael Barren, who oversees the sport of Wrestling, added, “we have been able in very short order to rebook the large block of rooms we use at the official headquarters, and reschedule vendors and secure the arena on the first available three-day period for that facility. It was critical in working with the Commissioner that we make this decision as early as possible in the interest of the safety and welfare of our competitors, coaches, workers and officials. We will allow a one pound growth allowance for each of the weight classes in an additional effort to accommodate this postponement.”

Tackett stated that a great many options were reviewed before finalizing this move. “These championships are years in the making and scheduling, and it isn’t easy to simply move any of them. I know that Mike (Barren) and his tournament staff will work with the folks at Alltech Arena to get things moved in on March 9, and utilize the regular schedule for March 10 and 11, as we work to get this event completed and allow the students their well-earned opportunity to compete. I am sure from the micro-view of the many constituents, there will be second guessing and other alternatives suggested, but my job, and that of our office, is to weigh all of the factors and make the best decision we can for the entire state. The one pound growth allowance would have been a problem in the past, but with the emphasis on safe weight management, the wrestlers are required to be at or near their normal weight and should be able to maintain without issues. It will be difficult for our office to manage this event nearly simultaneously with the start of our girls’ basketball tournament, but we have successfully managed overlapping events before and will call on our legions of volunteers and workers to ensure that both events are first class for the students and all involved.”

– KHSAA –

FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE: February 18, 2015

In the interest of the safety and welfare of our competitors, coaches, workers and officials, and to ensure that participation experience for the student-athletes is optimal, the KHSAA has postponed the State Wrestling Championships, originally scheduled for February 19-21, until March 9-11.

“KHSAA State events are large-scale undertakings, and with the expansion of the State Tournament several years ago, we are very limited in options for holding the event,” said Commissioner Julian Tackett. “We absolutely have to be able to put down at least eight mats to get the tournament completed in two days, and that in and of itself limits our options. We are thankful our hosting partners at the Alltech Arena on the grounds of the Kentucky Horse Park were able to work out new dates. We tried to work cooperatively with another event that is scheduled for Sunday and rearrange schedules, but that group was unwilling to move, leaving us very few options.”

KHSAA Assistant Commissioner Michael Barren, who oversees the sport of Wrestling, added, “we have been able in very short order to rebook the large block of rooms we use at the official headquarters, and reschedule vendors and secure the arena on the first available three-day period for that facility. It was critical in working with the Commissioner that we make this decision as early as possible in the interest of the safety and welfare of our competitors, coaches, workers and officials. We will allow a one pound growth allowance for each of the weight classes in an additional effort to accommodate this postponement.”

Tackett stated that a great many options were reviewed before finalizing this move. “These championships are years in the making and scheduling, and it isn’t easy to simply move any of them. I know that Mike (Barren) and his tournament staff will work with the folks at Alltech Arena to get things moved in on March 9, and utilize the regular schedule for March 10 and 11, as we work to get this event completed and allow the students their well-earned opportunity to compete. I am sure from the micro-view of the many constituents, there will be second guessing and other alternatives suggested, but my job, and that of our office, is to weigh all of the factors and make the best decision we can for the entire state. The one pound growth allowance would have been a problem in the past, but with the emphasis on safe weight management, the wrestlers are required to be at or near their normal weight and should be able to maintain without issues. It will be difficult for our office to manage this event nearly simultaneously with the start of our girls’ basketball tournament, but we have successfully managed overlapping events before and will call on our legions of volunteers and workers to ensure that both events are first class for the students and all involved.”

– KHSAA –

To the bolded. No such discussions took place. Source - I am an officer and Event organizer of said event on Sunday, no such discussions took place.

To the bolded. No such discussions took place. Source - I am an officer and Event organizer of said event on Sunday, no such discussions took place.

Middle school state wrestling championships?

I'm glad the state tournament is postponed. Hopefully the wrestlers will be prepared a couple weeks from now.

Middle school state wrestling championships?

I'm glad the state tournament is postponed. Hopefully the wrestlers will be prepared a couple weeks from now.

Middle School state takes place the first Saturday in February, and has been held at Montgomery County for the last several years. Youth State (age 5-12) is always the Sunday following high school state. Middle School season starts and ends a little earlier than high school, and there are always a dozen or so middle schoolers that also compete for their high school team.

Wow. How can the KHSAA just throw that out there at ya plantman.

They already made a tough call (and probably the right call) on postponing the high school state tourney, no reason to try to put unnecessary blame on another group.

Agreed! There was no reason for the KHSAA to attempt to blame another party. Plus, with the expected weather this weekend, it will still be difficult for all competitors and schools to be there if they come in a school bus.

KSWA official announcement for immediate release:

The 2015 Youth State Tournament being held on Sunday February 22, 2015 at the horse park, Alltech Arena is still on as according to previous schedules. Upon conversations with the Horse Park, it is deemed best by both parties to have the event as originally scheduled. Should a team have participate changes due to weather, please contact Matt Lee directly ASAP to make those changes.

Regards

KSWA