Inside The 11th Region (2/8/15)

A hectic week of games is now in the books, and just like most weeks, we're left with just as many questions as answers. With the 11th Region drawing the neighboring 12th in the first round of the Sweet 16, anyone with an affiliation to either region who regularly reads or converses on BGP was probably ecstatic because it meant that a rivalry for fan's bragging rights that'd been going on for around two years will now be settled, at least for a summer.

Lots of the top teams in the 11th and 12th have already played one another. Some still have games remaining, which leaves you wondering if it's prudent to read too much into a late season matchup between, say, Wayne County and Lexington Catholic considering Coach Salsman or Woods might want to hold back in case they meet again.

We've had a lot of lively debate this week, some highlights of which you can check out via these links and are encouraged to chime in on the discussions. Topics include:

Fans' Ideal Match-Ups For the 11th/12th:

http://bluegrasspreps.com/ky-boys-basketball/11th-vs-12th-298284.html

KHSAA Sweet 16 Draw & Matchups:

http://bluegrasspreps.com/ky-boys-basketball/khsaa-sweet-16-a-298176.html

Rating the State:

See the following post & be sure to check BGP's rankings on Monday (posted with the "sticky" as one of the first few thread topics).

District Seeding:

See post #3 in this thread. I've spoken with a few people whose word I'll trust on it, and think that I can relay an understanding of how seeding in the 43rd will break down given any possible outcome next week (or so I think).

Now, on to the usual stuff:

Team of the Week - Scott County:

Call me more of an RPI/KenPom guy than most (and I don't care, because I've been called worse), but I'm more inclined to see rankings validity in prioritizing a close road or neutral site loss to a good team over a home drubbing of a fairly mediocre team. How else could I justify my Team of the Week being one who just went 1-2 over the past seven days? Easy. That team is a Scott County club who beat my reigning #1, Bryan Station.

The Cards had some momentum coming into the week after some quality home wins over Lafayette & Wayne County in the Toyota Classic. Still, the shot in the arm that came with the victory over the Defenders is hard to quantify as "just a game". For one, it ultimately kept the Cards from going 0-4 on the season vs. district foes Henry Clay & Station.

Down and reeling, the kids from G'town could have wallowed in the sorrow of losing DJ Jenkins, packed it up after some bad losses to teams that felt they owed them one, and just decided to listen to everyone who told them that this was a rebuilding year. Instead, they served notice to the rest of their district, and the region as a whole, that they are still Scott County, and that they aren't going to roll over for anyone.

Although Scott County lost two heartbreakers to Henry Clay (@HC) and Wayne County (@Lafayette) by one point each on back-to-back nights, it'd be unwise to forget that they are still coached by Billy Hicks, and that the team has some talent, whether it be my Player of the Week, Isaiah Johnson, fellow senior Hines Jones, utility-men like Clarion Washington and Jamel Banks, a still-developing and underrated Tay Guyn, or a few j'ust-scratching the surface" kids in So. center Cooper Watts or Fr. guard Cooper Rob.

You know what you are getting when you talk about Hines Jones. He's been steady and productive all season. What's starting to bring the team back to the rest of the pack is the play of the supporting cast, and plenty of kids are showing that they're capable of stepping up. In the Bryan Station win, Guyn had 10 points and 11 boards and Clarion Washington had 16 & 5. In the Henry Clay game, it was Cooper Robb with 10 & 9, and Washington with 12 & 3. In the Wayne County game, it was Jamel Banks with 11 & 7.

The Cards will face off with Henry Clay at Al Prewitt Gymnasium on the campus of HCHS in the first round of district play. Winner advances and likely meets Bryan Station. Loser goes home. Like any 42nd or 43rd district game, you can expect that one to be an all-out war, but it could also be one of the more intriguing storylines considering it is a rematch of last year's 42nd District & 11th Region final. The two played an instant classic that will still be fresh in everyone's mind come late February.

Player of the Week - Isaiah Johnson, Scott Co.:

While the supporting cast is there, and will still only get better, possibly the biggest reason for Scott County's surge has been the play of wing Isaiah Johnson. Early in the year, Johnson was inconsistent despite observers noticing that the talent was there. Part of that might have been adjusting to new surroundings, blending in with another transfer in DJ Jenkins who seemed to be Scott Co's #1 option at the time, maturing into the role of a senior leader, what have you.

But now, the narrative on Johnson is beginning to shift, and recent performances suggest that he's starting to assert ownership of the team. This past week, his stat lines included: 25 points and 15 rebounds vs. Wayne Co.; 16 pts. & 9 rebs. vs. Station; and 15 pts. & 12 rebs. vs. Henry Clay. Those come out to an average of around 19 & 12, which isn't bad at all considering both the competition and that the team's output in a typical game averages out somewhere in the mid-60's.

A wing who can rely both on a solid, muscular, 6'4 frame and above average athleticism, Johnson is a mismatch for most defenders, even in the 11th. Match him with a guard (or even plenty of wings) and he'll go to work in the post and bully them. His ability to finish through contact means he'll have the opportunity for some old fashioned three-point plays. Flash help at him and maybe the next time he steps out to the mid-range area and makes it harder for you to do so, or passes out of it. Match him with a big and you won't have to double the post, but he's also capable of taking them out on the floor and going around them.

With the dust settling in Georgetown, Johnson is likely going to be the man the Cards ride as far as he can take them.

Team Rankings:

1. Bryan Station:

Yes, the Defenders had a tough loss on the road at Scott County. See my column last week. I hinted at it being a prime selection for an upset alert. I also think that they'll rebound, and for now, are still the team that I'd pick to come out of the 11th if you put a gun to my head (though I wouldn't feel great about it).

They have tons of talent and athleticism and a favorable district seed. Factor in their body of work over the season, the maturation of Andre Davis, and now the addition of Ronnie Carson, and there's a lot to like about this team. I love the way Tequan Claitt attacks the glass. CJ Walker is as tough and athletic of a guard as you'll find. He has a quick first step, lightning-fast lateral movement, attacks the rim well, and can finish through contact. 6'5 DeAndre Dishman has had some big games, and could be capable of making teams who focus too heavily on Claitt pay. Josh Owsley and Tim Dunn are veteran guards who can each do the little things to help you win.

If Andre Davis, who is still young, continues to mature and develops better shot selection, and Ronnie Carson, who I'm told might not have been in "game shape" once he was declared eligible, can get his cardio where it needs to be, then this is a team that has the makings of one who can go on a serious run. Even a winded Carson had 12 points, 3 rebounds, 2 steals, and 2 assists before fouling out of the Scott County contest.

The wart that you see with Station is that they are the kind of team who will just have some bad games. That's nothing new for any team at any level who just doesn't shoot the ball particularly well and is so reliant on forcing the tempo and creating turnovers. You can't press if you can't score, and the reality of it is that Bryan Station is just going to have some nights where they struggle to shoot, which in turn limits everything else they want to do.

Fortunately for the Defenders, they've locked up the #1 seed in their district. If "that night" (read: the eventual bad shooting night) comes in the first game of the district, they probably still have enough talent to escape. District final isn't a must-win, and a bad shooting night there doesn't mean the end of the season. With the right draw, the first round of the region could be like their first district game, though a tougher challenge, and by that I mean winnable even on an off-night.

Given that there are more possibilities for Station to survive and advance on that off-night than say, a Lafayette or Dunbar, one of which will be playing in the 4/5 game to open district play, I'll leave them here for now and justify it by saying that. Beat Sayre and they are in the region. That's more than you can say for any team on this list not named Madison Central.

2. Lexington Catholic:

A great team, and the team that my head is still telling me is likely a better #1 pick than Bryan Station if I want to go the safe route, because hey, Lexington Catholic is consistent if nothing else.

This past week, the Knights got revenge for an earlier district loss by going into Dunbar and beating the scorching hot Bulldogs. Jarrod Griffin had 19, including conversions on 11 of 12 free throw attempts, while Michael Talbott led the way with 21 points and 5 boards.

Earlier in the week, the Knights dispatched Tates Creek in district play. The win was highlighted by Griffin's 15, JJ Ogbogu pulling down 7 boards, and Walker Boothe tallying 9 and 7.

What concerns me if I'm a Knights fan is that Tanner Johnson, who is a great player and I'm not trying to knock at all, just seems to be in one of those slumps. He's not been shooting the trey ball very well as of late, as he went: 1/5 vs. Dunbar, 2/9 vs. Tates Creek, 1/1 vs. Western Hills, 0/5 in the first Dunbar game, and 1/5 vs. Mason County for a total of 16% during that stretch.

Past that, what concerns me even more if I'm a Knights fan is the road that my team is going to face. As the ruler of the 43rd since realignment, Catholic is going to be the hunted. Make no mistake about the fact that they'll go into every game with a huge bullseye on their chest. Their kids know how to win, but surviving the gauntlet they'll be up against is going to be no easy task.

3. Dunbar:

Through the year I've shown tons of love to Darius Williams, and rightfully so. At the same time, I have to apologize to another young Bulldog whose mesmerizing performances have been at least somewhat under-appreciated. In this week's HUGE win over Doss, Taveion Hollingsworth finished with 33 points, including 4 points in the closing :12 seconds of regulation to send the game into overtime, both of which came off of steals. This is coming off his dropping 40 on Manual the week before. Not too shabby. I see you Taveion.

The duo of Williams and Hollingsworth might be the most electrifying in the 11th, and the scary part is that they have another year together, but it's a mistake to end any analysis of Dunbar at those two.

Dunbar has lots of experience and kids who are blue collar players that have bought into and accepted their roles, and now that they're at full strength, it's starting to pay huge dividends. For example, junior guard Jordan Lewis had 10 points, 6 boards, and 7 dimes in the Doss game. Not to be outdone, junior guard Vince Clark came off the bench and provided a nice spark with 9. Didn't get to see the entire webcast of the Doss game, but was definitely impressed with the toughness that Dontell Brown played with as well.

If I'm coaching and can pick any player in the 11th to create and take one last shot to win the game for me, then Isaiah Tisdale of Henry Clay, Matt Rose of LCA, or Darius Williams of Dunbar are going to be my top choices. That means a lot in tournament play.

Right now, I look at Dunbar as the "lightning in a bottle". They might not have a great record on the year, but believe me when I say that I don't think anyone is really dying to face them. At the same time, Dunbar's group hasn't historically had tons of success in terms of district crowns, advancing in regional play, etc., and it will be interesting to see how that plays out.

One of the best quotes I've heard on the whole "experience and tradition" factor came from a coach speaking on that thought who said, "sometimes young teams are some of the most dangerous if they've never been there before because they don't listen to what everyone says they're supposed to do". Whether or not Dunbar knows or cares what anyone thinks they are supposed to do though, the reality is that there'll be a few quality teams who get shots at them given their draw, so they'll have to be on their A-game each night.

4. Henry Clay:

The Blue Devils are 2-2 over their last four, but that's nothing to be ashamed of considering that the first of those was a single digit loss to Trinity and the next was an overtime loss to Lafayette two nights later. The Devils recovered nicely by grinding out a road win over Madison Central and then storming back late to defeat Scott County.

Isaiah Tisdale is clutch and the three that he dropped on Scott County for the win was just a cold-blooded, reptilian dagger.

I was fortunate enough to catch a good portion of the fourth quarter of the Devil's game against Scott Co, and saw signs of things that I like to see in a team. The Devils begin and end with Tisdale, but seeing defenses respect Campbell's ability to shoot from range, Colby Barnes' length and athleticism at the top of the 1-3-1 that they switched into late, or Felix Wilson's ball handling and scoring punch, those were all positive signs.

You have to score to win, and one of my biggest questions on Henry Clay was who steps up around Tisdale, and it appears that have developed some secondary scorers around him. In the Scott Co contest, Dakahari Campbell had 15 and 4, Felix Wilson 9 and 4, Jordan Houston 7 and 8, and Colby Barnes 7 and 11, so they have some kids who are capable of stepping up. I would think that Wilson's 9 and 4 was a bit of an "off" game for him in terms of what he can do when playing at his peak.

My greatest concerns with the Devils are their overall lack of size and questionable depth (especially in terms of scoring). They'll make up for a lot with quickness and solid execution, and schematically, I thought Coach Brown played his hand well from the parts of the game I'd gotten to see.

From what I've seen of the Devils: their kids play hard, know their roles, and play within themselves. However, that might not matter against a team that dwarfs them in terms of size. Running into a team with some size across the board, whether it be LCA, Lafayette, or Madison Central, likely doesn't bode well for Henry Clay though. Consider that in two of their most recent losses, bigs Ross Jenkins had 27 & 16 and Sam Jones totaled 24 & 9.

5. Lexington Christian Academy:

LCA had a bit of a lighter schedule than most of their 11th counterparts this week, most likely due to their recent participation in the All A. Their "back to reality" game in life that is the 11th, however, was one the one that really dropped them in my rankings.

Make no mistake, the Eagles are capable and there's a lot to like about them. I'll take Matt Rose and Drew Trimble on my team anyday. They have some huge lineups that they can throw at teams, and those aren't just "size for the sake of size" because they are as talented as tall.

My question for the Eagles would be how they counter teams with more athleticism, especially in a physical, bring your hardhat and lunchpail, winner-take-all game. I think that Rose and Trimble are fine in those games, but the supporting cast of Rode and King might be a little too young (read: not physically matured to the point of) being ready for those kinds of battles.

Yes, the Eagles have size, which is great, but I also don't know the extent to which that size is going to be effective against a physical, athletic team, particularly one that presses. Ball handling could be a problem given the pressure that a Station or Lafayette can throw on them. How do they matchup against the quickness of Henry Clay or the explosiveness of Dunbar?

In terms of on-ball pressure, sure, Rose could handle it, but do you want your leading scorer using his energy bringing the ball up? Do you pull Trimble out of the post, use him to alleviate pressure, and risk cutting into the energy he provides you battling on the interior? Do you leave Rode, who is talented, but still an 8th grader, on a bit of an island? There are still lots of questions to be answered in that regard, IMO. Yes, the Eagles could have answers for them, I don't doubt that at all. And again, I think Rose and Trimble do fine even in that scenario, they've proven that already. I just look at LCA's record, particularly there losses, and trying to find a common thread in their defeats at the hands of: Collins, Paris, Trinity, Manual, Doss, Lexington Catholic, Newport Central Catholic, and Lafayette. With the exception of NCC, all of those are teams who seem to want to get after you in pressure one way or another. It doesn't appear that the Eagles fare as well against those types of teams as they do against other solid teams that they've beaten, a list that includes: Campbell Co, Lincoln Co, West Jessamine, & Tates Creek.

6. Lafayette:

Up and down throughout most of the year, the Generals have won their last 4 straight, leaving Henry Clay, Franklin Co, Lexington Christian Academy, and Perry County Central (with Braxton Beverley) in their wake.

Ross Jenkins, whose work is mentioned throughout this article already, seems to be breaking out. Each time I look in the box scores, I'm starting to expect more from his performances than I did earlier in the season. I've went back and forth on my evaluation of Jenkins quite a bit over the course of the past two seasons, but I'm really starting to settle on him as one of the premier bigs in the 11th, mentioning him in the same breath as Jones and Fucci and not worrying about looking foolish for doing so.

The emergence of TJ Downey, who was last week's Player of the Week, as a spark off the bench has been instrumental in what's would up translating into the Generals' recent consistency as well.

Jajuante Carpenter, a kid who I saw last year and fell in love with his game and potential, wasn't the player I expected him to be early in the season. However, he's also coming on as of late, as he dropped 19 on Perry Central and 14 on Franklin Co.

Yes, yes, Lafayette still has BGP favorite Dontavion "Lucky" Jackson, and Harrison Lane is still one of the coldest snipers in the LFC area, so don't think I've forgotten about them.

I'm a fan of Michael Mendenhall and his system, and think that anyone overlooking Lafayette should think again. I like the General's depth as well, and think it's something that they might have an edge on some others in the 11th with, whether people realize it or not.

My biggest worry if I'm a fan of the Generals is two-fold: first, whether or not my team can maintain the consistency that they've shown in the past two weeks, and whether or not they are able to handle the overall grind that will be coming out of the 43rd given the seeding possibilities.

7. Scott County:

You can read more about my Team of the Week above. Just know I'm impressed by their recent results. The loss to Henry Clay when losing PG Hines Jones with 5:00 left to play in the 4th is understandable.

With a softer stretch in their schedule coming up, the Cards will have some time to regroup. I've said it plenty of times this year, but it's worth repeating: "Billy Hicks hasn't forgotten how to coach". There, now don't say I didn't warn ya'.

Yes, I'll be surprised if they win the region, but no, in a crazy year for the 11th, it's not like it'd give me a heart attack either. At the end of the day, I just think that there's too many teams who've been licking their chops for a shot at a down Scott County team, and that their youth will have trouble stringing together the kind of 5 game stretch they'd need to go through Henry Clay/Station (district final)/three rounds of region.

8. Madison Central:

Whatever you do, please do not take my ranking Madison Central #8 as a sign of disrespect, or that I don't believe in them. Simply put, they've had a stretch of tough, tough games, including the likes of Holmes, Trinity, Lincoln County, and Henry Clay. The Indians are here by default more than all else because a loss to Woodford County stings and that, along with narrow victories over Boyd County and Tates Creek, isn't enough to catapult them over teams based on their road win over a very good Southwestern team.

Coach Feldhaus is a great coach who'll have the troops ready come region, but we might get an early taste of what the Indians can do when they host Lexington Catholic on Tuesday. That could be a trap game if Lexington Catholic looks ahead to their Thursday matchup with LCA.

A possible trap game, on the road in Richmond you say? I'll be bold and call it my upset of the week prediction. If you know me, then you'll know that I just hate it when I'm right, and that I'm not the type to say "I told you so"... but if it happens, well... you heard it here first.

Upcoming Games:

Tuesday, Feb. 10:

Lafayette @ Bryan Station

Lexington Catholic @ Madison Central

Tates Creek @ Lexington Christian Academy

Woodford County @ West Jessamine

Frankfort @ Collins

Thursday, Feb. 12:

Lexington Christian Academy @ Lexington Catholic

Dunbar @ Henry Clay

Bryan Station @ Tates Creek

Louisville Trinity @ Lafayette

Friday, Feb. 13:

Woodford Co. @ Mercer Co.

Saturday, Feb. 14:

Clay County @ Lexington Catholic

Lexington Christian Academy @ George Rogers Clark

Woodford Co. @ Mason Co.

*Final thoughts: If you go to the LCA/George Rogers Clark game, please say hello and send my regards to the wonderful Mrs. Gold_Sunrise and family. If you go, do NOT cheer against her Cards too hard, otherwise, you and I cannot be friends.

Just to have some fun, I also made my own rankings for the State, broken down into tiers, and will attach it, with the 11th Region teams bolded & italicized below.

I do think it'd be a fun experiment to see how many 11th Region teams others see as top 20-25 worthy.

Feel free to sound off and disagree. It's all good, and reasonable minds can differ.

1. Ballard

2. Henderson County

3. Trinity

4. Knott County Central: (loss in away game on short notice is fine)

5. Taylor County

6. Covington Catholic

7. Owensboro

8. Manual

9. Central

10. Doss

11. Bryan Station

12. Lexington Catholic

13. Hopkinsville

14. Boyle County

15. Wayne County

16. Dunbar (now full strength... look at results from mid-Jan on)

17. Newport Central Catholic (not enough threats on O)

18. Mason County

19. Southwestern

20. Henry Clay

21. Lexington Christian Academy

22. Apollo (Trace Young now playing, very dangerous)

23. Holmes

24. Lafayette

25. Scott County

26. Waggener

27. St. Xavier

28. Lincoln County

29. Madison Central (have been w/out Sam Jones for a bit)

30. Clay County

31. West Jessamine

32. Bowling Green

33. Warren Central

34. Perry County Central (Beverley has been out)

35. Johnson Central (now healthy)

36. Oldham Co.

Edited by JokersWild24
Accidentally omitted Doss originally

43rd District Seeding:

1. Lexington Catholic (5-2):

Remaining Games: vs. LCA on 2/12;

#1 seed with win over LCA;

If LCA beats Catholic & Creek --> Lex Cath is #2.

If LCA loses to Creek & beats Catholic --> Lex Cath/LCA flip for #1/2.

2. Lexington Christian (4-2):

Remaining games: vs. Tates Creek on 2/10 & vs. Lexington Catholic on 2/12;

Lose both remaining games, then a flip for 2/3 with LAF based on LCA's 2 head-to-head wins over Dunbar;

Win one of the two, then guaranteed to be the #2 seed at lowest.

Beat both and win the #1 seed based on a 6-2 vs. Catholic's 5-3.

3/4. Lafayette (4-4):

LAF/PLD split H2H; Coin Flip for 3rd/4th at least

LAF won by 14, PLD by 4 if this is the tiebreaker

3/4. Dunbar (4-4):

LAF/PLD split H2H; Coin Flip for 3rd/4th at least

LAF won by 14, PLD by 4 if this is the tiebreaker

Dunbar was swept by LCA & cannot finish ahead of them

5. Tates Creek (1-6):

5 seed regardless of future outcomes

Remaining Game vs. LCA on 2/10

What all of the above means:

If LCA beats Lexington Catholic & Tates Creek, then they are the #1 seed, Catholic is #2 & flip for #3 & #4 between Lafayette & Dunbar.

If LCA beats Tates Creek & loses to Catholic, then they are the #2 and Dunbar/Lafayette flip for #3 & #4.

If LCA loses both, then they flip with Lafayette for the #2 and #3.

It is a two-way tie because LCA and Lafayette have identical head-to-head records*.

*Dunbar is NOT in the two-way tie mentioned above because they lost to LCA twice, thus Dunbar cannot be seeded above LCA

In the two way tie mentioned above, IF Lafayette loses that flip, then they are tied for the #3 with Dunbar.

This is a tie because Lafayette and Dunbar each split head-to-head.

Lafayette and Dunbar would then flip for the 3/4 seed under the district's two-way tiebreaker.

Why This Is So Controversial:

The Link to the District's Seeding Policy:

http://khsaa.org/httpdocs/basketball/districtregion/districtseedingplans/District%2043.pdf

The rule isn't written very clearly, at least to a layperson. There are a few different interpretations that you could make based on the wording. Regardless, there is a scenario that could hypothetically occur under this tiebreaking procedure that would lead to an arbitrary result.

Consider:

If the intent is to evaluate each two-team component, there is a potential for circular (and hence worthless) logic.

Imagine a scenario where all members of the 3-way tie set have records of 2-2, but further imagine each team won two games against one opponent and lost two to the other. Hence, we would have team A with two wins against B, team B with two wins against C, and team C with two wins against A.

In a series of two-team evaluations, A has the absolute right to be ranked above B, and B has the absolute right to be ranked above C. The problem is, C has the absolute right to be ranked above A.

Even with a 3-dimensional bracket this cannot be done.

Imagine the "two separate wins, two separate losses" (that I'll term the "all hell just broke loose" scenario). The two way tiebreaker rules, as written, would seemingly be the ones that apply. However, it isn't fair to exclude any one team from the initial flip, and doing so means that they would be prevented from having a seed higher than 3, even though they would have the same claim to the #2 seed that the two teams who flipped did.

There are also problems with the wording/ambiguity of the three team tiebreaker. "Head to head records" is not, at least to the best of my knowledge, very clearly defined. Does that mean the team's head to head record against each of the team's individually (as assumed in the scenario I've articulated above where LCA has a tiebreaker over Lafayette), and if so, and Lafayette isn't the #2, is it then a two way tie between them and Dunbar?

On the other hand, couldn't you say that the head to head records mean the head to head records against the teams that are tied with one another overall? This year, that likely wouldn't matter and Lafayette and LCA still win the tiebreakers over Dunbar, but, as you can see from the example above, there are chances that it ends up conflicting with what was likely intended.

While this is potentially waaaay too deep to look into it, does "head to head", which is all that is even written, indicative of head to head results or possibly head to head point differential, or something else?

Signs you love high school basketball too much: you apply logical reasoning and interpretations of black letter law to seeding a hypothetical district tournament.

Edited by JokersWild24
Fixed Outcomes

1. Bryan Station

2. Lexington Catholic

3. LCA

4. Dunbar

5. Lafayette

6. Henry Clay

7. Madison Central

8. Scott County

9. Woodford County

10. Tates Creek

11. Frankfort High

12. Model

13. Sayre

14. Franklin County

15. Madison Southern

16. Berea

17. Western Hills

3-10 could change at any minute in this region.

1. Bryan Station

2. Lexington Catholic

3. LCA

4. Dunbar

5. Lafayette

6. Henry Clay

7. Madison Central

8. Scott County

9. Woodford County

10. Tates Creek

11. Frankfort High

12. Model

13. Sayre

14. Franklin County

15. Madison Southern

16. Berea

17. Western Hills

3-10 could change at any minute in this region.

You aren't kidding.

Thanks to a user who sent me an update on the seeding. Above, I'd incorrectly listed one of LCA's outcomes, and it should be noted that if they win both of their games this week, then they are the outright #1 seed.

Still a lot of basketball left, and there'll be some eyes on both games this week from plenty around the district who want to see where their teams will wind up.

If Tates Creek beats LCA, then Lafayette and Dunbar's interest in the LCA/Lexington Catholic game really intensifies, and an LCA loss there means you've got three teams in the 2/3/4 slots with identical records however it's sliced.

If LCA beats Tates Creek, then Lafayette and Dunbar know that they are tied for the #3/#4 spots at worse, but still wouldn't know whether or not that meant playing Lexington Catholic/LCA or Tates Creek first.

Tons of unknowns, and things will start to clear up some on Tuesday night when the dust settles on Tates Creek/LCA, but regardless of what's happened by the end of the week, the whole district tourney won't take shape until the tie breaking procedures have been applied.