Skip to content
View in the app

A better way to browse. Learn more.

BluegrassPreps.com

A full-screen app on your home screen with push notifications, badges and more.

To install this app on iOS and iPadOS
  1. Tap the Share icon in Safari
  2. Scroll the menu and tap Add to Home Screen.
  3. Tap Add in the top-right corner.
To install this app on Android
  1. Tap the 3-dot menu (⋮) in the top-right corner of the browser.
  2. Tap Add to Home screen or Install app.
  3. Confirm by tapping Install.

Who Is Your Team's Biggest Rival?

Featured Replies

They're not my schools but Perry Central vs Hazard is a goody. Doesn't get much more intense than that one, especially in years when they're both fairly even in talent.

  • Replies 63
  • Views 5.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

  • Author
Mason County doesn't exactly have a riva[/b]l' date=' the past 2 years it was Fleming and Augusta. Before then it was by far Clark Co and Lexington Catholic. We don't really consider ourselves "rivals" with anyone now that Fleming Co doesn't have the best of teams.[/quote']

 

 

This.

 

You can't call someone "your biggest rival" when they're 70 miles away and in another region and you rarely play one another (Lexington Catholic; Scott County) - that would be like UK calling Duke their biggest rival. You can't call someone your biggest rival when they're 60 miles away and both teams had regional title contenders for a few years running a few years back (Clark County).

 

I'll still go with Fleming County, even though the series is one-sided.

For me and my two schools of allegiance:

 

Bowling Green:

 

1. Warren Central

2. Warren Central

3. Warren Central

4. South Warren

5. Warren Central

 

 

Boyle County:

 

1. Lincoln County

2. Danville

3. Mercer County

4. Wayne County

Mason County doesn't exactly have a rival, the past 2 years it was Fleming and Augusta. Before then it was by far Clark Co and Lexington Catholic. We don't really consider ourselves "rivals" with anyone now that Fleming Co doesn't have the best of teams.

 

This is kind of what I was getting at with my post, below. Cov Cath's basketball rival, at least over the last 20 years or so, has essentially just been whichever team has been their biggest barrier to winning the 9th region.

 

In the days that I was attending school in Park Hills, our biggest rival on the hardwood was the same as our biggest rival on the gridiron: Highlands Bluebirds. Holmes was in second place, and Simon Kenton was third.
Didn't Fleming County make the Sweet 16 the last two years?

 

To be fair, though, I'd say Fleming moving to the 16th Region did hurt the Mason/Fleming rivalry quite a bit.

 

 

Yes but each of those years Mason Co won the regular season game, but we all know the 16th Region has possibly been the weakest region the last few years.

  • Author
.....

 

How big / heated is the rivalry with Paintsville and Johnson Central? I'd have to imagine that one can get testy (and fun!).

 

And I was hoping to hear from other areas of the state - particularly Lexington. Hoptown and Christian County. That sort of thing.

Owensboro Senior/Owensboro Apollo

Of course Augusta's top rival is Bracken County. This is contested by many due to the incredibly lopsided record that is in Bracken County's favor. But currently Augusta has won 10 straight, their longest such stretch in the history of the rivalry. And when the two hook up the house is packed, every time. And as years have gone by the hatred is passed on to future generations to enjoy.

 

You are probably right in your assessment here, but personally speaking, I haven't considered Augusta a rival since...well, maybe ever? When I played, I had a bunch of good friends on Augusta's team & while we wanted to beat them, I never looked at them as a rival because of the relationships. And with good friends coaching there (both Robin & Jason for the boys), I still never considered them as such. In fact, they're my favorite team behind Bracken County.

 

Pendleton County was our big rivals in high school, even though we rarely beat them. But I thought that rivalry died down when Pendleton & Bracken were in the same district with Campbell & Brossart. Those 2, particularly Brossart, became the enemy.

 

Still, I'm sure it's Augusta for Bracken County. As you pointed out, though the all-time series belongs to the Polar Bears, the Panthers have been in control for the last several contests.

You are probably right in your assessment here, but personally speaking, I haven't considered Augusta a rival since...well, maybe ever? When I played, I had a bunch of good friends on Augusta's team & while we wanted to beat them, I never looked at them as a rival because of the relationships. And with good friends coaching there (both Robin & Jason for the boys), I still never considered them as such. In fact, they're my favorite team behind Bracken County.

 

Pendleton County was our big rivals in high school, even though we rarely beat them. But I thought that rivalry died down when Pendleton & Bracken were in the same district with Campbell & Brossart. Those 2, particularly Brossart, became the enemy.

 

Still, I'm sure it's Augusta for Bracken County. As you pointed out, though the all-time series belongs to the Polar Bears, the Panthers have been in control for the last several contests.

 

Becoming the enemy and being a rival are two different things.

Walter is my biggest rival!

be-back-header.jpg

 

61a2fb50c9089ee4db0119bdfb6d66e5.jpg

 

:thumb:

 

Walter is my biggest rival!

 

:lol2:

 

I would say the MoCo is GRC's biggest rival. Only 20 minutes apart, and same district. Always a packed house when these two meet. Both Students sections are awesome. Some of the best games I have attended.

 

A few years ago when Mason Co and GRC were both contenders for the trip to Rupp. It was a heated rivalry. Just go back and read some of the threads.....:eek:

And I was hoping to hear from other areas of the state - particularly Lexington. Hoptown and Christian County. That sort of thing.

 

I remember a few from Lexington

 

Henry Clay vs Lafayette

Bryan Station vs Tates Creek

Lex Cath vs Scott County

Lex Cath vs LCA

Madison Central vs GRC

Mason County doesn't exactly have a rival, the past 2 years it was Fleming and Augusta. Before then it was by far Clark Co and Lexington Catholic. We don't really consider ourselves "rivals" with anyone now that Fleming Co doesn't have the best of teams.

 

182960_10150138252897349_1336971_n.jpg

 

This photo though....:thumb:

Of course Augusta's top rival is Bracken County. This is contested by many due to the incredibly lopsided record that is in Bracken County's favor. But currently Augusta has won 10 straight, their longest such stretch in the history of the rivalry. And when the two hook up the house is packed, every time. And as years have gone by the hatred is passed on to future generations to enjoy.

 

Only when we play each other. I'll support Augusta every other time. :thumb:

Recently Browsing 0

  • No registered users viewing this page.

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.