Courier-Journal's All-State team

Jason Frakes

I don't understand why they wouldn't. Doesn't seem like it would be a big inconvenience so why not do it?

For many coaches the season ends with the last game. And that is early in the process for well over half the teams.

How do coaches know what the rest of the state's teams look like - they played against around 3% of the teams in the state. So coaches do not have a good view of what is out there.

Coaches interest is not in naming the best team - it is in getting their players named and working with other coaches to get get other nearby or intra-district kids named.

Using coaches as the SOLE input is just not good for these and many other reasons. Its the same story with same incomplete result each year.

I say incomplete because the omissions can be glaring. How and where players are in the state-wide honor is always difficult. But to leave out obvious top players simply because coaches did not participate is just not recognizing the 'coaches only' method is severely flawed.

(Again, congratulations to every player named!)

• Replies 43
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yes, there are about 220 high school football coaches in Kentucky, so to get about half of them to vote is actually a pretty good return.

To reply to someone else's comment, The C-J's All-State team may not be the "end all be all," but with 110 coaches involved, it's definitely the All-State team with the most input. Along with those coaches' ballots, I talk to sportswriters from around the state and consult several recruiting services.

No, it's not perfect. No All-State team is.

I don't understand why they wouldn't. Doesn't seem like it would be a big inconvenience so why not do it?

C-J (the state's largest newspaper) has conducted this poll since 1917 or so. Input from coaches and media has always been weighed. It is not about every student-athlete being recognized. It is about recognizing the best based on the voters' opinions.

The class system didn't start until 1959. I see no need to change the process.

For many coaches the season ends with the last game. And that is early in the process for well over half the teams.

How do coaches know what the rest of the state's teams look like - they played against around 3% of the teams in the state. So coaches do not have a good view of what is out there.

Coaches interest is not in naming the best team - it is in getting their players named and working with other coaches to get get other nearby or intra-district kids named.

Using coaches as the SOLE input is just not good for these and many other reasons. Its the same story with same incomplete result each year.

I say incomplete because the omissions can be glaring. How and where players are in the state-wide honor is always difficult. But to leave out obvious top players simply because coaches did not participate is just not recognizing the 'coaches only' method is severely flawed.

(Again, congratulations to every player named!)

No process is perfect, that's not my point. I'm not saying it should just be coaches, I simply don't understand why a coach wouldn't send in a vote. I just think if all coaches participated it would be a lot better and I don't see any reason not to turn in a ballot.

Yes, there are about 220 high school football coaches in Kentucky, so to get about half of them to vote is actually a pretty good return.

To reply to someone else's comment, The C-J's All-State team may not be the "end all be all," but with 110 coaches involved, it's definitely the All-State team with the most input. Along with those coaches' ballots, I talk to sportswriters from around the state and consult several recruiting services.

How do you have a kicker as honorable mention who made 3 fg's and 11 xps, one who made 1 fg and 56 xps and yet another that made 2 fgs and 33 xps? Pack is honorable mention with these three and a kid that kicked 3 fgs and more extra points than anyone named did not even garner honorable mention. I agree with others in that there are many selections that are head scratchers to say the least.

Sounds like not just coaches voting is input. That is good.

Thanks for your comments here, Jason Frakes. Helps to get info from the horse's mouth. Yes, the system isn't perfect, but I agree it's the best all-state team available.

To me, it's similar to the Lit-Ratings in that regard: not perfect, but the best possible scenario.

I worked with coaches who submitted all-state teams and some who didn't. Each had his own reason for doing so...or not.

Highlands has Hoge and Venneman. No lineman? No defensive players? No kicker who puts almost all his kicks in the end zone? I guess Highlands talent pool was dry after all. But at least there's another title trophy and a new year to paint on the scoreboard.

Highlands has Hoge and Venneman. No lineman? No defensive players? No kicker who puts almost all his kicks in the end zone? I guess Highlands talent pool was dry after all. But at least there's another title trophy and a new year to paint on the scoreboard.

Is there a two player limit from a team?