Middle school and scheduling teams

BigVMan23

I just got a disconcerting email from a school canceling basketball games we had just scheduled with them. The reason given is the athletic director stated since they are now governed by the KHSAA, they were not allowed to play us. here is a snippet of an email I just sent to a member of the middle school athletics advisory committee.

I coach a non-KHSAA boys basketball middle school team, all the kids who play on the team come from the same county middle school. I run this program out of my local church and is part of an outreach/mission we do. These kids were cut from the local middle school program and if they want to continue to have the opportunity to play, we are about the only other option. With all that said, I guess in essence we would by definition be considered a sort of independent/club team. This program has existed for several years now, and we have scheduled both public and private schools in the past who now fall under the purview of the KHSAA.

With all the above information, the question is…can middle schools who are now regulated by the KHSAA continue to schedule us, or are they now prohibited from doing so?

So, does anyone know the answer for certain? If these small middle schools that we have been able to schedule for years can no longer work with us, I gotta say that really is a crock of crap and a big resounding BOOOOO to the KHSAA for making the middle schools follow such a rule.

• 3 weeks later...
I just got a disconcerting email from a school canceling basketball games we had just scheduled with them. The reason given is the athletic director stated since they are now governed by the KHSAA, they were not allowed to play us. here is a snippet of an email I just sent to a member of the middle school athletics advisory committee.

I coach a non-KHSAA boys basketball middle school team, all the kids who play on the team come from the same county middle school. I run this program out of my local church and is part of an outreach/mission we do. These kids were cut from the local middle school program and if they want to continue to have the opportunity to play, we are about the only other option. With all that said, I guess in essence we would by definition be considered a sort of independent/club team. This program has existed for several years now, and we have scheduled both public and private schools in the past who now fall under the purview of the KHSAA.

With all the above information, the question is…can middle schools who are now regulated by the KHSAA continue to schedule us, or are they now prohibited from doing so?

So, does anyone know the answer for certain? If these small middle schools that we have been able to schedule for years can no longer work with us, I gotta say that really is a crock of crap and a big resounding BOOOOO to the KHSAA for making the middle schools follow such a rule.

NOT certain the KHSAA bylaws which keep KHSAA teams from playing non-KHSAA teams (say Wesley Christian trying to play Hazard or North Hardin Christian trying to play Elizabethtown) cover the middle school level. Yet.

Maybe it does. Don't know.

That being said, with the KHSAA overtaking middle schools, it's only a matter of time for it to be a factor.

I liked playing basketball in HS. Wasn't good enough to make the varsity team (at a school with a then-enrollment of 2,000). Played church ball (with many other kids from my same HS, although we attended separate churches).

Doesn't mean we could, or should, have been allowed to play the same HS varsity or any HS team in our area, though.

NOT certain the KHSAA bylaws which keep KHSAA teams from playing non-KHSAA teams (say Wesley Christian trying to play Hazard or North Hardin Christian trying to play Elizabethtown) cover the middle school level. Yet.

Maybe it does. Don't know.

I think this is a big issue here...no body really knows/is sure. I'm hearing completely different things from different people/schools.

High school? Ok, I kind of get it I guess. Don't necessarily agree with it, but ok. But middle school? There are lots of small, little middle schools who would greatly benefit from being able to play teams like ours. And really, what's middle school athletics supposed to be about? Getting kids playing time and developing for the next level...I think anyway.

I understand the concern generated because some "rouge" middle school football teams were playing way too many games, possibly to the detriment of the players, which I believe is what started this whole thing. Then step in and regulate football and leave everything else out of it. Problem solved.

From what I understand, there is only a Middle School Advisory Board at the moment and KHSAA is yet to take the middle school under their umbrella. I may be wrong, but I would think that schools would be ok to schedule/play you guys for at least this season and until the government of middle school if fully under the KHSAA umbrella.

• 3 weeks later...

Go to Mid-America Sports Center in Louisville any Saturday or Sunday and you will see middle school teams and travel teams playing each other.

They don't care who you are. The school teams are not suppose to wear their school uniforms, but they do. It's really an insurance issue.