Refs need to stop trying to be Important.

Geek61

The fans do not pay to watch the refs. They pay to watch the players. Too many times the refs feel like they are the "show" when they go running at a player to give them a card or do something else to draw attention to themselves. Anyone who has been around soccer or sports in general know exactly what I mean.

I get what you're saying and I have been to those games but noticing the ref doesn't mean they are doing poorly. Sometimes tough calls and hard stances have to be taken.

They need to be noticed in those situations to get a message across.

• Replies 49
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I get what you're saying and I have been to those games but noticing the ref doesn't mean they are doing poorly. Sometimes tough calls and hard stances have to be taken.

They need to be noticed in those situations to get a message across.

I agree.......those aren't the situations I have issues with......the Zidane situation was a very good example....

The center ref controls the game and all laws are open to THEIR interpretation. Officiating can be good or bad but in essence it is the officials game.

Their interpretation unless a higher authority has laid down an interpretation.

Problem is many refs think they can do whatever they want and don't listen to when the are doing it wrong.

Their interpretation unless a higher authority has laid down an interpretation.

Problem is many refs think they can do whatever they want and don't listen to when the are doing it wrong.

I learned a lot when I became a licensed ref, even after coaching and playing for oved thirty years. They are always looking for good officials, perhaps you would be willing to step forward and help? Perhaps the referee evaluators (yes, you must be evaluated to be a ref, and you must be a ref to be an evaluator) need to be more stringent and get rid of thesecbad refs, but then who would call your game?

My issues with the calling of the games is how inconsistent they are in the same game when calling fouls. One team won't play the ball and lay a girl out with no call and then on a 50/50 ball the girls will hit each other and they will call a foul. I'm not a soccer expert and maybe that is the difference in the rules but they will call the same situation diffrent in the same game over and over.:idunno:

I learned a lot when I became a licensed ref, even after coaching and playing for oved thirty years. They are always looking for good officials, perhaps you would be willing to step forward and help? Perhaps the referee evaluators (yes, you must be evaluated to be a ref, and you must be a ref to be an evaluator) need to be more stringent and get rid of thesecbad refs, but then who would call your game?

I do ref the youth but my work schedule does not allow me to ref high school. We run into the same problems there as well and that is where I was drawing my experience from my statement. We here a solid statement in our class and then the next week I work with a guy that does it flat wrong and tells me he doesn't care because he doesn't agee with what they were taught.

My issues with the calling of the games is how inconsistent they are in the same game when calling fouls. One team won't play the ball and lay a girl out with no call and then on a 50/50 ball the girls will hit each other and they will call a foul. I'm not a soccer expert and maybe that is the difference in the rules but they will call the same situation diffrent in the same game over and over.:idunno:

Sometimes games can't be consistently called. Playes change how they want the game called as it progresses. Things that often look the same fr the stands are often very different when liking at them in the field. Comsistancy is the ideal everyone thinks they want but don't like when they see it.

My beef is with referees who are obviously not in the physical condition necessary to keep up with play. Some I have seen are winded after the first few minutes and stand no chance of being in position to see what they need to see, from a correct vantage point. It would seem there should be a base level of fitness required to ref at certain age levels including high school.

My beef is with referees who are obviously not in the physical condition necessary to keep up with play. Some I have seen are winded after the first few minutes and stand no chance of being in position to see what they need to see, from a correct vantage point. It would seem there should be a base level of fitness required to ref at certain age levels including high school.

Wishful thinking. Do you know how many refs the state would have if that was the case? I think it's illegal or something to require that as well. Something about independent contractors