Refs need to stop trying to be Important.

Geek61

So let's get to the root of the original post . . "Refs need to stop trying to be Important" - -

I agree that there are some Refs, in all sports at all levels, who feel they're the reason for the event. However, reality is there are not enough people who are willing to put themselves on the line to be judged by a group of individuals who do not understand the rules of the game (i.e., watching 100's of games does not make one an expert). This is why the bad Ref's don't get weeded out and the good Ref's don't stay around long enough to become great.

So let's look at an even playing field with participants, parents and officials. . . the common phrase often heard within the parent section when a player isn't successful with a move, trap, pass, etc. is "UNLUCKY". . . I'm still counting the days when a Ref misses a call when the parent section passes the same praise to the Ref.

Let's quit with the double standards about how each game is called poorly and also acknowledge that each game is played at a different skill level and style which causes a lot of the inconsistencies that are often discussed on this board. Please let's pass on the "UNLUCKY" statement to Refs as much as possible because I don't want my grandkids having their games cancelled because there are not enough officials to manage the games.

Our continual questioning of Ref's at games and on these boards has diluted the value of sportsmanship and it's started to bleed onto the playing field. Kids receiving Red cards for their disrespect of Ref's is mind blowing, as the level of respect for authoritative figures has diminished. Let's get back to the day of enjoying a good old game and let the kids determine the outcomes.

Great response and a lot to think about here. As I said in my previous post, I'm working on it. For many of the reasons you stated.

• Replies 49
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Keep in mind that stated by someone on this thread the HS refs are down a considerable number of refs. I don't know the number they have but I found out those in NKY have to cover the area from as far away as Mason County and down to Carrol County. (I'm from across the river and don't know the area well but can read a map). Although someone stated they are well paid, keep in mind they are typically doing 2 games each day they work which in normally circumstances would be 3 times a week but I 've seen a couple of games in consecutive days (girls and boys) where the same ref is doing both games as CR and AR.

I recall seeing some numbers a few years ago that at a high level youth game (U14-16) the CR will on average cover 5-6 and the AR 3-4 miles. I'm not implying every HS ref travels that distance but it gives folks some perspective of how much is involved. Now assuming a HS ref is doing 3 sets of matches (1 CR and 1 AR) per week that comes out to about 24-30 miles per week. Even if you cut that in half you are talking 12-15 miles a week mostly on turf which is harder on bodies than nice (not what's around here from what I've seen) grass fields.

I don't know how many games they are actually averaging a week but I guessing it's slightly higher than the 3 sets of matches per week. I think you are looking at some of these refs back in the 24-30 miles a week range.

My point is when it comes to one of these refs doing their third game on a Saturday at the end of the week how much can you truly expect them to be "in the right position" either as a CR or as AR 100% of the time?

I don't do HS at all but do high level games and from all the above I can see where it can affect these HS refs in terms of positioning, physical and mental fatigue which all affect their performance.

Not to say observations made here about positioning or inconsistent call or anything else about performance of refs seen at these HS games are wrong but keep some of this in mind when you are watching the next 80 mins HS game.

As someone stated I'm sure they are always looking for refs.

The lack of numbers and "quality" of refs is a whole separate discussion I won't go into but will leave you with this thought which is to think to the last time you watched a U10 Rec game and how the 13 or 14 year old refs were treated. Where do you think HS or any seasoned refs get their start?

:ylsuper:

Keep in mind that stated by someone on this thread the HS refs are down a considerable number of refs. I don't know the number they have but I found out those in NKY have to cover the area from as far away as Mason County and down to Carrol County. (I'm from across the river and don't know the area well but can read a map). Although someone stated they are well paid, keep in mind they are typically doing 2 games each day they work which in normally circumstances would be 3 times a week but I 've seen a couple of games in consecutive days (girls and boys) where the same ref is doing both games as CR and AR.

I recall seeing some numbers a few years ago that at a high level youth game (U14-16) the CR will on average cover 5-6 and the AR 3-4 miles. I'm not implying every HS ref travels that distance but it gives folks some perspective of how much is involved. Now assuming a HS ref is doing 3 sets of matches (1 CR and 1 AR) per week that comes out to about 24-30 miles per week. Even if you cut that in half you are talking 12-15 miles a week mostly on turf which is harder on bodies than nice (not what's around here from what I've seen) grass fields.

I don't know how many games they are actually averaging a week but I guessing it's slightly higher than the 3 sets of matches per week. I think you are looking at some of these refs back in the 24-30 miles a week range.

My point is when it comes to one of these refs doing their third game on a Saturday at the end of the week how much can you truly expect them to be "in the right position" either as a CR or as AR 100% of the time?

I don't do HS at all but do high level games and from all the above I can see where it can affect these HS refs in terms of positioning, physical and mental fatigue which all affect their performance.

Not to say observations made here about positioning or inconsistent call or anything else about performance of refs seen at these HS games are wrong but keep some of this in mind when you are watching the next 80 mins HS game.

As someone stated I'm sure they are always looking for refs.

The lack of numbers and "quality" of refs is a whole separate discussion I won't go into but will leave you with this thought which is to think to the last time you watched a U10 Rec game and how the 13 or 14 year old refs were treated. Where do you think HS or any seasoned refs get their start?