Highlands Celebrates 100 yrs Of Football Excellence

Sweeperboy

Please notice there is nobody else around Bill in the picture, friend or foe, even though this was taken during a game. You may ask, why?. That's simple, they were afraid, friend or foe, he might rip out someone's heart and eat it. :sssh:

Back then I only went to the home games.

The black and white photo doesn't really do any justice. Bills helmet only had the one chin strap buckle like most helmets back then and every time he hit somebody his helmet would come down and smack him in the bridge of his nose. About the second quarter his nose would start bleeding from that area and start trickling down his face. Made him look mean for sure. I think his nose was broken his whole high school career.

Lots of great high school players that get don't get the recognition they deserve.I could start listing families but the list is too long to remember them all. Highlands has many family members that keep/ kept the tradition alive, kudos to them also. :thumb:

• Replies 76
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I remember as a little kid going and watching Bill Roller and Dave Guidguli play for Stroh's Semi Pro Football team. My buddy and I would stand on the sidelines with the team and lets just say it was insane. Those two guys would go to bars after the game and clear them out. Bill was an absolute animal! That is one dude you didn't want to tick off!!!