George Washington (WV) 27 Ashland 26

Dominate maybe not but the record of championships in the district and the long history of smash mouth football says different tho my friend.

Leon Hart's teams were hardly smash mouth. My point is, last years Ashland team and this years Ashland team is not as talented top to bottom as Hart's last 3 or 4 teams. Blaming Tony Love because a kid from GW made a great play or, if you prefer, kids from Ashland missed tackles is lunacy.

• Replies 35
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Regardless of what happened, Ashland will have to have a special teams practice at some point in the week, working on the kicking game as well as running the current lanes on kickoff. "Special" teams can factor in to games even if there are not any points scored from them. Special teams can be a big momentum shifter in big games. They are a big part of a football game.

I have sat and listened and thought a lot, when you mow for 3 hours you think a lot. I will preface what I say with the fact that I am not a football coach, however I have coached other sports and at the high school level. I have watched the last 14 Ashland games. One game is not enough to hang a coach. However it should be noted that Ashland was 2 td's better than GW. There are problems that are not being addressed. Eminem said "here's my ten cents my two cents are free"

Ashland has some big play guys. The more plays they make the better the team plays, of course. Do you realize that improvement in the supporting cast makes the team better as well. It appears that everybody from the coaches down expect a couple guys to make every play. This isnt JFL, doesnt work that way. Coach up the supporting cast.

Define the pecking order on sideline. Too much confusion. Take charge. Have some balls, to say this is what we are going to do and it will work. Why would I want to follow a guy into battle that is going to second guess his decision before he even makes it? The kids are looking for that guy. Once you figure out the details, learn how to sell it.

Extra points, is there a rule that says the snap has to be a certain distance? I have watched Gullett and he is pretty accurate why not lengthen the snap about 5 ft?

Why beat up Prince about throwing the football? There are throws that he makes well. Figure out what those are and eliminate the routes he cant throw or take a look at his feet, it seems that he can throw vertical routes ok but he cant throw the outs well at all. Maybe he isnt getting his feet where they work best for him. He is not Elway, dont expect it. Another thing, he cant make throws that are either quick or require some velocity , he doesnt have that no accuracy on these throws. He is limited but not terrible, stop putting him in a position to fail Quit trying to post up Spud Webb.

Just a few things in my head, you would have to pay for the rest. One game does not make a season, use this game to get better for a district championship road game in a couple of months.

One last thought, if you have a player that speaks English as a second language, make sure he understands what you want done. If he doesnt understand, its not his fault, it is the on the one delivering the message.

Extra points, is there a rule that says the snap has to be a certain distance? I have watched Gullett and he is pretty accurate why not lengthen the snap about 5 ft?

I can't fix any problems at Ashland, but I can answer this question. There is no requirement on the snap distance. I know this because when Raceland's Aaron Pettrey broke the state record for the longest Field Goal, he lengthened the snap two yards to break the previous record.

I have sat and listened and thought a lot, when you mow for 3 hours you think a lot. I will preface what I say with the fact that I am not a football coach, however I have coached other sports and at the high school level. I have watched the last 14 Ashland games. One game is not enough to hang a coach. However it should be noted that Ashland was 2 td's better than GW. There are problems that are not being addressed. Eminem said "here's my ten cents my two cents are free"

Ashland has some big play guys. The more plays they make the better the team plays, of course. Do you realize that improvement in the supporting cast makes the team better as well. It appears that everybody from the coaches down expect a couple guys to make every play. This isnt JFL, doesnt work that way. Coach up the supporting cast.

Define the pecking order on sideline. Too much confusion. Take charge. Have some balls, to say this is what we are going to do and it will work. Why would I want to follow a guy into battle that is going to second guess his decision before he even makes it? The kids are looking for that guy. Once you figure out the details, learn how to sell it.

Why beat up Prince about throwing the football? There are throws that he makes well. Figure out what those are and eliminate the routes he cant throw or take a look at his feet, it seems that he can throw vertical routes ok but he cant throw the outs well at all. Maybe he isnt getting his feet where they work best for him. He is not Elway, dont expect it. Another thing, he cant make throws that are either quick or require some velocity , he doesnt have that no accuracy on these throws. He is limited but not terrible, stop putting him in a position to fail Quit trying to post up Spud Webb.

Just a few things in my head, you would have to pay for the rest. One game does not make a season, use this game to get better for a district championship road game in a couple of months.

One last thought, if you have a player that speaks English as a second language, make sure he understands what you want done. If he doesnt understand, its not his fault, it is the on the one delivering the message.

I highly agree with this statement. I also agree that Love is not in the hot seat but instead the cats are slowly finding an image. But they need to hit the practice field hard this week to get ready for a amped Russell looking to redeem themselves.