Covington Catholic 5 St Henry 1

Pretty even the first 10 minutes or so as St. Henry came out with a lot of energy in front of a big home crowd. After that, the CCH midfield really took over the game and their possession started to wear St. Henry down. They pretty much sliced and diced the St. Henry defense and were up 4-0 at halftime......game was over basically. They picked right up and put another goal in about 5 minutes into the second half and it was a rout. A lot of substitutions for CCH and St. Henry got a goal on a free kick with about 15 minutes left. The Colonel defense contained the secret weapons for the most part although they did have a nice header off the crossbar and a couple other chances. CCH could have had 10 had they not taken their foot off the gas early in the second half. Strikers did a good job finishing chances up top. Good start to the season. The Colonel midfield was dominant.

How did it get out of hand?

The Colonels absorbed the early attacks by St. Henry, who definitely came out wanting to prove a point. After that it was just wave after wave of attacks by CCH and St. Henry looked overwhelmed to me. The St. Henry student section cheers of "overrated" pushed some of the wrong buttons on the CCH players. I believe 5 different kids on the scoreboard for the Colonels (Day, Ballow, Stegman, Thieman & Pohlabeln). Quality goals for the most part. Nice showing by the Colonel Crazies supporting their team.

CCH stayed with 4-4-2 but did push Parker Kenney forward from defense. Kenney, Day, Schuh and Lilly will match up well with any midfield combo in the state. I think the defense will be tested a little more Thursday night.

Clyde....to your question......

When CCH jumped ahead,l it became open season. The ref could have stopped it with one yellow card, but he employed the stop the flow of the game, call the two players over to him ( the player committing the cheap shot/foul from behind/bulldog head lock tackle, etc and the player who was victim) and did the two hands in a downward motion to stop it.........

I absolutely see the need and the advantage of having this as a tool in the refs tool box, but it was used to extreme.

There was one particular play......CCH had a free kick near the goal. Cru put up a wall and CCH player was able to get into it in a very good position. Cru player pushed and shoved him trying to. Get him out, and the ref stopped everything....called BOTH players out to him.......and gave that little warning ....end result , wall moves over and players take the CCH player's spot.

Really did see some head hunting and it all could have been avoided with one early card vs 6 maybe 7 of huge hand warnings....

Btw, only one yellow was awarded.....CCH called for a foul in second half, ball pops up to his hands....he catches it and puts it down not he ground instead of rolling it to the Cru player..........at least that is what it looked like from expert view from the crowd........

The St. Henry student section cheers of "overrated" pushed some of the wrong buttons on the CCH players.

The cheering was going both ways last night. The good, the bad and the ugly----it was all there coming from both sides.

Really fun to see the back and forth banter. These kids all pretty much know each other. They hang out together all summer and weekends. Many went to grade school together.

I think it's fantastic to see all the fans at a soccer game! Hope to see lots more of that.

Clyde....to your question......

When CCH jumped ahead,l it became open season. The ref could have stopped it with one yellow card, but he employed the stop the flow of the game, call the two players over to him ( the player committing the cheap shot/foul from behind/bulldog head lock tackle, etc and the player who was victim) and did the two hands in a downward motion to stop it.........

I absolutely see the need and the advantage of having this as a tool in the refs tool box, but it was used to extreme.

There was one particular play......CCH had a free kick near the goal. Cru put up a wall and CCH player was able to get into it in a very good position. Cru player pushed and shoved him trying to. Get him out, and the ref stopped everything....called BOTH players out to him.......and gave that little warning ....end result , wall moves over and players take the CCH player's spot.

Really did see some head hunting and it all could have been avoided with one early card vs 6 maybe 7 of huge hand warnings....

Btw, only one yellow was awarded.....CCH called for a foul in second half, ball pops up to his hands....he catches it and puts it down not he ground instead of rolling it to the Cru player..........at least that is what it looked like from expert view from the crowd........

Not sure that I agree with the views expressed above about "head hunting" and "open season" as it appeared that Cov Cath got at least their fair share of calls during the night. There were a number of times when the ref missed the first foul by a player and called the secondary foul. I agree that the ref should have used a yellow a little earlier for a hard foul or two, but I don't think that Cov Cath would have been unscathed by this either. The game was definitely teetering on getting out of control.

The yellow card given was deserved as the player had the ball in his hands dropped it and then picked it back up again while moving away from the spot of the infraction intentionally delaying the play of the ball. Some of what you didn't see or hear is players being challenged to a fight during the game which may have come from a Cov Cath player...I know that it is hard to imagine your little angels doing this, but it did happen and was the cause of one of the little talks with the ref. You have to remember that what you see and hear in the stands is different from what actually occurs on the field.

The correct team won last night as Cov Cath was clearly the better team. I have to say that I think that they were helped by coaching decisions made the St. Henry coaching staff. They managed to turn areas that should be a strength into weakness through talent evaluation errors and playing people out of position. Seems to happen every year.

Congrats to Cov Cath on starting the season with a strong win and good luck going forward.