1st Region pairings plus this year results

Monday:

6:00 Paducah Tilghman vs. St. Mary: St. Mary won 52-49 and 65-64

7:45 Hickman Co. vs Calloway Co. : Calloway won 69-41

Tuesday:

6:00 Marshall Co. vs Carlisle Co: Marshall won 74-47

7:45 Graves Co. vs. Lone Oak: Graves won 58-49 and 65-49

Interesting notes:

-this is the 5th year in a row that Marshall and Carlisle will play in the 1st round and the 6th year in a row they will play each other.

-Paducah Tilghman beat St. Mary last year in a first round upset.

-Lone Oak eliminated Graves last year in the first round.

I didn't really consider Tilghman over St. Mary an upset in last year's tournament. A lot of people were on the St. Mary bandwagon after they beat a so-so Graves County team, with no Randon Cavette, in the district finals.

Another note on Graves ... the Eagles haven't won a regional tournament game since 2002, an unprecedented drought for that program.

I'd say there are four or five teams that could win it ... Marshall, Graves, Tilghman, Calloway and maybe St. Mary.

Another note on Graves ... the Eagles haven't won a regional tournament game since 2002, an unprecedented drought for that program.

I'd say there are four or five teams that could win it ... Marshall, Graves, Tilghman, Calloway and maybe St. Mary.

Marshall hasn't won it since 1996, I think I am right on that year.

Your right about the 5 teams above, any of them could win it and I would put them in that order as well.

Who will win boys and girls region 1?
Region one is wide open this year. Even though there have been some surprise winners in the past, there are usually 1-2 favorites, however, there are about 4-5 real contenders this year. If I had to bet, I would say Marshall.

Marshall hasn't won it since 1996, I think I am right on that year.
Actually, it was 1995, when the Marshals beat Simon Kenton and St. Xavier and made it to the final four.

I was referring to Graves not having won a game in the regional tournament since 2002. The last time the Eagles won the regional title was in 2000.

All I know is that if the favorites advance, Friday night's semifinals has the potential to be one of the most exciting 1st region tournament games in years. The RSEC will definitely be filled to the brim with tons of fans and excitement. Gotta love this time of year!