Skip to content
View in the app

A better way to browse. Learn more.

BluegrassPreps.com

A full-screen app on your home screen with push notifications, badges and more.

To install this app on iOS and iPadOS
  1. Tap the Share icon in Safari
  2. Scroll the menu and tap Add to Home Screen.
  3. Tap Add in the top-right corner.
To install this app on Android
  1. Tap the 3-dot menu (⋮) in the top-right corner of the browser.
  2. Tap Add to Home screen or Install app.
  3. Confirm by tapping Install.

ESPN suspends Stephen A. Smith

Featured Replies

Matthew 38 “You have heard that it was said, ‘An eye for an eye and a tooth for a tooth.’ 39 But I say to you, offer no resistance to one who is evil. When someone strikes you on (your) right cheek, turn the other one to him as well."

 

........but I guess I shouldn't have quoted from the Bible since everything is relative in today's world.:meh:

  • Replies 133
  • Views 10.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1. I don't like Stephen A.

 

2. He didn't excuse Ray Rice for his actions, and thinks the punishment should have been worse.

 

3. I think he was trying to say something and it came out differently then what he had in his head. I think he is guilty of using poor wording in his response, but I don't think he should have been suspended.

 

Agree with everything - except I do like Stephen A. Often provides perspective that I sorely lack.

Agree with everything - except I do like Stephen A. Often provides perspective that I sorely lack.

 

I really like Stephen A. as well.

Matthew 38 “You have heard that it was said, ‘An eye for an eye and a tooth for a tooth.’ 39 But I say to you, offer no resistance to one who is evil. When someone strikes you on (your) right cheek, turn the other one to him as well."

 

........but I guess I shouldn't have quoted from the Bible since everything is relative in today's world.:meh:

 

 

My dad always said that everything is relative. Especially incest.

I my mind it's not about getting beaten by a women. You and your woman are arguing, tempers are up, you've both been drinking, then all of a sudden she smacks the crap out of you. It could be nothing more then a reflex or reaction.

I can't buy that. They were in an elevator, he couldn't "walk away" like some have insisted he do. But it's not like he's PeeWee Herman. He's in the top 1% of athletes in the world. He made a poor decision, IMO. And his wife wasn't exactly Ronda Rowsey.

Serious question.

 

How many men on here have ever been beaten by a woman? I'm not talking 12 years old on the bus. I'm talking over 18 years old, woman beating your tail and you are defenseless. Anyone ever been in that situation?

I was punched once. I can't hit a woman so I laughed to get her even angrier. That was about all I could do. My question is, "what if she outweighs a guy? What if he is a buck 40 and she is 160 or over? Then who is abusing who when she starts it?"

I was punched once. I can't hit a woman so I laughed to get her even angrier. That was about all I could do. My question is, "what if she outweighs a guy? What if he is a buck 40 and she is 160 or over? Then who is abusing who when she starts it?"

 

Then stay out of elevators with her.

Inexcusable, I don't care what his wife was doing. He's a 6', 200 lb professional football player. There are numerous ways he could've subdued her without knocking her out cold.

 

Can't believe I'm using him as an example, but we didn't see Jay-Z throwing bows on Beyonce's sister in the elevator when she was attacking him. Why couldn't Rice have done the same?

3. I think he was trying to say something and it came out differently then what he had in his head. I think he is guilty of using poor wording in his response, but I don't think he should have been suspended.

I agree here. It was a touchy subject and he managed to create more of a firestorm than his intent.
Agree with everything - except I do like Stephen A. Often provides perspective that I sorely lack.

 

I use to not like him, mainly due to the way he comes across with his point, but over time he seems to have grown on me.

Inexcusable, I don't care what his wife was doing. He's a 6', 200 lb professional football player. There are numerous ways he could've subdued her without knocking her out cold.

 

Can't believe I'm using him as an example, but we didn't see Jay-Z throwing bows on Beyonce's sister in the elevator when she was attacking him. Why couldn't Rice have done the same?

And I don't think anyone is supporting Rice here, even Smith. He has said countless times before this incident there is never a reason to put your hands on another woman. His entire point was that the entire dialogue with domestic violence centers around how a male reacts and females are often left as the sole victim in disputes.
I use to not like him, mainly due to the way he comes across with his point, but over time he seems to have grown on me.

 

Me as well.

 

As to the question why ESPN waited so long.... they became victims of the NFL's lack of discipline to Rice. All week Stephen A., Skip, and every other pundit in the media crushed the NFL for not doing more, saying they had a chance to take a stand and set an example. ESPN had to ask themselves the same question about Smith and decided to take action since the NFL didn't.

I can't buy that. They were in an elevator, he couldn't "walk away" like some have insisted he do. But it's not like he's PeeWee Herman. He's in the top 1% of athletes in the world. He made a poor decision, IMO. And his wife wasn't exactly Ronda Rowsey.

 

I'm confused. You say you can't buy that then say he couldn't just walk away?

 

For the record I don't condone what he did and I would like to think I would never hit a woman. I've made it 39 years without doing it and been tested plenty by a former girl friend.

I'm not necessarily a Stephen A. Smith fan but he's in a tough position. They throw those guys on live television and ask them to rapid fire about highly controversial topics. Then, they suspend them if they say anything too controversial. Again, not really a fan, but that's a tough position to be in.

I will go a step further, I lost respect for Stephen A. Smith on this one, he should not have apologized.

 

I know you're retired, but would you have apologized for something you didn't feel you needed to apologize for if it meant the difference between keeping and losing your job?

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Recently Browsing 0

  • No registered users viewing this page.

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.