July 29, 201412 yr ESPN has suspended Stephen A. Smith from its TV and radio airwaves for a week following his controversial comments about Baltimore running back Ray Rice's wife, according to Sports Illustrated. http://sports.yahoo.com/blogs/nfl-shutdown-corner/espn-suspends-stephen-a--smith-over-ray-rice-domestic-abuse-commentary-213719386.html
July 29, 201412 yr Why did they wait until after he went on TV and apologized and did the show on Monday and Tuesday?
July 29, 201412 yr Sad day... ESPN is chicken you know what on this. I am with Whoopi on this: Whoopi Goldberg Defends Stephen A. Smith: If You Hit a Man, Don?t Be Surprised if He Hits Back - The Root “If you make the choice as a woman who’s 4 foot 3 and you decide to hit a guy who’s 6 feet tall and you’re the last thing he wants to deal with that day and he hits you back, you cannot be surprised!” Goldberg stated on The View. Although the other hosts vehemently disagreed with Goldberg, she stood firm in her opinion. “I know I’m going to catch a lot of hell, and I don’t care. But you have to teach women, do not live with this idea that men have this chivalry thing still with them; don’t assume that that is still in place.” ============================= I will go a step further, I lost respect for Stephen A. Smith on this one, he should not have apologized. And no I am not for hitting anyone including women but no matter who you are if you provoke another individual or hit them first you may have it coming.
July 29, 201412 yr ESPN must have been doing some "Market research" to wait 4 days and two days after he apologized and explained what he meant, to then suspend him.
July 29, 201412 yr I'm with Whoopi on this one.I agree with her premise but in almost all cases men need to show restraint in that situation.
July 30, 201412 yr I agree with Smith and Whoppie. It may not be the popular opinion, especially with other women. I am not saying that women "ask for it." What I am saying is that, in some cases, you can take preventative measures to protect yourself before domestic violence happens.
July 30, 201412 yr Sad day... ESPN is chicken you know what on this. I am with Whoopi on this: Whoopi Goldberg Defends Stephen A. Smith: If You Hit a Man' date=' Don?t Be Surprised if He Hits Back - The Root[/url'] “If you make the choice as a woman who’s 4 foot 3 and you decide to hit a guy who’s 6 feet tall and you’re the last thing he wants to deal with that day and he hits you back, you cannot be surprised!” Goldberg stated on The View. Although the other hosts vehemently disagreed with Goldberg, she stood firm in her opinion. “I know I’m going to catch a lot of hell, and I don’t care. But you have to teach women, do not live with this idea that men have this chivalry thing still with them; don’t assume that that is still in place.” ============================= I will go a step further, I lost respect for Stephen A. Smith on this one, he should not have apologized. And no I am not for hitting anyone including women but no matter who you are if you provoke another individual or hit them first you may have it coming. So if when your son was 10 years old and he spit in the face of your 36 year old male neighbor you would have understood if your neighbor had punched him? Now I know you no doubt would have properly punished your son, but I find it hard to believe you would have had no problem with your neighbor striking your son. The male simply has to have more restraint than that.
July 30, 201412 yr So if when your son was 10 years old and he spit in the face of your 36 year old male neighbor you would have understood if your neighbor had punched him? Now I know you no doubt would have properly punished your son, but I find it hard to believe you would have had no problem with your neighbor striking your son. The male simply has to have more restraint than that. Really? That's the same in your mind?
July 30, 201412 yr For what it's worth, he initially said that women should "make sure we don't do anything to provoke wrong actions" and that women need to learn to do "their part" in not provoking abuse, which I think most people rightly interpreted to be the analogue of the "maybe if women didn't wear short skirts they wouldn't get raped" mindset. It's like saying "men will be men, so women should straighten up if they want to be safe."
July 30, 201412 yr So if when your son was 10 years old and he spit in the face of your 36 year old male neighbor you would have understood if your neighbor had punched him? Now I know you no doubt would have properly punished your son' date=' but I find it hard to believe you would have had no problem with your neighbor striking your son. The male simply has to have more restraint than that.[/quote'] What color is the sky in your world?
July 30, 201412 yr Really? That's the same in your mind? Did you read guru's post? Sad day... ESPN is chicken you know what on this. I am with Whoopi on this: And no I am not for hitting anyone including women but no matter who you are if you provoke another individual or hit them first you may have it coming. But no matter who you are? Yes, I say it's the same.
July 30, 201412 yr I agree with her premise but in almost all cases men need to show restraint in that situation. So if when your son was 10 years old and he spit in the face of your 36 year old male neighbor you would have understood if your neighbor had punched him? Now I know you no doubt would have properly punished your son, but I find it hard to believe you would have had no problem with your neighbor striking your son. The male simply has to have more restraint than that. I agree that the male should have more restraint and is responsible for his own actions. To use LRCW's example, if the guy punches G's son, it is the guy's fault and he should be punished fully. However, g's son would still have been hit. If you can do something (or not do something) ahead of time to prevent it, wouldn't that be the better option? In some situations, there is nothing that can be done ahead of time. Some people will be violent without any provocation. Some men will rape regardless. But in other situations, small actions can prevent an outcome.
July 30, 201412 yr What color is the sky in your world? Did you say no matter who you are? I can't read your mind.
July 30, 201412 yr For those of you who think my question to the guru regarding his son are apples and oranges as far as striking a woman and a child if provoked. I'm sure all of you know or have seen 10 year old boys that are far less delicate or fragile than many women. I just don't get the " I understand how the guy would have hit the woman" thought process. It simply can't happen no matter how much he was provoked.
Archived
This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.