Nancy Pelosi says Hamas is a...

Ok, Now I need some help from my right-wing friends on here, lol.

Someone I work for on the weekends, who happens to be Muslim, who has always seen eye to eye with me on everything, has now lost it. He is seeing things the wrong was when it concerns Gaza, Palestine, and Hamas. I just don't know how to debate him, as I really tune it out and don't pay attention or end up putting my earphones in and listening to stuff on my iPhone. I really don't want to hear what he says, but one thing he did say is that the people in Gaza need Hamas as their security or something as no one else will protect him. When asked about my views, I just said we are going to have to agree to disagree without even touching the subject as I will never see or agree to your point of view. Now, this guy loves to debate, and as I mentioned, has seen everything basically eye to eye with me. When he is debating others, I feel like he is just against what the other person is saying just for the sake of being able to debate. I am not even sure I want to debate him, as like I am sure with all of you, I will never see his side and I don't want to hear some propaganda garbage.

I have learned that you have to be very careful in discussing politics at work. I once worked for a consulting company that was owned by an extreme left wing Democrat in Indianapolis. He periodically came by my desk after hours to debate politics. He would become very animated, wave his arms, etc. as we argued, but he always thanked me for the debate and shook my hand before walking away. He was the best boss that I have ever worked for and enjoyed arguing as much as I do.

However, the owner's little brother was my immediate supervisor, and he was also a far left winger, a Sierra Club member, etc. He was a great guy to work for, but I found that unlike his brother he was unable to control his emotions and turn the heat down after a debate. Consequently, I avoided debating politics with him. We knew where each other stood politically, but it was just not worth putting a friendship on the line to discuss something on which we would never find common ground.

I have only known one Muslim in my life with whom I was comfortable discussing politics and that was many years ago. He hated the Shah and he hated the Iranian Islamic extremists as well. We were both engineering students and he was quite a bit older than me but we would often drink shots of tequila and discuss international politics late into the night. He taught me a lot about Iranian political and religious factions and the mistakes that the American government made in dealing with Iran.

As a rule, however, I would never discuss politics with a Muslim, especially one who might have friends or family in a war zone, which describes a large part of the world that is inhabited by Muslims. I was in college at a time when the Iranian "students" stormed the American embassy and took hostages. I have seen how angry many Muslims become when politics or religion is the topic of discussion.

My advice is that if you must work for a Muslim, turn up the volume on your ear buds and try your best to ignore your his extreme political positions. Believe it or not, I rarely comment on political issues while at work - but it is sometimes very hard not to wade into an area that I know that I should avoid. :lol2:

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm not worried! He was kind of a friend first, and I'm actually doing him a favor and give a discount on my fee, it's not my main source.

But he is always discussing politics and until now we basically agreed on almost everything. He keeps pushing the issue, as he does with anyone , as I said he does this to get a good debate going.

But if anyone does have info that I mentioned in my precious post, go for it! I need weapons. Besides what I said last night and an hour ago that if it was up to me I would march through Gaza and not leave until every Hamas member was dead.

BTW, he is from Africa, his family is no where close to Gaza.

I don't understand this, Sportsguy.

You're saying you won't listen to this guy's position, yet you're certain it's wrong. But, you only know it's wrong, you just don't have the information to argue it's wrong. So, you're asking people to give you information so that you can tell this guy he's wrong.

That sounds like you have your opinion made up, but don't have the reasons for it yet. And instead of looking at all the reasons, then making up your opinion, you're asking for people to fill in the reasons for you.

I'm not endorsing what this guy says, and I don't know what he says, but if you are so convinced you are so right why would you not be able to provide the support you need?

No, you don't understand this guy! As I have mentioned a few times, he does like to argue and will never give up, he loves to debate and in doing so will never give up, this happens with employees and customers. No matter what I and others have said, he basically said that Hamas was good for Palestine and needed tremendously, but you cannot reason with the guy, who also seems to make up things about the occupation and how everything is Israel's fault and that everything was fine in that region until Israel became a country around 60 years ago. You cannot reason with him at all! He wants to win an argument, and any discussions always end up in a argument.

He is very intelligent, but you can't reason with him when he will never see any side of the subject, he will dismiss everyone anyone says that says anything against anything he is for.

I also made it VERY clear that I was on an iPhone and it is difficult to look anything up. I know some facts, it's just to back them up while attempting to look up the facts to back up what I know is correct, and if you don't have those he will automatically dismiss anything you say.

Also, when you are dealing with someone who is saying Hamas shouldn't deal with Israel until Israel accepts any and all demands that Hamas wants, including ending the blockade and the end if an Israeli State. Hamas original charter or whatever, states they will fight until the destruction of Israel, which supposably now Hamas says they can deal with the Jews and Christians BUT ONLY under an Islamic state, all of which this guy agrees. Telling him that Israel should not and will not give up being a nation goes nowhere with him.

I figured some of the right-wing people on here would have info at hand. Especially since they were so quick to judge Pelosi on a misunderstanding or misinterpretation.

In the past some have asked on here for facts to assist them in a "discussion" outside of BGP and myself and others have assisted, even if I didn't see eye to eye with them.

So again, is Hamas good for that region and a humanitarian organization? And was it all peace and love in the region before the creation of an Israeli State?

But since my request several hours ago, I was able to painstakingly find some of the facts, that I knew about and agreed with but needed the exact wording and where I got the information.

Again, if I was at home I could find this stuff much easier. Same thing when I am defending some stuff in the Bible, I know what is said pretty much, but it is not as clear in my mind on specifics and exactly where is is mentioned. Even though I know the facts and agree with them, just saying "well it's in there, trust me", doesn't work. :)