Bryan Station

If I'm Johnson and I have security at Franklin County, especially with a slight chance that they get moved out of the 11th in a future realignment, I really have reservations about taking the Bryan Station job with the kind of turnover in the program.

Does Johnson have any deep ties to the Lexington area and/or Station that I'm not aware of? I was thinking he went to high school in the Frankfort area and came up as an assistant at Franklin County.

• Replies 42
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I strongly believe with the right hire Bryan Station has a chance to be a very good basketball program. I know there are issues (money, re-districting, etc.) but I think the infrastructure is there for a good program. Of course that is just my opinion.

I strongly believe with the right hire Bryan Station has a chance to be a very good basketball program. I know there are issues (money, re-districting, etc.) but I think the infrastructure is there for a good program. Of course that is just my opinion.

I agree.

I know what you are saying, but it being there and it being a reality are two really different things. The more I learn about Bryan Station, the less desirable I see the job as being. This is coming from someone who has attended plenty of their games in the past decade. It's like the program is cursed by a two steps forward, three steps back legacy, and I don't know if that ever really changes without something major happening.

Talent in the Lexington publics really seems to go in cycles. In the early to mid-90's, Tates Creek and Dunbar had some good teams that made runs, but haven't consistently been the same since. It looks like Dunbar has the most young talent coming back, and will probably be the best of the publics for the next few years unless something changes.

I think Station might have missed their run if they didn't do it with Mack and company, and with enrollment declining, a tougher district, and a new school set to open in the area, I'm not sure if there ceiling is much higher. Just to add to it, with Lexington Catholic, and now even LCA looking like a place that might eventually tap into the city's talent at younger levels, you wonder if some of the kids who might have eventually made impacts as Defenders end up there instead.

Joker, Thanks for your insight on the Station situation. I agree with just about everything you pointed out. That is why I said with the "Right Hire". I think a master organizer that can relate to kids is needed in the Station position. I'm not sure but I believe there is like 4 middle schools (or parts of 4) that feed into Station. Somebody please correct me if I'm wrong. With those and all the elementary schools, there has to be a way to build a solid feeder system. I understand your point with enrollment and agree the new high school would be my biggest concern. I also agree with Lex. Cath and LCA emerging there is also fear of losing kids. But with all that being said, I still think Station is a very desirable job. I wish nothing but the best for the kids at Bryan Station.

With June upon us and the start of summer ball, will there be somebody in place to guide the kids?

If Im Bryan Station's Administration or Athletic Director, I'm hiring Jaron Brown unless Phil Jackson or John Calipari wants it. It's the rapport that he has with the kids that's already there and the incoming ones as well. He has numerous of community leaders and big names support him and this program. I have no idea what went on during the season but I can say that when Jaron Brown took over as head coach, those kids played with more energy & effort.

If Im Bryan Station's Administration or Athletic Director, I'm hiring Jaron Brown unless Phil Jackson or John Calipari wants it. It's the rapport that he has with the kids that's already there and the incoming ones as well. He has numerous of community leaders and big names support him and this program. I have no idea what went on during the season but I can say that when Jaron Brown took over as head coach, those kids played with more energy & effort.

Thanks for the input and welcome to the site Bankshot1000. I agree that it seems like Jaron Brown would have a lot of support and the community and some goodwill built up for his work during the season.

Joker, Thanks for your insight on the Station situation. I agree with just about everything you pointed out. That is why I said with the "Right Hire". I think a master organizer that can relate to kids is needed in the Station position. I'm not sure but I believe there is like 4 middle schools (or parts of 4) that feed into Station. Somebody please correct me if I'm wrong. With those and all the elementary schools, there has to be a way to build a solid feeder system. I understand your point with enrollment and agree the new high school would be my biggest concern. I also agree with Lex. Cath and LCA emerging there is also fear of losing kids. But with all that being said, I still think Station is a very desirable job. I wish nothing but the best for the kids at Bryan Station.

With June upon us and the start of summer ball, will there be somebody in place to guide the kids?

Crawford, Winburn, Bryan Station Middle, Leestown & LTMS all feed into Bryan Station High. Some more than others, but they get kids from all 5.

Thanks, and same here.

The kids deserve a good run, especially with all they've been through over the past two years. I'm hoping for them as well.

Those middle school feeders are not necessarily going to Bryan Station. Crawford and LTMS kids may go to Henry Clay or Lafayette. Majority of Leestowns kids go to Dunbar. Winburn and Bryan Station Middle have the greatest chance of their kids attending Bryan Station High School (for basketball).

Bryan Station is a very desirable job, but knowing how they (the administration) did Champ Ligon and supposedly Mike Allen, I doubt it If I would leave my job, come there, and get ran out like the previous two coaches did. This would be my point in hiring Jaron Brown, someone who is already familiar with the players/administration, the school system, and it gives him an opportunity to get head coaching experience. He's an "In-House" guy who has parent, player, and community support.

Now from what I've been hearing, Tommy Johnson (Franklin co) has a group of talent coming up that will prominent in there district maybe regional contenders.

Those middle school feeders are not necessarily going to Bryan Station. Crawford and LTMS kids may go to Henry Clay or Lafayette. Majority of Leestowns kids go to Dunbar. Winburn and Bryan Station Middle have the greatest chance of their kids attending Bryan Station High School (for basketball).

Bryan Station is a very desirable job, but knowing how they (the administration) did Champ Ligon and supposedly Mike Allen, I doubt it If I would leave my job, come there, and get ran out like the previous two coaches did. This would be my point in hiring Jaron Brown, someone who is already familiar with the players/administration, the school system, and it gives him an opportunity to get head coaching experience. He's an "In-House" guy who has parent, player, and community support.

Now from what I've been hearing, Tommy Johnson (Franklin co) has a group of talent coming up that will prominent in there district maybe regional contenders.

Coach Ligon got a raw deal. However, the information I have received, Coach Allen made his own bed with his actions. It does have athletes but desirable? The school has had some major issues with an audit so I'm not sure how "desirable" a job it is with all things included.

Bankshot, so what determines where they go to High School? Where they attend elementary? Parent's decision?

I'm not familiar with Coach Brown so I can't comment on his situation.

All I can comment on is what I see from the outside. From the outside, I think Station is a good job. Sure there are issues but I think most jobs have issues. I know if I was a head coach in Kentucky, I would take my chances at Station.

I didnt say all go there, but all 5 of these schools feed into Station in some way.

Bankshot, so what determines where they go to High School? Where they attend elementary? Parent's decision?

I'm not familiar with Coach Brown so I can't comment on his situation.

All I can comment on is what I see from the outside. From the outside, I think Station is a good job. Sure there are issues but I think most jobs have issues. I know if I was a head coach in Kentucky, I would take my chances at Station.

Messenger, you can get on the Fayette County website & look @ attendance area maps for the middle & high schools, thats where I was able to get my information. Fayette County high schools also have programs @ each of the high schools that can allow an out of area (in county) student to attend them, some are tested into, others are not.