Region Tournaments at College Venues Questions

Just a few quick question....

How can certain regions play their tournamentsa at college fields?

I know KHSAA shut down basketball tournaments at college venues due to the ability or unfair advantage of recruiting.

Is that not looked at that way for softball as well?

Persnally, I dont have a problem with the softball tournaments at college venues. I wish State was played at a college venue.

Even the baseball state is held at Whitaker Bank Field in Lexington and we get lame, worn ou temporary fences on a mens mediocre softball field for state!!!!!!

IMO you cut a deal with the big colleges and rotate state between them.

Anyway,off my soap box.

I think that many in the softball arena would welcome playing the State Championship on a college field. Would have to agree that venue seems to be sub-par for a Championship.

Anyone have any insight into the "why's" of this still ?

Just a few quick question....

How can certain regions play their tournamentsa at college fields?

I know KHSAA shut down basketball tournaments at college venues due to the ability or unfair advantage of recruiting.

Is that not looked at that way for softball as well?

Persnally, I dont have a problem with the softball tournaments at college venues. I wish State was played at a college venue.

Even the baseball state is held at Whitaker Bank Field in Lexington and we get lame, worn ou temporary fences on a mens mediocre softball field for state!!!!!!

IMO you cut a deal with the big colleges and rotate state between them.

Anyway,off my soap box.

Not a KHSAA rule.

The fields in Owensboror do not meet the requirements listed to host Districts or Regionals. I haven't seen a list of requirements for State published anywhere. Their infields are too deep for one.

NKU is a "top-notch" field for the girls to play on, but for the fans, it is one of the WORST facilities to watch a game.

See post #8.....http://bluegrasspreps.com/ky-softball-high/2014-9th-region-277614.html

Skyline time...

I think the reason in season tournaments aren't allowed is because those are invitationals, which means UK (or anyone else) could host the tournament and invite potential recruits to play in the event.

Postseason tournaments have to be qualified for and thus aren't under the same restrictions.

Not a KHSAA rule.

I know they shut own a tournament in December to be held at Rupp. Still allow Sweet Sixteen there though. That was a few years back too. Maybe it was something to do with just that tournament.

Thanks!

I think the reason in season tournaments aren't allowed is because those are invitationals, which means UK (or anyone else) could host the tournament and invite potential recruits to play in the event.

Postseason tournaments have to be qualified for and thus aren't under the same restrictions.

Makes perfect sense!! Thanks.

NKU is a "top-notch" field for the girls to play on, but for the fans, it is one of the WORST facilities to watch a game.

See post #8.....http://bluegrasspreps.com/ky-softball-high/2014-9th-region-277614.html

I would sit on barbwire swing as long as the girls gt to play on a field built and suitable for fastpitch softball. LOL

Seriously, I just wish they didn't have to contend with misproportioned infields and temporary fences in the outfield to play in State. It is a shame and another money move for somebody.

Thanks to all who have replied, really enjoy the input.

I would love to see the state tournament played on a college field, but it would require a change in format. The current 16 team double elimination format requires too many games to be played on a single field. That's why the state tournament is played at parks with four fields. I wouldn't mind seeing high school mimick the college setup with region winners meeting in a best 2 of 3 series (super regional) with eight teams advancing to the state tournament, played like the college World Series.

I would love to see the state tournament played on a college field, but it would require a change in format. The current 16 team double elimination format requires too many games to be played on a single field. That's why the state tournament is played at parks with four fields. I wouldn't mind seeing high school mimick the college setup with region winners meeting in a best 2 of 3 series (super regional) with eight teams advancing to the state tournament, played like the college World Series.

Baseball used to operate this way.