40 Games in

IMO, baseball would be better served if the salary structure was the same as the NFL.

Very true but it's totally on the owner and GM here that they gave the money they did to an aging middle infielder, and an injured 1st baseman with two years left on his deal to make sure he was going to be the same player.

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Very true but it's totally on the owner and GM here that they gave the money they did to an aging middle infielder, and an injured 1st baseman with two years left on his deal to make sure he was going to be the same player.

I'm more upset with the awful contracts he gave to some of the guys in the bullpen.

I'm more upset with the awful contracts he gave to some of the guys in the bullpen.

Same here. I'd have done the Votto deal in a blink. Never saw what was coming. The Homer deal, however, I have never been a fan of that one and think it'll end up being the worst of the bunch.

None of those are 6 or 10 year deals though. These will be so much worse down the line.

None of those are 6 or 10 year deals though. These will be so much worse down the line.

Everyone clamors for a big bat, well big and wide's contract sure would be nice to have off the ledger.

Everyone clamors for a big bat, well big and wide's contract sure would be nice to have off the ledger.

Good point. Where would said big bat play in the field? 3B isn't the hole some assumed and LF is probably as good as the people available?

Good point. Where would said big bat play in the field? 3B isn't the hole some assumed and LF is probably as good as the people available?

RF now. Would have been LF perhaps. Anywhere at this point.

RF now. Would have been LF perhaps. Anywhere at this point.

They aren't/weren't dealing for a bat in RF. If everyone was healthy and Shumacker and Heisey were the first two bats off the bench it wouldn't be an issue. Their contracts for sure hindered their chances at having a strong bench including Broxton's like you mentioned. However their starters aren't that bad. Ludwick is probably really close to any free agent they could have had in the offseason.

The "big bat" could play wherever. If the bat is good enough, you find a spot for it in the field.

If the big bat prefers 3rd base, you could move Frazier to the outfield.

The "big bat" could play wherever. If the bat is good enough, you find a spot for it in the field.

If the big bat prefers 3rd base, you could move Frazier to the outfield.

Who was that potential bat or who is it now? Spin was acting like Broxton's contract is the reason they don't have one. What position would they have looked? 3B may have been one and Frazier has been pretty good.

Who was that potential bat or who is it now? Spin was acting like Broxton's contract is the reason they don't have one. What position would they have looked? 3B may have been one and Frazier has been pretty good.

Off the top of my head, I'm not sure. I've said it in several threads, I would have liked to have seen the Reds pursue Michael Morse & Emilio Bonifacio.

Marshall too.

Off the top of my head, I'm not sure. I've said it in several threads, I would have liked to have seen the Reds pursue Michael Morse & Emilio Bonifacio.

I just don't think they thought they had such inefficiencies on the offensive side. They were not going to add a bat because they didn't think they needed to.