Lakers to reach out to Coach Cal

CamoHokie

More importantly, how does BBN feel about Cal agreeing to do an interview with the Lakers (if he does)? One thing to have your name tied to the job, another to actually sit with them and discuss the position. Will he be seen as a traitor? Will BBN begin looking for the next Cal? After the tweet yesterday, many feel like the issue is closed but it could be a smoke screen ala Memphis in 09.

• Replies 102
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

More importantly, how does BBN feel about Cal agreeing to do an interview with the Lakers (if he does)? One thing to have your name tied to the job, another to actually sit with them and discuss the position. Will he be seen as a traitor? Will BBN begin looking for the next Cal? After the tweet yesterday, many feel like the issue is closed but it could be a smoke screen ala Memphis in 09.

Wouldn't care at all, although I highly doubt it's going to happen.

Wouldn't care at all, although I highly doubt it's going to happen.

Myself personally would not want to coach this Lakers team. I think the Lakers need to make a lot of changes. They need to get a top five pick via the lottery, I'd try to trade Pau Gasol during the draft if you can for a mid 1st rounder or so. Two top 20 picks in a loaded draft? Sounds like a good idea for me. If I'm a coach, I would demand those things (obviously can't demand a top five pick, but talking Gasol trade.) Worst case scenario, you do bad again and you get another high pick and build up like OKC. Best case scenario, the two picks fit in well with a healthy Kobe, and they potentially make the playoffs in year one. We'll see what the Lakers do though.

Myself personally would not want to coach this Lakers team. I think the Lakers need to make a lot of changes. They need to get a top five pick via the lottery, I'd try to trade Pau Gasol during the draft if you can for a mid 1st rounder or so. Two top 20 picks in a loaded draft? Sounds like a good idea for me. If I'm a coach, I would demand those things (obviously can't demand a top five pick, but talking Gasol trade.) Worst case scenario, you do bad again and you get another high pick and build up like OKC. Best case scenario, the two picks fit in well with a healthy Kobe, and they potentially make the playoffs in year one. We'll see what the Lakers do though.

I've seen reports that have said they need to hire a young guy, because the situation isn't at all appealing to veteran, experienced coaches. It'll be at least 2 years before they're really able to compete, and dealing with Kobe during the time is going to be a nightmare for any coach. Something that coaching vets probably don't want to deal with.

I've seen reports that have said they need to hire a young guy, because the situation isn't at all appealing to veteran, experienced coaches. It'll be at least 2 years before they're really able to compete, and dealing with Kobe during the time is going to be a nightmare for any coach. Something that coaching vets probably don't want to deal with.

Right on the money. Gotta tank for one more year, but trading away an aging Pau Gasol for building block of the future is a good start. If I'm the Lakers, there's absolutely no way I take Embiid with a top five pick though. Just too risky. They'll have deja vu of Dwight Howard's back problems.

Right on the money. Gotta tank for one more year, but trading away an aging Pau Gasol for building block of the future is a good start. If I'm the Lakers, there's absolutely no way I take Embiid with a top five pick though. Just too risky. They'll have deja vu of Dwight Howard's back problems.

Pau is a free agent.

If the Lakers call, you listen...even if you're not really interested.

Haha, never mind then. Didn't remember that. Well, they don't really have any other trading chips, so there goes the mid 1st idea. Another year of tanking it is.

They have plenty of money to go after FAs this year and a good draft pick. They won't be anything close to tank mode next year.

They have plenty of money to go after FAs this year and a good draft pick. They won't be anything close to tank mode next year.

I disagree. I think they'll focus on the 2015 free agency. They'll be Nash-less by then, and could have another young stud.

More importantly' date=' how does BBN feel about Cal agreeing to do an interview with the Lakers (if he does)? One thing to have your name tied to the job, another to actually sit with them and discuss the position. Will he be seen as a traitor? Will BBN begin looking for the next Cal? After the tweet yesterday, many feel like the issue is closed but it could be a smoke screen ala Memphis in 09.[/quote']

Think he heeds a raise.