Tennessee Title Games

Wow, I think I've got it. Lots of trophies to hand out. And then some in KY complain about 6 classes in football being too many.

Yes. In football, 8 Championship trophies (6 in D1, 2 in D2), all others sports 5 championships (3 in D1, 2 in D2).

There is Ensworth again....talk about evil empire.

Is FRA Franklin Road Academy?

Yes. FRA is probably the largest of the D2, Class A schools. Scary to think that Einsworth only has about 300 high school students. I think they could actually be with Franklin Road Academy in Class A instead of playing with Brentwood Academy, MBA, Father Ryan & Pope John Paul II in Class 2A.

What constitutes a "non-scholarship private school" in Tennessee? Is it a private school that gives no financial aid at all (even if it is based on demonstrated need) or is it a private school that might give financial aid but gives no merit-based aid?

What constitutes a "non-scholarship private school" in Tennessee? Is it a private school that gives no financial aid at all (even if it is based on demonstrated need) or is it a private school that might give financial aid but gives no merit-based aid?

If you receive aid in a non-aid school...you are not eligible to play sports.

Ant;

You are correct: I don't think any of the D2, Class A schools, even after the 1.8 enrollment multiplier, would be Class 5A in football. Still, even with the multiplier some of those schools would still have an advantage playing in the Class 3A and smaller classes. For example, a "non-scholarship" Private school with 400 enrollment (Christ Pres. is close to that enrollment for high school) is only "multiplied" to about 700 to remain in D1. They are still only a Class 3A football school. However, they have been in the Semis or Finals the past 3 years or so. If they were forced into D2, they would be playing with the Big 3 in D2, Class AA (MBA, BA & Einsworth). Slightly tougher sledding than beating up on D1, Class 3A teams!

Our county has "open enrollment" IF the school you want to attend has room. As some schools have reached their ceiling in number of students and others have not, that has added a further level of friction even among the public high schools within a county.

When the tssaa refined the rule that you could not move up 2 classes due to the multiplier...it reduced the multiplier. Goodpasture...Lipscomb...and Catholic all moved down a class. It virtually did away with the 1.8. I think that was a bad move. If Goodpasture & CPA had won...and they both should have.,.it would have fueled the fire even more.

Hoops;

A "non-scholarship" private school is one that gives no financial aid. However, there is some controversy over the "work study" allowed to reduce tuition used by some of the "non-scholarship" private schools.

In TN, financial aid is granted by the "scholarship granting" private schools on the difference between what a student can pay (calculated by entering family's financial info) and the cost of tuition. In theory, a student enters his family financial info and the formula says the family can pay X amount. The school can then grant the difference as financial aid. Some private schools cap the amount they will give, others do not. For example, I know one of the smaller private schools in the Nashville area is about $10,000 per year in tuition. If the student's family enters their financial info and it says the student must pay $6,000 per year, then that school could only grant up to $4,000 in aid. However, in the case of Einsworth or MBA with tuition amount of $18,000 to $22,000 per year, the school can grant the $12,000 or even $16,000 in aid above the amount the student is supposed to pay. If the student's financial status says they can pay little or even zero $, these schools can give them the entire amount of tuition.

When the tssaa refined the rule that you could not move up 2 classes due to the multiplier...it reduced the multiplier. Goodpasture...Lipscomb...and Catholic all moved down a class. It virtually did away with the 1.8. I think that was a bad move. If Goodpasture & CPA had won...and they both should have.,.it would have fueled the fire even more.

Ant;

Bottom line as I see it; The TSSAA has a choice of completely separating all the Private schools (Non-scholarship & scholarship granting) into a separate Division and risk losing all of them -or- keeping the system status quo and listen to the flak from the public schools. I suppose a third option would be to allow the "non-scholarship" private schools to remain in D1 and further tweak the system to make it harder for them to dominate. Good luck with that one!

Hoops;

A "non-scholarship" private school is one that gives no financial aid. However, there is some controversy over the "work study" allowed to reduce tuition used by some of the "non-scholarship" private schools.

In TN, financial aid is granted by the "scholarship granting" private schools on the difference between what a student can pay (calculated by entering family's financial info) and the cost of tuition. In theory, a student enters his family financial info and the formula says the family can pay X amount. The school can then grant the difference as financial aid. Some private schools cap the amount they will give, others do not. For example, I know one of the smaller private schools in the Nashville area is about $10,000 per year in tuition. If the student's family enters their financial info and it says the student must pay $6,000 per year, then that school could only grant up to $4,000 in aid. However, in the case of Einsworth or MBA with tuition amount of $18,000 to $22,000 per year, the school can grant the $12,000 or even $16,000 in aid above the amount the student is supposed to pay. If the student's financial status says they can pay little or even zero $, these schools can give them the entire amount of tuition.

Thanks. I've dealt with Kentucky's eligibility rules a little and it is interesting to compare how different states approach things differently.

For anyone that cares:

Class A Memphis Mitchell 56 - Meigs County 27.

No contest. Mitchell beat Goodpasture in OT in 1st round.

Class AA Jackson Southside 91 - East Nashville 83 in 2 OT

Incredible game. EN was down 10 late in regulation. SS upset CPA in semis.

Class AAA Murfreesboro Blackman 60 - Oak Ridge 58.

Blackman came from 10 down in 4th by scoring 31 points in 4th. Blackman won both boys & girls titles.

Footnote on that Class A Championship Game. We played Memphis Mitchell in 2009 in the Semi-Finals of 5A football. Four schools years later, they are 2A in football. Talk about a drop in enrollment.

Ant;

Bottom line as I see it; The TSSAA has a choice of completely separating all the Private schools (Non-scholarship & scholarship granting) into a separate Division and risk losing all of them -or- keeping the system status quo and listen to the flak from the public schools. I suppose a third option would be to allow the "non-scholarship" private schools to remain in D1 and further tweak the system to make it harder for them to dominate. Good luck with that one!

I totally agree. I am not sure what they will do. The push to split is bigger than the other times. I really don't see why the privates would start their own association. If that happens...publics & privates won't play in the regular season. I don't think anyone wants that.