Tennessee Title Games

For anyone that cares:

Class A Memphis Mitchell 56 - Meigs County 27.

No contest. Mitchell beat Goodpasture in OT in 1st round.

Class AA Jackson Southside 91 - East Nashville 83 in 2 OT

Incredible game. EN was down 10 late in regulation. SS upset CPA in semis.

Class AAA Murfreesboro Blackman 60 - Oak Ridge 58.

Blackman came from 10 down in 4th by scoring 31 points in 4th. Blackman won both boys & girls titles.

Does TN separate public schools and private schools for basketball like they do for football?

There is a push to totally separate publics & privates. It was presented to tssaa board last Wednesday.

They elected not to vote on the issue. Many think it will happen this year.

Ant;

From talking with a person in the know from a private school, the TSSAA is hesitant due to the fact of a threat (real or perceived) that if they force all private schools to Division 2, all the D2 schools will break off from the TSSAA and create a new organization. Losing dues from about 70 schools may not be something the TSSAA wants to see happen.

I definitely see the public schools side (I am associated with a public school). CPA (private school, "non-scholarship") just lost their first basketball game in three years (94 in a row) in the Semis of the State Tourney (won last 2 State Championships in AA) while playing in the public Division. It is hard to believe that all their players are paying the ~ $12-15K tuition to attend there. "Work Study" is the way some have tuition reduced.

In the Nashville area, you have several schools that are private but are allowed in the Public Division (D1) because they are "non-scholarship": Nashville Christian, Goodpasture, Lipscomb, Christ Pres., etc. All have had quite a bit of success recently in either football or basketball.

OlDog;

In Division 1 (public and non-scholarship private schools) Class A & 2A in football are grouped into A for all other sports, Class 3 & 4 football schools are AA, Class 5 & 6 football are grouped into AAA. In Division 2 (private, scholarship granting) there are two classes, A & AA (Brentwood Academy, Einsworth, Montgomery Bell, Father Ryan, Pope John Paul II, etc.

We are Division 1, Class 5 in football, Division 1, AAA in all other sports. We must compete with all the big Class 6A football schools (Mt. Juliet, Lebanon, Murfreesboro Riverdale, etc.) in basketball, softball and all other sports except football.

In KY, think Bowling Green, Cooper, remaining Class 5A in football, but competing with Ryle, Simon Kenton, Male, etc. in all other sports.

Ok, trying to figure B-ball out on the TSSAA web site. Looks like basketball has Div I & II with Classes A, AA, AAA? Antwan, help me out, too dang confusing.

Yes...that is correct. Div. I is nonaid schools. For most sports DI consists of A...AA...AAA. That includes basketball...baseball...softball. In football...there is the same during the regular season..same teams...same districts. But..for playoffs A is split to 1a & 2a. AA to 3a & 4a. AAA to 5a & 6a. Clear as mud.

Ant;

From talking with a person in the know from a private school, the TSSAA is hesitant due to the fact of a threat (real or perceived) that if they force all private schools to Division 2, all the D2 schools will break off from the TSSAA and create a new organization. Losing dues from about 70 schools may not be something the TSSAA wants to see happen.

I definitely see the public schools side (I am associated with a public school). CPA (private school, "non-scholarship") just lost their first basketball game in three years (94 in a row) in the Semis of the State Tourney (won last 2 State Championships in AA) while playing in the public Division. It is hard to believe that all their players are paying the ~ $12-15K tuition to attend there. "Work Study" is the way some have tuition reduced.

In the Nashville area, you have several schools that are private but are allowed in the Public Division (D1) because they are "non-scholarship": Nashville Christian, Goodpasture, Lipscomb, Christ Pres., etc. All have had quite a bit of success recently in either football or basketball.

That is the question. There is no good answer. Many think the tssaa will pull the trigger this time. I am not so sure. The privates very well could leave and form their own association. The open zone schools are in the conversation also. Being in 5a..you do not have to worry about the small privates.

I don't think many 5a & 6a schools care one way or the other. I doubt I would.

There is Ensworth again....talk about evil empire.

Is FRA Franklin Road Academy?

Yes. Ensworth won the title again with a 19-11 record. Bowers coaches basketball too. They got a late start...still won.

OlDog;

In Division 1 (public and non-scholarship private schools) Class A & 2A in football are grouped into A for all other sports, Class 3 & 4 football schools are AA, Class 5 & 6 football are grouped into AAA. In Division 2 (private, scholarship granting) there are two classes, A & AA (Brentwood Academy, Einsworth, Montgomery Bell, Father Ryan, Pope John Paul II, etc.

We are Division 1, Class 5 in football, Division 1, AAA in all other sports. We must compete with all the big Class 6A football schools (Mt. Juliet, Lebanon, Murfreesboro Riverdale, etc.) in basketball, softball and all other sports except football.

In KY, think Bowling Green, Cooper, remaining Class 5A in football, but competing with Ryle, Simon Kenton, Male, etc. in all other sports.

Wow, I think I've got it. Lots of trophies to hand out. And then some in KY complain about 6 classes in football being too many.

Yes...that is correct. Div. I is nonaid schools. For most sports DI consists of A...AA...AAA. That includes basketball...baseball...softball. In football...there is the same during the regular season..same teams...same districts. But..for playoffs A is split to 1a & 2a. AA to 3a & 4a. AAA to 5a & 6a. Clear as mud.

Thanks Antwan.

That is the question. There is no good answer. Many think the tssaa will pull the trigger this time. I am not so sure. The privates very well could leave and form their own association. The open zone schools are in the conversation also. Being in 5a..you do not have to worry about the small privates.

I don't think many 5a & 6a schools care one way or the other. I doubt I would.

Ant;

You are correct: I don't think any of the D2, Class A schools, even after the 1.8 enrollment multiplier, would be Class 5A in football. Still, even with the multiplier some of those schools would still have an advantage playing in the Class 3A and smaller classes. For example, a "non-scholarship" Private school with 400 enrollment (Christ Pres. is close to that enrollment for high school) is only "multiplied" to about 700 to remain in D1. They are still only a Class 3A football school. However, they have been in the Semis or Finals the past 3 years or so. If they were forced into D2, they would be playing with the Big 3 in D2, Class AA (MBA, BA & Einsworth). Slightly tougher sledding than beating up on D1, Class 3A teams!

Our county has "open enrollment" IF the school you want to attend has room. As some schools have reached their ceiling in number of students and others have not, that has added a further level of friction even among the public high schools within a county.