Bells Move From the 51st to the 52nd

USNavy

Forgive me If this thread has already been talked about, but I was just noticed that Bell County moved from the 51st District which they have won since as far back as 1999, didn't see any other records further back than that.

But my question is what determined that they would move? Just wondering

Scott Lewis

Bahrain

Forgive me If this thread has already been talked about, but I was just noticed that Bell County moved from the 51st District which they have won since as far back as 1999, didn't see any other records further back than that.

Scott Lewis

Bahrain

I take it that you are a soldier. First of all allow me to commend you for that fact, and express my gratitude for your bravery. As far as Bell's move to the 52nd district goes, I believe the main factor was the consolidation of the three county schools in Harlan County: Cawood, Evarts, Cumberland. If those three school combine to form Harlan County High School, and Bell and M'boro stay in the 51st, that would only leave Harlan Independent and Harlan County HS in the 52nd. When HCHC is finally erected, the 52nd district will look like this: Harlan County High School, Bell County, M'boro, and Harlan Independent. If there are any other reasons for the move, maybe someone else can fill you in.

Scott Lewis

Bahrain

I know that they won all the way back to 98, and I believe even to 97. I know it is back to 98 for a fact.

And this guy summed up the whole thing pretty good. :thumb:

I've heard they may be moved back to the 51st to balance their present district until the new Harlan High is complete. If true this would be really unfair to the teams in the new 51st for the next few years.

I've heard they may be moved back to the 51st to balance their present district until the new Harlan High is complete. If true this would be really unfair to the teams in the new 51st for the next few years.

Two five-team districts sounds fairer to me than one four-team district and one six-team district.

Two five-team districts sounds fairer to me than one four-team district and one six-team district.

Bville, Knox Central, and Lynn Camp were part of a six team and sometimes seven team district when in the 50th. Many others have always had 4. IMO that was really unfair.

I think the toughest thing about all the new changes is South Laurel coming into the region. They are a great team. So winning the region would be a huge upset for anyone other than them. Had it not been for them moving in we would be talking about Bell, Clay, Corbin, Bville, and Pineville I believe as the main contenders this year.

The move made sense geography wise, but anyone else winning is going to be extremely hard.

I think the toughest thing about all the new changes is South Laurel coming into the region. They are a great team. So winning the region would be a huge upset for anyone other than them. Had it not been for them moving in we would be talking about Bell, Clay, Corbin, Bville, and Pineville I believe as the main contenders this year.

The move made sense geography wise, but anyone else winning is going to be extremely hard.

Dont know where you been but Pineville is no longer a region contender after last night. I do agree the region would be wide open without South.

Bville, Knox Central, and Lynn Camp were part of a six team and sometimes seven team district when in the 50th. Many others have always had 4. IMO that was really unfair.

That's true. Do you think the KHSAA should be unfair to the 52nd now to make up for that? It wasn't the 52nd District's fault.

I doubt any district has always had four teams. The 52nd had 12 or 13 teams back in the 60s, and the 50th probably did too. The whole point of the realignment was to eliminate six- and three-team districts, and the KHSAA did a good job of that in 63 districts.

Dont know where you been but Pineville is no longer a region contender after last night. I do agree the region would be wide open without South.

Yeah, Im in Lexington and I had no idea what Pineville did last night. This is a shock to me. Ive been really impressed by them. I hated to see them lose this soon.