December 20, 201312 yr Well, A&E "suspended" him before this became such a hullabaloo. Not much incentive to boycott A&E there. I've seen a handful of posts/groups on facebook to the tune of "boycott A&E until Phil is back" or "bring Phil back," which they most certainly will once this fades. So, it sounds to me like they've more or less been successful in getting out in front of this. Not to mention they managed to divert almost all of the media attention away from his less defensible comments in the interview. I would also find it surprising if A&E hadn't discussed or coordinated this suspension charade with the Robertsons beforehand. Probably something like "we need to cool our heels while this blows over" rather than calling him to the principal's office for an earful. I'll also add that I'm not defending A&E here. I'd much prefer a corporation have a spine or some principles they would stand for, even if it hurt their profits every now and then. But since most all corporations don't have morals or ideals their logic here is fairly plain to see. I don't think A&E has been successful in "Getting out in front of this" seeing how big of a story this entire thing has become. If anything I think it shows what a big mistake A&E has made and how much they underestimated the ground swell this would cause.
December 20, 201312 yr Who stands to lose more on this A&E or Duck Dynasty? Those who may be mad at Phil's statements most likely do not watch the show anyway. The Robertson's may take their program somewhere else and be just as profitable.
December 20, 201312 yr The love of money is the root of all evil. GetSlow is the root of all evil :thumb:
December 20, 201312 yr You're looking at from the POV of "does it bother me?" A&E looks at it and says "could it cost us viewers ie ad revenue?" So if Fred is one of your employees and he says something so vile WHILE WEARING your company uniform that your customers are threatening to take their biz elsewhere are you going to fire him? So vile? Are you saying what Phil said was vile? I don't think your analogy works here, because nothing about what Phil said was vile. It was a simple statement of his belief. Now, did he maybe go overboard a little in his comment? probably so...but vile?
December 20, 201312 yr The love of money is the root of all evil. Well, I quoted that wrong. The love of money is the root of all kinds of evil.
December 20, 201312 yr GetSlow is the root of all evil :thumb: No, the love of GetSlow is the root of all kinds of evil.
December 20, 201312 yr Well, I quoted that wrong. The love of money is the root of all kinds of evil. I thought it was, The love of your root is evil
December 20, 201312 yr New to the party. I admit that I haven't taken on the daunting task of plowing through 17 pages of posts before weighing in, but I think I get the general gist. If I may, here's my knee-jerk reaction to this story: 1. I think the show is stupid, but that's just me. Not my cup of tea, and not surprised that many in this country dig it, but to each their own, and I would never protest the show's existence. 2. Although I don't agree with him, I think he has the right to say anything that he wants to. 3. I think A&E have the right to react anyway they want to, but think they're a bit petty for doing so, and makes me question what their motivation is in the process. 4. Not holding my breath, but just wish that one day the gay topic could become a dead issue. 5. Wish the general public could understand that gays that have always known they were gay did not choose to be, and are not lying when they say so, but being so doesn't make them a bad person, maladjusted, or a sinner (not saying all gay people are good people, just as not all straight people are good people, and also not saying that there haven't been a tremendous amount of straight folks who have made great strides in recent years to allow themselves to understand) 6. Wish that all people could see that violent gay bashing or bullying is sinful, and merits no logical justification as a reaction to their anti-gay views... and if anything, that it's far worse behavior than that which they feel is bad behavior for someone being gay. 7. Spent my pre-adult life in a suffocating closet while being a pretty well-adjusted, clean cut, clear headed, peaceful, Christian raised, love desiring, fairly decent student with various talents, friendships, and interests, knowing full good and well that I would have never chosen to be something that would make me have to navigate through life in a self-awareness, self-conscious, paranoid fashion to avoid discovery, and take the chance of being pummeled by the mindless rough necks in the neighborhood, or classmates that would have certainly made my life a living hell because of their lack of understanding and sophomoric nature. Had to realize after much self-battle and self-analysis that I was not a bad person, and that being gay was not all of who I am, and that I am also a son, a brother, an uncle, a friend etc. etc. etc., and that society, without ever having the personal challenge, life experience, or consciousness to award them the ability to truly understand, could only view things in a way they were raised (brainwashed) to, and were only following the unfortunate social norms with their misguided reactions. 8. Wish that I personally could get to a place in life where the topic was a dead issue with me, and that I didn't even feel it necessary, and could resist my urge to weigh in on it for having lived with the topic my whole life to just become rather burnt out on it all, and think to myself "Wow... the world is really still ate up with it, including myself, and can't just get a clue, and get the hell over it already?" With the modern day endless discussion of it all, whereas folks in the past had little opportunity to understand, by now we have all had enough exposure to the topic to realize that it's just as much apart of the human experience as it is for different people to have different hair or eye color. It's still rather difficult for science to prove that, but the proof is pretty much in the pudding, so that there by now should be enough, isn't it? 9. Wish some "not so prejudice" straight people would get over the idea that it's now trendy to be gay, and stop seeking out gay experiences for themselves in an attempt to be viewed as metro-sexuals, for they're not doing those with the "No Choice" argument any favors. They make it look like we're a cult that's recruiting members, and that our more outward existence is in place to promote team switchers. That's not the intent at all. I suppose they can do as they please "not that there's anything wrong with that" - LOL, but they're not at all helping the cause. My hopes for them is to just be themselves just as gay folks want to be. Gay people just don't want to live as past generations did by living a lie, buried deep in a suffocating closet, perhaps sometimes contemplating suicide, or ruining other people's lives by feeling they have very little other choices than to falsely put themselves in straight marriages to save face to avoid social persecution, shock treatment, jail time, or even execution depending on what part of the world they lived in. Hopefully in the modern day, less and less of the fake marriages exist, and the pressure to do so has been mostly eliminated, but don't think for one minute that there aren't countless people still living under those unfair, self debilitating circumstances as a result of yesteryear's social attitudes. Years ago, the folks who are still living lies today, had the limited choice of living as "confirmed bachelors/bachelorettes" that spoke volumes to the general public, and made them spend their lives in a paranoid hell, but also made them come to the realization that getting into a straight marriage did as well. 10. Presently, I don't have a 10th thought about it all, but just thought that it was a nice round number to conclude today's, perhaps one of many, endless writing exercises.
December 20, 201312 yr New to the party. I admit that I haven't taken on the daunting task of plowing through 17 pages of posts before weighing in, but I think I get the general gist. If I may, here's my knee-jerk reaction to this story: 1. I think the show is stupid, but that's just me. Not my cup of tea, and not surprised that many in this country dig it, but to each their own, and I would never protest the show's existence. 2. Although I don't agree with him, I think he has the right to say anything that he wants to. 3. I think A&E have the right to react anyway they want to, but think they're a bit petty for doing so, and makes me question what their motivation is in the process. 4. Not holding my breath, but just wish that one day the gay topic could become a dead issue. 5. Wish the general public could understand that gays that have always known they were gay did not choose to be, and are not lying when they say so, but being so doesn't make them a bad person, maladjusted, or a sinner (not saying all gay people are good people, just as not all straight people are good people, and also not saying that there haven't been a tremendous amount of straight folks who have made great strides in recent years to allow themselves to understand) 6. Wish that all people could see that violent gay bashing or bullying is sinful, and merits no logical justification as a reaction to their anti-gay views... and if anything, that it's far worse behavior than that which they feel is bad behavior for someone being gay. 7. Spent my pre-adult life in a suffocating closet while being a pretty well-adjusted, clean cut, clear headed, peaceful, Christian raised, love desiring, fairly decent student with various talents, friendships, and interests, knowing full good and well that I would have never chosen to be something that would make me have to navigate through life in a self-awareness, self-conscious, paranoid fashion to avoid discovery, and take the chance of being pummeled by the mindless rough necks in the neighborhood, or classmates that would have certainly made my life a living hell because of their lack of understanding and sophomoric nature. Had to realize after much self-battle and self-analysis that I was not a bad person, and that being gay was not all of who I am, and that I am also a son, a brother, an uncle, a friend etc. etc. etc., and that society, without ever having the personal challenge, life experience, or consciousness to award them the ability to truly understand, could only view things in a way they were raised (brainwashed) to, and were only following the unfortunate social norms with their misguided reactions. 8. Wish that I personally could get to a place in life where the topic was a dead issue with me, and that I didn't even feel it necessary, and could resist my urge to weigh in on it for having lived with the topic my whole life to just become rather burnt out on it all, and think to myself "Wow... the world is really still ate up with it, including myself, and can't just get a clue, and get the hell over it already?" With the modern day endless discussion of it all, whereas folks in the past had little opportunity to understand, by now we have all had enough exposure to the topic to realize that it's just as much apart of the human experience as it is for different people to have different hair or eye color. It's still rather difficult for science to prove that, but the proof is pretty much in the pudding, so that there by now should be enough, isn't it? 9. Wish some "not so prejudice" straight people would get over the idea that it's now trendy to be gay, and stop seeking out gay experiences for themselves in an attempt to be viewed as metro-sexuals, for they're not doing those with the "No Choice" argument any favors. They make it look like we're a cult that's recruiting members, and that our more outward existence is in place to promote team switchers. That's not the intent at all. I suppose they can do as they please "not that there's anything wrong with that" - LOL, but they're not at all helping the cause. My hopes for them is to just be themselves just as gay folks want to be. Gay people just don't want to live as past generations did by living a lie, buried deep in a suffocating closet, perhaps sometimes contemplating suicide, or ruining other people's lives by feeling they have very little other choices than to falsely put themselves in straight marriages to save face to avoid social persecution, shock treatment, jail time, or even execution depending on what part of the world they lived in. Hopefully in the modern day, less and less of the fake marriages exist, and the pressure to do so has been mostly eliminated, but don't think for one minute that there aren't countless people still living under those unfair, self debilitating circumstances as a result of yesteryear's social attitudes. Years ago, the folks who are still living lies today, had the limited choice of living as "confirmed bachelors/bachelorettes" that spoke volumes to the general public, and made them spend their lives in a paranoid hell, but also made them come to the realization that getting into a straight marriage did as well. 10. Presently, I don't have a 10th thought about it all, but just thought that it was a nice round number to conclude today's endless writing exercise. Great post. As I stated earlier, I may not agree with what Phil said, but I also have no problem with him discussing his religious views. To be honest with you and everyone else, do I have a problem with Homsexuality? No, not at all. Do I think it's wrong? I don't know to tell you the truth. I was raised Catholic and we all know what Caztholics are "supposed" to think about it. Me however, I don't really care one way or the other, God can make that decision, not me. I have never held any negative thoughts toward anyone who is gay. I have 2 cousins who are homosexuals and their partners have always been great friends and have never looked or treated them any differently than I have anyone else. Like I said, I have no problem with it, it never has d made me feel uneasy but at the same time being raised catholic I really don't know if it is wrong or right, basically I just never really felt I had to categorize homosexuality in any way. I just look at everyone as individuals and as people and that is about it. That is about as truthful as I can be on the subject. I wish everyone good will.
December 20, 201312 yr Great post. As I stated earlier, I may not agree with what Phil said, but I also have no problem with him discussing his religious views. To be honest with you and everyone else, do I have a problem with Homsexuality? No, not at all. Do I think it's wrong? I don't know to tell you the truth. I was raised Catholic and we all know what Caztholics are "supposed" to think about it. Me however, I don't really care one way or the other, God can make that decision, not me. I have never held any negative thoughts toward anyone who is gay. I have 2 cousins who are homosexuals and their partners have always been great friends and have never looked or treated them any differently than I have anyone else. Like I said, I have no problem with it, it never has d made me feel uneasy but at the same time being raised catholic I really don't know if it is wrong or right, basically I just never really felt I had to categorize homosexuality in any way. I just look at everyone as individuals and as people and that is about it. That is about as truthful as I can be on the subject. I wish everyone good will. Trust me, it's in the Catholic theology as well. The big difference is Catholics don't seize upon it and make it their cause d'celebre the way Protestants — mostly Baptists — obsessively do.
December 20, 201312 yr I would pay good money to see a picture of Phil Robertson eating a Chick-Fil-A sandwich right now . . .
December 20, 201312 yr "I admit that I haven't taken on the daunting task of plowing through 17 pages of posts before weighing in, but I think I get the general gist." I had to giggle a little bit when I read this sentence in your post B-Ball-fan. Irony at it's best. Just had to poke fun at you a little. As to the general theme the conversation on this thread has seemed to take: I'm in Phil's camp and of the same belief. I don't get it either. I love me some chicken gizzards. And lots of people don't get that as well. To each his own. I have been around gay people for many years now, went to college with them, probably served in the military with some, have sit down and broken bread at Thanksgiving with a gay male couple, one of which had HIV. I don't personally dislike anyone based on this aspect of their life, though I know there are some that do. But I still think it's wrong, and if someone asked my opinion something akin to what Phil said is what I would say...maybe say it a little differently, but the premise would be the same. Just because someone thinks something is wrong doesn't make them a "hater" or mean they treat someone differently. Unfortunately, especially when pertaining to this subject, that seems to be where the road leads to.
Archived
This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.