Skip to content
View in the app

A better way to browse. Learn more.

BluegrassPreps.com

A full-screen app on your home screen with push notifications, badges and more.

To install this app on iOS and iPadOS
  1. Tap the Share icon in Safari
  2. Scroll the menu and tap Add to Home Screen.
  3. Tap Add in the top-right corner.
To install this app on Android
  1. Tap the 3-dot menu (⋮) in the top-right corner of the browser.
  2. Tap Add to Home screen or Install app.
  3. Confirm by tapping Install.

Phil Robertson Suspended From A&E

Featured Replies

In my opinion, the blame lies solely on A&E in this fiasco. They knew he was a loose cannon in interviews. Where was his handler during this interview? They don't just let guys like this walk in solo, especially for GQ. Their PR guys totally screwed up. I do think someone is going to get fired, but it's not going to be Phil Robertson. I'm not mad at the guy though. Those are his beliefs and he expressed them. I may not agree with all he said but I do like the show and I don't think he is a "bad" man; just uneducated. A&E likes this show too. It is the highest rated cable reality show ever. They have more reason to want this show on the air than the Robertsons. They were successful before Duck Dynasty not only with their duck calling business, but all the hunting shows, videos, merchandise, etc. related to Duck Commander. A&E screwed up royally.
Phil is actually highly educated, masters degree and former teacher.
  • Replies 524
  • Views 41.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Yes, I can. In fact, in every one of my last 3 jobs' handbooks, there is a section that covers behavior/actions outside of work that can lead to disciplinary action, up to and including termination.

 

I've had similar clauses but they all were to include breaking the law in someway, none had ever said that I had to keep my opinion to myself.

 

Here is a question, if I can be fired for actions away from work why could my employer not fire me because away from work I was trying to start a union at work? Because that is against the law for them to do that.

 

I think we are on a very slippery slope if our employer has the right to censure what we say away from work, especially if it doesn't directly apply to the employer.

 

I've had similar clauses but they all were to include breaking the law in someway, none had ever said that I had to keep my opinion to myself.

 

Here is a question, if I can be fired for actions away from work why could my employer not fire me because away from work I was trying to start a union at work? Because that is against the law for them to do that.

 

I think we are on a very slippery slope if our employer has the right to censure what we say away from work, especially if it doesn't directly apply to the employer.

 

My employers state "any action deemed damaging to the brand and/or mission of X Company".

Yes.

Why, what gives a radio station for example the right to fire an employee that also attends the local college and during a campus debate he says something that is deemed unacceptable to some...radio station can fire him?

 

I think unless there is a specific clause in the employment contract what some one does away from work outside of breaking the law is untouchable by the employer.

My employers state "any action deemed damaging to the brand and/or mission of X Company".

 

I'm guessing that is that their discretion what they feel is damaging?

Why, what gives a radio station for example the right to fire an employee that also attends the local college and during a campus debate he says something that is deemed unacceptable to some...radio station can fire him?

 

I think unless there is a specific clause in the employment contract what some one does away from work outside of breaking the law is untouchable by the employer.

 

This does happen...plenty of radio guys have lost their jobs due to saying things both on and off the air. Public figures unfortunately have to deal with this, and if you say something that your employer feels "damages the brand" they can let you go. Think about all the teachers or coaches that have been let go because of pictures that have appeared on facebook, that the school feels are inappropriate. I'm also pretty sure that Phil likely had something in his contract that outlined what would/could happen if he said/did something in public that the company had determined as inappropriate.

Why, what gives a radio station for example the right to fire an employee that also attends the local college and during a campus debate he says something that is deemed unacceptable to some...radio station can fire him?

 

I think unless there is a specific clause in the employment contract what some one does away from work outside of breaking the law is untouchable by the employer.

 

In most states employees are "at will" employees - meaning they can be fired "at will" as long as the reason is not race, religion, sex.

I don't understand the furor over this at all. Freedom of speech is a right, and he said his piece. Freedom from consequences is NOT a right, and A&E meted out consequences. And whether this action draws more viewers or loses viewers, that will be the consequence of their action. Everyday Joes have the same right of free speech and ACME Company can mete out the same action. This is only a big deal because 1) the guy is famous and 2) he is open in his faith. If he were agnostic, no one would be nearly as upset.

 

Move on people.

Getting colder and colder in hell. We're in agreement again!
In most states employees are "at will" employees - meaning they can be fired "at will" as long as the reason is not race, religion, sex.

 

There was a case locally where a new county clerk was elected and fired employees that backed his opponent, you OK with getting fired for that? Not Race, Religion or Sex.

Yes, I can. In fact, in every one of my last 3 jobs' handbooks, there is a section that covers behavior/actions outside of work that can lead to disciplinary action, up to and including termination.

So you would of been fired if you said homosexuality was a sin?

I find that very hard to believe.

In most states employees are "at will" employees - meaning they can be fired "at will" as long as the reason is not race, religion, sex.

Isnt this about religion though? I believe so.

There was a case locally where a new county clerk was elected and fired employees that backed his opponent, you OK with getting fired for that? Not Race, Religion or Sex.

 

Not my style but the boss gets to have who he/she wants as employees.

Isnt this about religion though? I believe so.

 

Mo idea what the contract says but I guarantee you it covers this situation and is legal.

This does happen...plenty of radio guys have lost their jobs due to saying things both on and off the air. Public figures unfortunately have to deal with this, and if you say something that your employer feels "damages the brand" they can let you go. Think about all the teachers or coaches that have been let go because of pictures that have appeared on facebook, that the school feels are inappropriate. I'm also pretty sure that Phil likely had something in his contract that outlined what would/could happen if he said/did something in public that the company had determined as inappropriate.

OK just Radio Station as an example say the kid works at local telemarketer, no on air personality and not the face of the company. Can he still get fired if he leads a protest against the war on the town square and is on the front page of the local newspaper, owner of the company has two sons in the military and decides to fire him. Owner OK to do that or looking at a lawsuit?

OK just Radio Station as an example say the kid works at local telemarketer, no on air personality and not the face of the company. Can he still get fired if he leads a protest against the war on the town square and is on the front page of the local newspaper, owner of the company has two sons in the military and decides to fire him. Owner OK to do that or looking at a lawsuit?

 

He can be fired.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Recently Browsing 0

  • No registered users viewing this page.

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.