Skip to content
View in the app

A better way to browse. Learn more.

BluegrassPreps.com

A full-screen app on your home screen with push notifications, badges and more.

To install this app on iOS and iPadOS
  1. Tap the Share icon in Safari
  2. Scroll the menu and tap Add to Home Screen.
  3. Tap Add in the top-right corner.
To install this app on Android
  1. Tap the 3-dot menu (⋮) in the top-right corner of the browser.
  2. Tap Add to Home screen or Install app.
  3. Confirm by tapping Install.

Phil Robertson Suspended From A&E

Featured Replies

Has Phil clearly stated his view on homosexuality in the show?

 

No, not that I can remember.

  • Replies 524
  • Views 41.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
So if someone said they were all for gayness and were suspended from their job, would everyone have the same opinion on employer rights?

 

Without question. Robertson had the right to say it, the company had the right to react however they saw fit.

 

IMO, Rob Parker shouldn't have been suspended for his comments about RGIII, but they had the right to do so.

IMO, Rush Limbaugh shouldn't have been fired from ESPN for his comments about Donovan McNabb, but they had the right to do so.

IMO, Don Imus shouldn't have been fired for his comments about the Rutgers women's team, but they had the right to do so.

 

And finally, Robertson shouldn't have been suspended IMO, but A&E certainly is within their rights to do so.

I could care less what Phil Robertson thinks and never watch Duck Dynasty .Stupid Show

All reality shows are STUPID !!!!!!!!!

No, not that I can remember.

 

If that's the case then it's not hypocritical IMO.

So you own a company and your shift supervisor is Fred Phelps.

 

On the weekend he rallies Westboro members and they protest a Marine's funeral with "God Hates Fags" and "Your Son Died Because He's Gay."

 

He's wearing a shirt that identifies him as working for you.

 

You're saying you a)don't have a right to and/or b)wouldn't fire him?

So you own a company and your shift supervisor is Fred Phelps.

 

On the weekend he rallies Westboro members and they protest a Marine's funeral with "God Hates Fags" and "Your Son Died Because He's Gay."

 

He's wearing a shirt that identifies him as working for you.

 

You're saying you a)don't have a right to and/or b)wouldn't fire him?

 

Did I know this about Fred before I hired him, like I believe A&E knew what Robertson believed?

Before A&E suspended him, Robertson addressed the homophobic comments in a statement. "My mission today is to go forth and tell people about why I follow Christ and also what the bible teaches, and part of that teaching is that women and men are meant to be together," he said. "However, I would never treat anyone with disrespect just because they are different from me. We are all created by the Almighty and like Him, I love all of humanity. We would all be better off if we loved God and loved each other."

 

Again this statement is why I want more context to the interview with a video. Phil doesn't seem like a mean man , he was stating a belief even if it was naive and poorly worded but never has he come off as mean or wanting to hurt others. I still if I were to make a guess believe part of Phil's comments were meant in jest. Now I don't find humor in it but if I had to guess I believe he wasn't trying to be mean.

 

But like I said private company has rights. My questions before were just trying to find the line on religous freedom. This is obviously not a freedom of speech issue.

But like I said private company has rights. My questions before were just trying to find the line on religous freedom. This is obviously not a freedom of speech issue.

 

A private company does NOT have rights. See the post about the bakery and t-shirt business.

So you own a company and your shift supervisor is Fred Phelps.

 

On the weekend he rallies Westboro members and they protest a Marine's funeral with "God Hates Fags" and "Your Son Died Because He's Gay."

 

He's wearing a shirt that identifies him as working for you.

 

You're saying you a)don't have a right to and/or b)wouldn't fire him?

Did Phil have an A&E shirt on? Serious question, and is there a video interview or no?
So if someone said they were all for gayness and were suspended from their job, would everyone have the same opinion on employer rights?

 

Not a chance, as much as we'd like to think that.

So you own a company and your shift supervisor is Fred Phelps.

 

On the weekend he rallies Westboro members and they protest a Marine's funeral with "God Hates Fags" and "Your Son Died Because He's Gay."

 

He's wearing a shirt that identifies him as working for you.

 

You're saying you a)don't have a right to and/or b)wouldn't fire him?

So you have a job. Tomorrow night you are at a high school basketball game tAlking to someone and they ask you your thoughts about homosexuality and you say you don't agree with it, should you be suspended from your job?

Yes, but not surprising. Phil stating a Biblical view of homosexuality in Phil's own way which is a little over the top. It is a hot button issue and he will be lambasted for it.

People may want to read what he said about black people too.

  • Author
People may want to read what he said about black people too.

 

Yeah, that in his community he worked with black ppl in the fields and that they were happy with their lives? A whole lot to read into that. Blame a man for detailing what he lived first hand, and just because it doesn't comport with the traditional view of the old south pre-1960s, let's throw some more rocks at this man. I love it!

 

Let those who are without sin cast the first stone!

 

It may be eye opening for a lot of people, but the laws in this country are heavily centered around the Christian faith.

Yeah, that in his community he worked with black ppl in the fields and that they were happy with their lives? A whole lot to read into that. Blame a man for detailing what he lived first hand, and just because it doesn't comport with the traditional view of the old south pre-1960s, let's throw some more rocks at this man. I love it!

 

Let those who are without sin cast the first stone!

 

It may be eye opening for a lot of people, but the laws in this country are heavily centered around the Christian faith.

 

His comments were pretty ridiculous. Pre-entitlement? Pre-welfare?

So you have a job. Tomorrow night you are at a high school basketball game tAlking to someone and they ask you your thoughts about homosexuality and you say you don't agree with it, should you be suspended from your job?

 

Not analagous to my question but I will say it depends.

 

Who did I say it to and how much clout do they have with my employer? Is my comment going to cause my company some type of harm or public humiliation? Did I offend my company's biggest customer ie risk losing orders? If it's just "some guy" then I can't see how I'd lose my job. HOWEVER, I fully realize any comment I make in public subjects me to the POTENTIAL of ramifications.

 

 

Now back to my example....

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Recently Browsing 0

  • No registered users viewing this page.

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.