December 19, 201312 yr While I understand that one is illegal while the other is legal, I find it funny that we have selective toleration of sexual behavior. If you are a public figure you cannot object to homosexuality without consequences, however, lets suppose that insteand of Phil stating his belief that homosexuality is a sin, that he instead declared that he preferes to sleep with 12 year old girls. Odds are that he would still be off the show, but nobody would be defending or preaching toleraism for his sexual preference. I don't even think it goes that far. I think the issue is because of his religious beliefs is what the problem apparently is. If he said he preferred to sleep with 12 year old girls, of course he would be off the show and most probably the show would be cancelled. That isn't the issue, the issue is his beliefs come from the Bible he follows and because of that he is being persecuted, not because he prefers to do something that is against the law. 2 totally different things you talk about. He even said it had everything to do with his religious beliefs and what is in the Bible, not his own personal beliefs he just made up on a whim.
December 19, 201312 yr I do not agree with what you have to say, but I'll defend to the death your right to say it. Voltaire No one took away any of his rights.
December 19, 201312 yr Typical highbrow comment. Not shocked. While he probably could give a rip, he lost his job over his religious beliefs. You have no problem with that or did I miss it? I assume you're not shocked because of the intelligent thought behind it vs the "what about his rights" non-thinking, correct? I support his right to express amy and all religious views. I also support his employer's right to keep him OR can him. Pretty clear cut.
December 19, 201312 yr I do not agree with what you have to say, but I'll defend to the death your right to say it. Voltaire No one took away any of his rights.
December 19, 201312 yr Anyone else notice that for the most part ( I know its not 100%) the people who say they watch the show lean right and for the most part the people who say the show is dumb or Phil is ignorant lean left. So if we use BGP as a small sample size I'm guessing Phil didn't make to many of the viewers mad. That could be true, I also find that the Liberal folks who always claimed to be the most tolerable and preach equality and religious freedoms are the first ones to condemn him because of his relgious beliefs.
December 19, 201312 yr I assume you're not shocked because of the intelligent thought behind it vs the "what about his rights" non-thinking, correct? I support his right to express amy and all religious views. I also support his employer's right to keep him OR can him. Pretty clear cut. After thinking about it today Clyde after my original post. Where does Freedom of religion stop? Hypothetically speaking, if he didn't make the more descriptive remarks and mostly quote the bible could an employer punish you for your religious belief. I think the descriptive remarks about anatomy is what set it over the top. But I was wondering does the a private company have a right to discriminate against religous beliefs and if it does is that absolute.
December 19, 201312 yr I assume you're not shocked because of the intelligent thought behind it vs the "what about his rights" non-thinking, correct? I support his right to express amy and all religious views. I also support his employer's right to keep him OR can him. Pretty clear cut. Pretty much. He certainly has the right to voice his beliefs. His employer also has the right to react to those beliefs however they see fit. In turn, the viewership has the right to either continue watching, or boycott the show. This whole thing is the beauty of America.
December 19, 201312 yr No one took away any of his rights. Agreed the anatomy comments were his fault. Again that is why I'd like to see video to understand the tone of the response.
December 19, 201312 yr I assume you're not shocked because of the intelligent thought behind it vs the "what about his rights" non-thinking, correct? I support his right to express amy and all religious views. I also support his employer's right to keep him OR can him. Pretty clear cut. That is very true, and I agree with what you said here. My issue with the entire thing from the start is the fact that A&E knew all along their religious beliefs. He has stated similar things in interviews over the past few years several times. So why now does A&E all of a sudden have a problem with something he said and clearly something they've known about for a long time? That is my problem with the entire situation. A&E made millions off of the family knowing all along their beliefs yet now they decide they don't like what he believes in? That just doesn't fly with me. It's like hiring a guy who got fired from his last job for showing up to work drunk yet you are surprised that he showed up to work drunk last week even after negotiating his hire he said he likes to drink before coming to work. A&E knew what they were getting into, the family even made it part of their negotiations with the network year 1.
December 19, 201312 yr Pretty much. He certainly has the right to voice his beliefs. His employer also has the right to react to those beliefs however they see fit. In turn, the viewership has the right to either continue watching, or boycott the show. This whole thing is the beauty of America. A question I don't have the full answer to and as I stated above in a situation similar to this but without the descriptive nature and just bibical does an employer have the right to punish someone over a religous belief? I don't know if they do.
December 19, 201312 yr A question I don't have the full answer to and as I stated above in a situation similar to this but without the descriptive nature and just bibical does an employer have the right to punish someone over a religous belief? I don't know if they do. I don't know the answer either, but that is what A&E has done. Is it some type of civil rights violation?
December 19, 201312 yr Author Yes to LiptonBash's question regarding they can fire him. Private company, private individual. But as Hellbird mentioned, maybe a civil rights or discriminatory discharge problem.
December 19, 201312 yr A question I don't have the full answer to and as I stated above in a situation similar to this but without the descriptive nature and just bibical does an employer have the right to punish someone over a religous belief? I don't know if they do. Generally speaking, no. Religious belief is a protected class. However, it is very difficult to prove that you were terminated solely due to your religious belief, which is essentially the standard we're working with. I don't know a whole lot of employment law, but I believe there are exceptions to the general rule such as active proselytizing. However, this suspension is most likely governed by the contract they're operating under and not the general rules that govern normal at-will employees.
December 19, 201312 yr Generally speaking, no. Religious belief is a protected class. However, it is very difficult to prove that you were terminated solely due to your religious belief. I don't know a whole lot of employment law, but I believe there are exceptions to the general rule such as active proselytizing. However, this suspension is likely governed by the contract they're operating under and not the general rules that govern normal at-will employees. I would really be surprised if it was governed by the contract itself seeing how their religious aspects were part of their original negotiations.
Archived
This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.