Skip to content
View in the app

A better way to browse. Learn more.

BluegrassPreps.com

A full-screen app on your home screen with push notifications, badges and more.

To install this app on iOS and iPadOS
  1. Tap the Share icon in Safari
  2. Scroll the menu and tap Add to Home Screen.
  3. Tap Add in the top-right corner.
To install this app on Android
  1. Tap the 3-dot menu (⋮) in the top-right corner of the browser.
  2. Tap Add to Home screen or Install app.
  3. Confirm by tapping Install.

Phil Robertson Suspended From A&E

Featured Replies

Yes to LiptonBash's question regarding they can fire him. Private company, private individual. But as Hellbird mentioned, maybe a civil rights or discriminatory discharge problem.

 

I'm for the private sectors right's as much as anyone. I was just asking an honest question even the private sector has restricions on discrimination.

  • Replies 524
  • Views 41.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I would really be surprised if it was governed by the contract itself seeing how their religious aspects were part of their original negotiations.

 

My guess would be that there is some sort of provision in the agreement about public statements or action which bring negative notoriety or embarrassment to A&E, Hearst Media or ABC-Disney. I don't know for sure if it's there, but if I were a corporation bringing in VERY public employees, I'd want that sort of clause.

Has Phil clearly stated his view on homosexuality in the show?

  • Author

If AE did anything right in this, it was merely to suspend him and not fire him. I misspoke earlier about a possible discriminatory discharge as he hasn't actually been discharged from AE.

A question I don't have the full answer to and as I stated above in a situation similar to this but without the descriptive nature and just bibical does an employer have the right to punish someone over a religous belief? I don't know if they do.

 

I don't believe they do, but I think that basically covers scenarios such as: I'm a Christian working for a company and we get bought out by an owner who is Muslim. He can't fire me because I'm Christian, or vice versa. Now if I'm talking about my faith and beliefs with clients/suppliers, etc. he could discipline me for that. At least that's my interpretation of how it works.

 

His comments regarding blacks, and some of the derogatory comments surely played a factor as well though I'd think.

Dog the Bounty Hunter made some seriously bad racial comments...his production was shut down for a few months and then they resumed shooting the show after The Dog apologized publicly and went on a media tour apologizing. That said I expect little to be said by Robertson, he may clarify that he was condemning the sin and not the sinner or something along those lines. That will be IMO as close to an apology as he will get.

So if someone said they were all for gayness and were suspended from their job, would everyone have the same opinion on employer rights?

Dog the Bounty Hunter made some seriously bad racial comments...his production was shut down for a few months and then they resumed shooting the show after The Dog apologized publicly and went on a media tour apologizing. That said I expect little to be said by Robertson, he may clarify that he was condemning the sin and not the sinner or something along those lines. That will be IMO as close to an apology as he will get.

 

 

And, in my opinion, no more will be expected of him. A&E jumped out in front of a potential firestorm. He'll be reinstated sooner rather than later.

A bakery refused to make a wedding cake for a gay couple and a judge ordered them that they had to based on discrimination. isnt this a private business being ordered to do something.

Colo. judge orders Christian baker to bake gay wedding cake. Will he say no? (+video) - CSMonitor.com

 

even the t-shirt company (Hands On) in Lex, Ky was forced to make shirts for gay pride, even though it went against their beliefs.

Lexington Human Rights Commission Rules Against Discriminating T-Shirt Company | ThinkProgress

 

Isnt A&E discriminating on religious belief

So if someone said they were all for gay behavior and were suspended from their job, would everyone have the same opinion on employer rights?

 

Not to generalize, but this is an interesting switch from the norm. Typically the other side is the one up in arms about what employers have the right to do with their employees.

 

None of this would be an issue if Robertson had union protection...

So if someone said they were all for gay behavior and were suspended from their job, would everyone have the same opinion on employer rights?

 

I would. My stance is that you should know from day one what the person who signs your pay checks expects from you.

Before A&E suspended him, Robertson addressed the homophobic comments in a statement. "My mission today is to go forth and tell people about why I follow Christ and also what the bible teaches, and part of that teaching is that women and men are meant to be together," he said. "However, I would never treat anyone with disrespect just because they are different from me. We are all created by the Almighty and like Him, I love all of humanity. We would all be better off if we loved God and loved each other."

Not to generalize, but this is an interesting switch from the norm. Typically the other side is the one up in arms about what employers have the right to do with their employees.

 

None of this would be an issue if Robertson had union protection...

 

Amen, brother. And if Phil needs union representation anyways I'd be more than happy to oblige.

"However, I would never treat anyone with disrespect just because they are different from me. We are all created by the Almighty and like Him, I love all of humanity. We would all be better off if we loved God and loved each other."

 

Perfect.

So if someone said they were all for gayness and were suspended from their job, would everyone have the same opinion on employer rights?

 

I dont think it would make the news IMO.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Recently Browsing 0

  • No registered users viewing this page.

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.