December 20, 201312 yr Going through the TV Guide, it looks like Duck Dynasty is showing from 7 - 10 pm tonight. No clue when it started. Hard stance A&E is taking. :lol:
December 20, 201312 yr I guess I don't see Phil talking Bout his religious beliefs as being embarrassing. You're looking at from the POV of "does it bother me?" A&E looks at it and says "could it cost us viewers ie ad revenue?" So if Fred is one of your employees and he says something so vile WHILE WEARING your company uniform that your customers are threatening to take their biz elsewhere are you going to fire him?
December 20, 201312 yr How would we really know though? I would imagine that a large part of what is filmed ends up on the editing room floor. To a degree A&E can edit the content to dipict the family however they want do. He very easily could have made similar statements on camera that the network simply chose not to include on the air. That would only back up my point. They don't want that viewpoint being made public by one of its employees.
December 20, 201312 yr From the Duck Commander Web Site We want to thank all of you for your prayers and support. The family has spent much time in prayer since learning of A&E's decision. We want you to know that first and foremost we are a family rooted in our faith in God and our belief that the Bible is His word. While some of Phil’s unfiltered comments to the reporter were coarse, his beliefs are grounded in the teachings of the Bible. Phil is a Godly man who follows what the Bible says are the greatest commandments: “Love the Lord your God with all your heart” and “Love your neighbor as yourself.” Phil would never incite or encourage hate.We are disappointed that Phil has been placed on hiatus for expressing his faith, which is his constitutionally protected right.We have had a successful working relationship with A&E but, as a family, we cannot imagine the show going forward without our patriarch at the helm. We are in discussions with A&E to see what that means for the future of Duck Dynasty. Again, thank you for your continued support of our family. Looks like the Family may call A&E out and cancel the show themselves over this.
December 20, 201312 yr From the Duck Commander Web Site Looks like the Family may call A&E out and cancel the show themselves over this. That is awesome!! Good for the family. To Clyde, your scenario isn't quite right. Phil wasn't wearing a A&E shirt I'm sure as the interview states he was wearing his camo. Not a work shirt. So still confused a little.
December 20, 201312 yr From the Duck Commander Web Site Looks like the Family may call A&E out and cancel the show themselves over this. Again with the "constitutionally protected speech" stuff! Geez.
December 20, 201312 yr That is awesome!! Good for the family. To Clyde, your scenario isn't quite right. Phil wasn't wearing a A&E shirt I'm sure as the interview states he was wearing his camo. Not a work shirt. So still confused a little. I used the "wearing of the shirt" image in the Phelps example as a way to say he "works for" or "represents" a business. Phil "represents" A&E even when he's not on the show. It's part of the responsibility of being an employee and moreso an employee under an actual contract.
December 20, 201312 yr From the Duck Commander Web Site Looks like the Family may call A&E out and cancel the show themselves over this. As I've said on here for years I'm all for people using leverage. If you've got it use it if necessary.
December 20, 201312 yr I used the "wearing of the shirt" image in the Phelps example as a way to say he "works for" or "represents" a business. Phil "represents" A&E even when he's not on the show. It's part of the responsibility of being an employee and moreso an employee under an actual contract. But we all represent our employer. I do to and if I get arrested off duty I can get fired and I don't have a contract. My stance is I don't see what Phil did as embarrassing A&e. He didn't do anything wrong. He didn't break a law. He simply relayed his religious beliefs that are written in the bible. Sorry Clyde but if anything that is religious persecution what A&E did. Not the other way around.
December 20, 201312 yr As I've said on here for years I'm all for people using leverage. If you've got it use it if necessary. Agreed ball is in A&E's court . I understand both sides. A&E has to do what's best for business . If they think losing their highest rated show over one interview is what's best then that's their decision. For the roberstons I understand backing your father . But they also will be losing money. Either way if A&E keeps them or not. I bet we see the family on some channel in the next year.
December 20, 201312 yr Agreed ball is in A&E's court . I understand both sides. A&E has to do what's best for business . If they think losing their highest rated show over one interview is what's best then that's their decision. For the roberstons I understand backing your father . But they also will be losing money. Either way if A&E keeps them or not. I bet we see the family on some channel in the next year. In a weird way, I think A&E needs them a lot more than they need the network. They were multi millionaires long before Dick Dynasty aired and it's not like they are making a ton if money from the network. $200k an episode split among 20 people isn't going to make them filthy rich. They make more in advertisement and their actual business than what A&E pays them. A&E will lose more in advertisement than what they were paying for the show.
December 20, 201312 yr Agreed ball is in A&E's court . I understand both sides. A&E has to do what's best for business . If they think losing their highest rated show over one interview is what's best then that's their decision. For the roberstons I understand backing your father . But they also will be losing money. Either way if A&E keeps them or not. I bet we see the family on some channel in the next year. Was in a Hobby Lobby today waiting on some picture framing. I noticed the Duck stuff on a table. One of the products had the quote (or close to it) of: "We fear God, and very little else." I would assume A&E is in the little else category. What gets me is that their beliefs are part of their product and marketing. So how is anyone surprised by the comments?
December 20, 201312 yr But we all represent our employer. I do to and if I get arrested off duty I can get fired and I don't have a contract. My stance is I don't see what Phil did as embarrassing A&e. He didn't do anything wrong. He didn't break a law. He simply relayed his religious beliefs that are written in the bible. Sorry Clyde but if anything that is religious persecution what A&E did. Not the other way around. As they said in Cool Hand Luke: What we have here is a failure to communicate. We all aren't high profile or do something that makes us high profile in the news. However, I guarantee you that the vast majority of people who say something that causes their employer to be hurt or have the potential to be hurt financially will be fired even if neither you or I have ever heard of them. This is 100% about $$ and is not a religious debate. A&E would have the same reaction had he said black people are inherently stupid. It's not illegal to say that, right? He has the right to say it, correct?
December 20, 201312 yr As they said in Cool Hand Luke: What we have here is a failure to communicate. We all aren't high profile or do something that makes us high profile in the news. However, I guarantee you that the vast majority of people who say something that causes their employer to be hurt or have the potential to be hurt financially will be fired even if neither you or I have ever heard of them. This is 100% about $$ and is not a religious debate. A&E would have the same reaction had he said black people are inherently stupid. It's not illegal to say that, right? He has the right to say it, correct? I understand what you're saying. A&E is more concerned with their bottom line. They fear his comments can hurt that. I understand all of that. That doesn't make what they did right though. I also feel they made a huge mistake because this would end up costing them more than if they hasn't suspended him.
December 20, 201312 yr I understand what you're saying. A&E is more concerned with their bottom line. They fear his comments can hurt that. I understand all of that. That doesn't make what they did right though. I also feel they made a huge mistake because this would end up costing them more than if they hasn't suspended him. What is wrong with being concerned about the bottom line? It's a risky move. Still not about religion though.
Archived
This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.