August 1, 201313 yr The fraternity joke was pretty solid. Well played. For the record I agree with Clyde, I think the reaction will be less than hoped for. I also said the same thing about the group in Cal who decided they'd add queer to the name of their group versus gay or lesbian.
August 1, 201313 yr Only fraternities I've ever come across with no diversity are the all black fraternities. So, again, it made no sense. Not thinking it was funny and not making sense are two different things. You should get out of your shell a little more. I've seen blacks in white fraternities and I have seen whites in black fraternities. I still thought the joke was funny. But since you want to argue about whether or not a joke, I repeat, a joke made sense please note that there are only 4 black fraternities. 4. 1. 2. 3. 4. How many white fraternities are there? I'll go back to work while you start counting.
August 1, 201313 yr Not thinking it was funny and not making sense are two different things. You should get out of your shell a little more. I've seen blacks in white fraternities and I have seen whites in black fraternities. I still thought the joke was funny. But since you want to argue about whether or not a joke, I repeat, a joke made sense please note that there are only 4 black fraternities. 4. 1. 2. 3. 4. How many white fraternities are there? I'll go back to work while you start counting. I said it didn't make sense. I don't think it does. You're the one that, for God knows what stupid reason, decided to take issue with that.
August 1, 201313 yr I said it didn't make sense. I don't think it does. You're the one that, for God knows what stupid reason, decided to take issue with that. Because it makes sense to everyone but you for God knows what stupid reason.
August 1, 201313 yr Perhaps, but let's not kid ourselves. As a whole, the Greek system hasn't been known for its diversity. Some individual fraternities do better at it than others, and it has gotten better than it used to be. By the same token, I've been to more than my fair share of fraternity houses with lawn jockeys prominently displayed.Lambda Lambda Lambda!!!!!!!
August 1, 201313 yr My only other comments into the weak fraternal joke is that it was lame and unoriginal. If it was something clever, I would have applauded it. I will take part in a further discussion, but not in this thread.
August 1, 201313 yr My only other comments into the weak fraternal joke is that it was lame and unoriginal. If it was something clever, I would have applauded it. I will take part in a further discussion, but not in this thread. Good idea. We are beating a dead horse here debating the merits of how good or bad a joke was and lost focus of the thread intention.
August 1, 201313 yr please note that there are only 4 black fraternities. 4. 1. 2. 3. 4. How many white fraternities are there? I'll go back to work while you start counting. I'm not sure what your point is about this. What I know about fraternities is that that most started because a couple of students decided to start a fraternial organization. Black students had the same opportunities to start fraternites at their schools as well. It's not like they are started due to a schools choosing and the number of black fraternities was artifically limited. Also doesnt' it stand to reason that there would be fewer black fraternities than white fraternities just based upon the population. The college I attended had 5 fraternities. The campus was overwhelming made up of white students. There were not enough black students on campus to support an equal amount of black fraternities. I don't think the school offically had an chapeters of a historically black fraternity, although ever now and then you would see a couple of guys wearing Omega Psi jacekts. I was in Lambda Chi, and my associate class of 31 members had two black students and a turkish student. Not exactlly diverse but not bad considering the pool of students available to draw from. The overwhelming majoirty of the campus was non-greek.
August 1, 201313 yr I don't really have an issue with them doing it but seems like an attention grab and not something I would want to be associated with. That's pretty much my take as well. It's whatever but I don't want to be a part of it and would hope none of my friends would either. Just seems kind of tasteless.
August 1, 201313 yr Not defending the kid, but I think that is a matter of translation. At 38% whites would not be considered the majority of students. At under 50% they are considered a minority. So does that mean everyone at the school is a minority, since there is no demographic above 50%?
August 1, 201313 yr So does that mean everyone at the school is a minority, since there is no demographic above 50%? Yep. But it all depends on how you construct the subsets. If you measure it as "whites" and "non-whites" then there is decidedly a majority. But if you break it down to more descriptive groups then all groups end up as minorities when compared to each other.
August 1, 201313 yr So does that mean everyone at the school is a minority, since there is no demographic above 50%? Yes. By definition majority is referring to over 50%. As Getslow was saying, the term is not always correctly applied, same goes for the word minority. Whites comprise the plurality of the GSU campus. It is why whites will soon be a minority across the country.
August 1, 201313 yr So does that mean everyone at the school is a minority, since there is no demographic above 50%? That's how it works with stock which obviously is a whole different situation. Anyone not holding 50% or more is said to be holding a minority interest so everyone is a minority shareholder.
August 1, 201313 yr My only other comments into the weak fraternal joke is that it was lame and unoriginal. If it was something clever, I would have applauded it. I will take part in a further discussion, but not in this thread. Good point. We're straying too far from the topic at hand. FWIW, I'll try to only make strong jokes about fraternities from here on out.
August 2, 201313 yr If this is a news story in two weeks I'll be shocked...but if it is, Jeez it will be ugly!
Archived
This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.