Skip to content
View in the app

A better way to browse. Learn more.

BluegrassPreps.com

A full-screen app on your home screen with push notifications, badges and more.

To install this app on iOS and iPadOS
  1. Tap the Share icon in Safari
  2. Scroll the menu and tap Add to Home Screen.
  3. Tap Add in the top-right corner.
To install this app on Android
  1. Tap the 3-dot menu (⋮) in the top-right corner of the browser.
  2. Tap Add to Home screen or Install app.
  3. Confirm by tapping Install.

Georgia State Student Forms White Student Union

Featured Replies

Really bad one.

 

Sorry, I didn't mean to ruffle anyone's feathers.

 

Most fraternities that I've been in contact with are overwhelmingly white. Thus the joke.

  • Replies 44
  • Views 2.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Sorry, I didn't mean to ruffle anyone's feathers.

 

Most fraternities that I've been in contact with are overwhelmingly white. Thus the joke.

I actually thought it was funny.

"If we are already minorities on campus and are soon to be minorities in this country why wouldn't we have the right to advocate for ourselves and have a club just like every other minority?" Sharp, 18, said.

 

 

The Atlanta Journal-Constitution reportsexternal-link.png that whites comprise 38 percent of Georgia State's student body, followed by blacks at 35 percent, Asians at 12 percent and Latinos at 7 percent."

 

Guess this kid didn't do his research...

Not defending the kid, but I think that is a matter of translation. At 38% whites would not be considered the majority of students. At under 50% they are considered a minority.

Not defending the kid, but I think that is a matter of translation. At 38% whites would not be considered the majority of students. At under 50% they are considered a minority.

 

True story. A majority is a subset of a group comprising more than half the set's elements.

 

That said, I think in the common usage "majority" and "plurality" have ended up fairly interchangeable... which is unfortunate.

I think he does bring about some interesting questions. He is correct in that whites will no longer comprise the majority of Americans in the not-so-distant future. With the ever changing cultural landscape, what role do white American's play with celebrating their heritage? Socially speaking will that ever be seen as acceptable? Is it a bad idea?

Sorry, I didn't mean to ruffle anyone's feathers.

 

Most fraternities that I've been in contact with are overwhelmingly white. Thus the joke.

 

Got some sensitive frat guys around here. I thought of the same joke when I came into this thread.

 

Got some sensitive frat guys around here. I thought of the same joke when I came into this thread.

 

It wasn't a bad joke. I liked it.

I think he does bring about some interesting questions. He is correct in that whites will no longer comprise the majority of Americans in the not-so-distant future. With the ever changing cultural landscape, what role do white American's play with celebrating their heritage? Socially speaking will that ever be seen as acceptable? Is it a bad idea?

 

I always celebrate Oktoberfest. I'm celebrating my heritage there. I frequently go to the German-American Club here in Louisville. I'm celebrating my heritage there. Never really experienced any problems.

 

I can't help it if boring WASP culture has nothing to hang onto except whiteness. I'm sure there's something out there.

Got some sensitive frat guys around here. I thought of the same joke when I came into this thread.

 

Not a fraternity guy. Just don't like jokes that make zero sense. :idunno:

Not a fraternity guy. Just don't like jokes that make zero sense. :idunno:

 

 

The joke made perfect sense.

Only fraternities I've ever come across with no diversity are the all black fraternities. So, again, it made no sense.

I don't really have an issue with them doing it but seems like an attention grab and not something I would want to be associated with.

I always celebrate Oktoberfest. I'm celebrating my heritage there. I frequently go to the German-American Club here in Louisville. I'm celebrating my heritage there. Never really experienced any problems.

 

I can't help it if boring WASP culture has nothing to hang onto except whiteness. I'm sure there's something out there.

 

I go to Nascar races to celebrate my heritage.

 

Not really, I hate Nascar.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Recently Browsing 0

  • No registered users viewing this page.

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.