Pregnant Texas teen files suit against parents in abortion feud

theguru

A pregnant Texas 16-year-old has gone to court to avoid having an abortion against her will, according to court documents.

Lawyers with the Texas Center for Defense of Life, a pro-life advocacy group, filed a petition on behalf of the teen plaintiff identified only by her initials in Harris County, Texas district court on Feb. 10. A judge granted a temporary restraining order in the case, according to local NBC affiliate Click2Houston.com.

We were asking the judge to stop them physically forcing her to have an abortion,” the plaintiff’s attorney Stephen Casey told Click2Houston.com. “They cannot drag her to get an abortion, force an abortion on our client.”

http://usnews.nbcnews.com/_news/2013/02/13/16949097-pregnant-texas-teen-files-suit-against-parents-in-abortion-feud?lite

• Replies 39
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The mother to be is the only one that has a say. Awful human beings is what those parents are.

It's a tricky situation though. You would think the mother should have the right but then you have to look at the big picture. Now I'm not supporting abortion, instead I am looking at this from a legal stand point and since abortion is legal then I will go from there.

The mother is underage which means her parents are her legal gaurdians which also means that they are the ones who have the right to make legal decisions concerning the daughter.

Also what isn't known is if the mother was going to give the baby up for adoption because if she wasn't then the parents will most probably be the one's financially supporting the child for awhile etc. Yes it may sound cruel and all but like I said I am just looking at it from a legal point of view.

So I think as long as the mother is a minor then the parents who are legal guardians over the mother have the right to decide the fate of the unborn child.

As I said, it has nothing to do with my beliefs, if I was the parent I would not in a million years want the baby aborted, but I'm not in that position and I can only look at the legal side of the topic.

It's a tricky situation though. You would think the mother should have the right but then you have to look at the big picture. Now I'm not supporting abortion, instead I am looking at this from a legal stand point and since abortion is legal then I will go from there.

The mother is underage which means her parents are her legal gaurdians which also means that they are the ones who have the right to make legal decisions concerning the daughter.

Also what isn't known is if the mother was going to give the baby up for adoption because if she wasn't then the parents will most probably be the one's financially supporting the child for awhile etc. Yes it may sound cruel and all but like I said I am just looking at it from a legal point of view.

So I think as long as the mother is a minor then the parents who are legal guardians over the mother have the right to decide the fate of the unborn child.

As I said, it has nothing to do with my beliefs, if I was the parent I would not in a million years want the baby aborted, but I'm not in that position and I can only look at the legal side of the topic.

Sorry, it's a very simple situation. The parents are awful human beings. You can't force someone to abort an unborn child. Legally only the mother to be has a say in the life of her unborn child.

Let me make sure I can wrap my head around the legalities here. The teenager could have an abortion without her parents consent and without them even knowing BUT she has to have their consent NOT to have one??? Am I the only one that sees the absurdity of that?

Can parents force their children to have non-life saving surgeries like a tonsillectomy, even if the child doesn't want it? What about something like cosmetic surgery?

The question is how do you force a 16 year old to do anything. Will it be court odered so the cops have to drag her in? This is a crazy situation and I don't want my personal belief on abortion to influence it. I want to protect all life. But understand parents need to have guardianship over their minor childern. I just can't believe a parent would force their daughter to abort their grandchild, seems crazy to me.

Can parents force their children to have non-life saving surgeries like a tonsillectomy, even if the child doesn't want it? What about something like cosmetic surgery?

I remember when my sister had her tonsils removed. She was 11 and anything but willing, so yes parents can compel minor children to have medical procedures and must give consent to have it done. Abortion has become a different animal though. Courts have held that a minor can have an abortion without parental consent and without notifying her parents so why should they have any say in deciding she has to have one? That answer has nothing to do with my personal beliefs about abortion, simply consistency in the way it is handled.

If I'm not mistaken, unless determined otherwise by a government, the legal guardian of a child is legally responsible for all decision making when it comes to their children's medical care. Now, once the child gets older, the guardian could certainly take the child's opinion into consideration, but I'm pretty certain that the decision is solely up to the parent.

From a legal standpoint, unless there are already special laws on the books regarding abortion, or the girl manages to be legally liberated of her parents, I can't see the final decision on this belonging to anyone other than the parents.