November 22, 201213 yr I think he crossed the line. It's a fine line but I think he definitely went over it. It appeared as if he wanted to fight the kid. That's not healthy. Pitino never went that far. Plus you could see it effected the kid emotionally. I felt bad for him. As was stated above, I don't buy the calming him down excuse, he was calm, talking? Yes? Calm? Close to it. Having said that, as was also mentioned, we don't know what the kid said. Just hopes Woods learns from this.
November 22, 201213 yr From November 12th... Scott Van Pelt @notthefakeSVP tweeted: Sean Woods, Morehead State basketball coach, is so outwardly hostile towards his players it's uncomfortable. Woods needs to get a grip.
November 22, 201213 yr Didn't bother me one iota. Big deal. I loved playing for coaches like this as a kid. I hate losing. Despise losing. If I'm messing up let me know. If I'm not listening. Get my attention. If I smart off then handle your business. We're on the same team and we want the same thing. Help me get there. By any means necessary. Like coaches always say...if I don't say anything to you then that means I think you're giving me the best you can give. If I yell, cuss, kick and scream at you then that means I know you can do better. The day my coaches quit yelling at me is when I quit playing sports.
November 22, 201213 yr No way I let a coach out there hands on me in anger. Woods needs some self control. You can get your point across in other ways.
November 22, 201213 yr On Sportscenter they showed a clip from the Maryland game earlier this year when Woods and a player got in to. He seems to be quite the fircracker that maybe a little therapy could help. If I see this as a high school basketball player, with a future in college basketball, I would have no interest in going to play for someone like Mr. Woods. Maybe in the 80's or 90's this would not have been a big deal, but the times are different, you just can't touch your players anymore. Instead of getting the publicity for hanging with Kentucky last night, all everyone is talking about is Mr. Woods and his managerial style. Not a good recruiting pitch seeing your coach on Sportscenter pushing players.
November 22, 201213 yr Didn't bother me one iota. Big deal. I loved playing for coaches like this as a kid. I hate losing. Despise losing. If I'm messing up let me know. If I'm not listening. Get my attention. If I smart off then handle your business. We're on the same team and we want the same thing. Help me get there. By any means necessary. Like coaches always say...if I don't say anything to you then that means I think you're giving me the best you can give. If I yell, cuss, kick and scream at you then that means I know you can do better. The day my coaches quit yelling at me is when I quit playing sports. PP, sounds like you grew up as I did. I know what I am going to post will not sit well with a lot of people. I grew up in inner city and playing sports was a way to keep me out of trouble. I "pushed the envelope" a hell of a lot with my coaches. My mouth and anger got me in a LOT of skirmishes when I was younger. I was a smartbutt and was always ready for a fight when competing. Thank God I had a coach who would "get my attention" and tried to teach me how to control and use that anger constructively. Seeing Woods do what he did really took me back, because I'm telling you if my old coach hadn't "gotten my attention" when he did, I may be telling a different story today. Don't get me wrong, never should a kid be abused, but some of us grew up a little harder than others and sometimes we need different "attention getters".
November 22, 201213 yr These are men not 8 year olds. So what, Sean got in his face and gave him a little push to get out of his sight and go sit down. You can't handle everybody with kid gloves, some players need tough love. Some of you act like he pulled a Woody Hayes and punched someone.
November 22, 201213 yr Not that big a deal. Look at the biceps on Atkinson, I doubt there was any chance of him getting "roughed" up. Both player and coach agreed that the words used were positive.
November 22, 201213 yr The only thing that bothered me was how long it went on. I think Woods was done after the initial push and "coaching". I think the kid said something that prompted Woods to extend the coaching moment.
November 22, 201213 yr First of all, the player should know that you can't run your mouth to the coach. That being said, Woods shouldn't have shoved him but I'm fine with him getting in his face. That's just part of it. This.
November 22, 201213 yr You guys are ignoring Sean Woods history of acting this way. He has to be aware of how this looks.
November 22, 201213 yr So everyone who has a problem with this had a problem with Cal's treatment of Terrence Jones and the way he screams and yells at practice? I've seen Coach K yell at players like that. Problem with that? Pitino? Problem there? The list goes on and on. I don't know. It just doesn't move me like that.
November 22, 201213 yr So everyone who has a problem with this had a problem with Cal's treatment of Terrence Jones and the way he screams and yells at practice? I've seen Coach K yell at players like that. Problem with that? Pitino? Problem there? The list goes on and on. I don't know. It just doesn't move me like that. I didn't like the name Cal used with Terrence Jones. To me, it goes back to what Clizzy said about it looking like Woods wanted to fight. There were some moments there when it seemed to me that Woods had gone over the edge.
Archived
This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.