Beechwood 21 Goshen (OH) 21 (Scrimmage)

The Beechwood Tigers finished their pre-season schedule with a 3 quarter game rules 21-21 tie versus the Goshen OH Warriors. Goshen has 600 students and plays in Ohio's Division 3.

The scrimmage game was a back and forth battle all night with the teams playing three 7-7 quarters. Several of Beechwood's key players watched this one from the sideline. The workhorse on offense was Gage Erdman who made a number of very nice runs showing a combination of speed and moves. The young Tigers still have work to do as they made a lot of mistakes. They had 10 penalties in the first half before settling down in the third quarter.

Goshen runs a wing T offense with a lot of misdirection and options. With most of Beechwood's top defensive players watching, the young Tigers who played made some key mistakes versus the misdirection. The biggest of those mistakes came with 35 seconds to go in the first half on 3rd down and 5. Goshen's QB faked a dive handoff to the fullback then went 55 yards for a TD that tied the game at 14 at halftime. Erdman scored both of Beechwood's first half TD's - a run from about 25 yards out in the first quarter and then a very nice stop and go move on a sweep from 10 yards out in the second quarter.

The game looked more like regular season football in the 3rd quarter. Beechwood's offense struggled. The defense gave up yards but buckled down in short yardage to get key stops on a couple good drives by Goshen. Goshen finally got the the go ahead TD with 3:25 to go. The Tigers responded with their best offensive drive of the preseason. The line muscled up and the Tigers repeatedly handed the ball to Erdman as they marched down field in 10 yard chunks. A key penalty looked like it would stall the drive but QB Cameron Lane made a nice 27 yard run. Another run by Erdman got the Tigers within scoring range. Lane then hit Devon Everrett on a big 3rd down pass with 19 seconds to go to make it 1st and goal at the 5. A run play was poorly executed. Then Lane hit Max Shover with the game tieing TD with 6 seconds to go. That morale boosting 80 yard drive ended the scrimmage with the score tied 21-21.

The JV teams played the 4th quarter and Beechwood's JV looked impressive, winning 14-0. The Tigers defense held Goshen without a first down on their first two drives. Meanwhile, Beechwood's offense made several big plays - a 30 yard run by Mitch Thomas, a 35 yard TD pass from QB Jason Suchanek to Jalen Hayden, a 40 yard punt return and then 6 yard TD run by Joe Studer.

Next up for the Tigers is game one versus the Simon Kenton Pioneers at Simon Kenton, 6:00 pm, in the opener of a Skyline Crosstown Showdown program.

Edited by EyeOfTheTiger

You're welcome. That is why I am on here. I will try to keep good stories coming on the Tigers all season. Nice win for the Pioneers tonight versus Danville. Next week's game should be a good one.

As you stated earlier...."Beechwood had some key players out". I think this is a team that cannot afford any injuries. When those players return, hopefully next week, they need to stay healthy. I believe their defense would of had a MUCH better showing last night if all hands were on deck!

I hate to be Johnny Raincloud, but I would hope that Beechwood had a lot of good players sitting. I am from Ohio and Goshen is not that good. They will be around

.500 playing schools that are smaller than themselves. But it is just a scrimmage and you can't put a lot into the results. I see Beechwood is ranked #5 in the NKY poll

and Goshen didn't even get a point in the DII-DIV poll. Anytime Goshen has put up a good record, and made the playoffs (not too often), it is one and done because

they play in the weakest confernce in SW Ohio (SBC).

I hate to be Johnny Raincloud, but I would hope that Beechwood had a lot of good players sitting. I am from Ohio and Goshen is not that good. They will be around

.500 playing schools that are smaller than themselves. But it is just a scrimmage and you can't put a lot into the results. I see Beechwood is ranked #5 in the NKY poll

and Goshen didn't even get a point in the DII-DIV poll. Anytime Goshen has put up a good record, and made the playoffs (not too often), it is one and done because

they play in the weakest confernce in SW Ohio (SBC).

I just re-read what I wrote and I wasn't trying to bag on Beechwood. I hope they have a good season. I was just trying to point out that I agreed they must have held out some good players for the score to be tied with Goshen. Also the fact you can't put too much into pre season scores. The browns just smacked the packers the other night and I think most would agree if it was regular season the score would be different....