Covington Holy Cross Freshman Season Cancelled

Rhino859

It's a shame that the defending 2A state champs have such a low interest at the freshman level this year that the season had to be cancelled. It is my understanding that only 10 kids came out for the team this year, so they have all been moved to JV, and there will be no freshman season. Does anyone have any insight as to why there is so little interest from the younger generation of Holy Cross football players?

It's a shame that the defending 2A state champs have such a low interest at the freshman level this year that the season had to be cancelled. It is my understanding that only 10 kids came out for the team this year, so they have all been moved to JV, and there will be no freshman season. Does anyone have any insight as to why there is so little interest from the younger generation of Holy Cross football players?

Freshman football interest is down at SK and Ryle as well. I wonder if all the concussion information (and disinformation) that is being broadcast is impacting parents decisions to have kids play football? I once saw Terry Bradshaw on national TV say he would not allow his son to play football because of concussion risk.

Freshman football interest is down at SK and Ryle as well. I wonder if all the concussion information (and disinformation) that is being broadcast is impacting parents decisions to have kids play football? I once saw Terry Bradshaw on national TV say he would not allow his son to play football because of concussion risk.

This makes no sense. You would think that the success of last year would drive numbers up. However, as most small schools know, numbers are cyclical. One or two small classes are follwed by one or two big ones. Additionally, if all 10 stick it out and 7 contribute big time w/ 3 being very good, then you have a solid senior class for 2A.

Maybe Holy Cross should connect with the 1A schools. I believe they do a freshman/sophomore team instead of JV. Someone please correct me if I am wrong but that is what I have been told. For schools struggling with numbers at the freshman level, maybe that is the way to go. Newport has struggled fielding a freshman team. Lloyd hasn't fielded a freshman team the last couple years. Really, all the small schools trying to play freshman ball have been tight on numbers the past few years. It is tough these days in a small school to field freshman, JV and varsity.

What type of disinformation?

Perhaps a better choice of words would be sensationalized. The media is frequently highlighting a small number of severe injuries with an agenda to attack the sport. Never in these stories will you ever hear that the injury rate of CHEERLEADING is HIGHER that football!

Perhaps a better choice of words would be sensationalized. The media is frequently highlighting a small number of severe injuries with an agenda to attack the sport. Never in these stories will you ever hear that the injury rate of CHEERLEADING is HIGHER that football!

You can't put too much info out there about concussions. It's still misunderstood by too many coaches/parents/players.

This study says cheerleading has the lowest rate of concussions.

http://www.momsteam.com/softball/concussion-in-high-school-sports-rising-fifteen-percent-new-study-finds

However, I don't think concussions had any impact on HC's frosh class.

It seemed like Ryle had 50+ Kids on their team this past Friday when they scrimmaged CovCath's Frosh. My eyes may have been deceiving me though.

That's a real shame about Holy Cross. I can't believe 10 was all they could get.

Maybe Holy Cross should connect with the 1A schools. I believe they do a freshman/sophomore team instead of JV. Someone please correct me if I am wrong but that is what I have been told. For schools struggling with numbers at the freshman level, maybe that is the way to go. Newport has struggled fielding a freshman team. Lloyd hasn't fielded a freshman team the last couple years. Really, all the small schools trying to play freshman ball have been tight on numbers the past few years. It is tough these days in a small school to field freshman, JV and varsity.

We had a Freshman/Sophomore team my Freshman year at NewCath.

You can't put too much info out there about concussions. It's still misunderstood by too many coaches/parents/players.

This study says cheerleading has the lowest rate of concussions.

Concussions in High School Sports Rising at 15% Annual Rate, Study Finds | MomsTeam

However, I don't think concussions had any impact on HC's frosh class.

I said the injury rate was higher in cheerleading, not the concussion rate specifically.

They have attemted this. For the most part the schedules were full but they are picking up some games as we speak.

Holy Cross only had 6-8 8th graders last year on their middle school team if I remember right. That's about the norm for them.

Beecwoods present senior class faced the same situation when they were freshman. Season was almost cancelled. They decided to let 8th graders play up and went on to have a great season. I hope the best for HC !!