Jody Demling Leaving The CJ?

gametime

And that is a job posting that seems to have been made to discourage applicants. Wonder how many hours this person will work per week to get that handsome $15K annual salary?

Scroll down and read the comments. The 15K was allegedly not an accurate number...

• Replies 35
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Thought it was low. Wonder how much a job like that pays?

From knowing details about similar situations, I'm guessing the going rate for someone that has a clue what they are doing is in the 50-60K range with full benefits.

Also guessing that given what is going on in the newspaper industry, they would be fine with getting that number at or below 30K with someone that is fairly new to the game of writing, scouting or both. The reality is there are plenty of guys that are not so good at either who would be more than willing to fill the void...

The best part of sports reporting on Twitter is when they link to a full story.

The lack of newspaper coverage is good for sites like BGP and local sports blogs.

So very true and you only have to look at NKy since the departure of the Ky Post and what the NKy.com has become, to see what might happen to the CJ HS sports!

When will the editors of the local daily newspaper learn that we can get national and international news or sports rather easily via the CNN, FOX or ESPN's of the world, but the HS down the street, we have to rely on the local daily newspapers

but they seems to have forgotten, why they exist or write for anymore!

I hate to see Jody and or Jason depart......newspapers are done, but while others think you can find anything anywhere on the net, I think much of this is bad for the DEPTH of coverage of sports and news. Now everything is a quick quip or a twitter....boring...

I agree, had both thier sites logged in my "favorites". Checked them daily.

From knowing details about similar situations, I'm guessing the going rate for someone that has a clue what they are doing is in the 50-60K range with full benefits.

Also guessing that given what is going on in the newspaper industry, they would be fine with getting that number at or below 30K with someone that is fairly new to the game of writing, scouting or both. The reality is there are plenty of guys that are not so good at either who would be more than willing to fill the void...

I'm having a hard time believing they would pay anybody anywhere near that $50-60K figure.

I'm having a hard time believing they would pay anybody anywhere near that $50-60K figure.

That's around what Jody is making. Also the number it would take to get someone qualified to fill the job. I agree it is unlikely that they will go that route with his replacement...

That's around what Jody is making. Also the number it would take to get someone qualified to fill the job. I agree it is unlikely that they will go that route with his replacement...

Jody's put a lot of time in -- 15 or so years. No way his replacement ever sees that kind of cash. I'm thinking more like $35K on the top end. You won't be seeing a veteran journalist of 8 years or more in that spot. In fact, they may just trade on their name to get some hot-shot young kid on the cheap who'll settle for less than they deserve just to get C-J clips.

Jody's put a lot of time in -- 15 or so years. No way his replacement ever sees that kind of cash. I'm thinking more like $35K on the top end. You won't be seeing a veteran journalist of 8 years or more in that spot. In fact, they may just trade on their name to get some hot-shot young kid on the cheap who'll settle for less than they deserve just to get C-J clips.

That is exactly what I was getting at...

The best part of sports reporting on Twitter is when they link to a full story.

The lack of newspaper coverage is good for sites like BGP and local sports blogs.

Ready or not, the sports journalism world is rapidly evolving to blogs and microblogs (i.e., Twitter, other posts w/ links). I used to watch hours of Sportscenter some summer days, but now I can get all the info (and most all the videos) from ESPN.com.

If you think that Twitter won't catch on, I'd suggest giving it a try and adding someone like Oscar Combs. 10 years ago, who would have thought that'd be the medium I followed him on? I definitely wouldn't have.

Ready or not, the sports journalism world is rapidly evolving to blogs and microblogs (i.e., Twitter, other posts w/ links). I used to watch hours of Sportscenter some summer days, but now I can get all the info (and most all the videos) from ESPN.com.

Very true. I only watch Sportscenter at work during breakfast and lunch. Any info or videos that I need or want I can get from my phone.