Jody Demling Leaving The CJ?

gametime

I have been hinting at this for a little while now, but there are enough rumors out there that it seems about time to spill what I am hearing.

With InsideTheVille leaving Scout for 247Sports next week, word is that Jody is moving to Scout to take over the UL site. Looking like the CJ will be all but out of the sports news game in the matter of a few months. Last one out, turn off the lights...

• Replies 35
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It's definitely become the cool thing to do over the last several years to poke fun at the C-J. And it's definitely been the fashionable thing all around the country to scoff at newspapers. But we're losing something here and I'm absolutely serious when I say that we won't know just how much we've lost until the C-J finally shuts its doors for good.

Good luck to Jody Demling, whatever the case may be; I've always enjoyed reading his stuff.

It's definitely become the cool thing to do over the last several years to poke fun at the C-J. And it's definitely been the fashionable thing all around the country to scoff at newspapers. But we're losing something here and I'm absolutely serious when I say that we won't know just how much we've lost until the C-J finally shuts its doors for good.

Daily newspapers dug their own grave. The writers that made them relevant aren't going away. They are going to places that are way ahead of the dinosaur. Sad in some ways, but simple evolution on the system...

Daily newspapers dug their own grave. The writers that made them relevant aren't going away. They are going to places that are way ahead of the dinosaur. Sad in some ways, but simple evolution on the system...

I definitely don't worry about sports. They'll keep up.

My worry is on the news side, which I find decidedly lacking between TV and the various blogs I keep track of. In Louisville, I've been reading LEO and listening to WFPL for years, so I'm hoping they can fill the void.

My worry is on the news side, which I find decidedly lacking between TV and the various blogs I keep track of. In Louisville, I've been reading LEO and listening to WFPL for years, so I'm hoping they can fill the void.

I agree. I think a lot of the other mediums are fairly reliant on newspapers for the investigative aspect and I'm not sure the money is concentrated enough elsewhere to sustain that. I also worry that the newspapers are the only medium that has robust First Amendment protections. I think each medium should have the same broad interpretation, but practically it doesn't seem to have worked out that way.

Agree 110%.

Is Jason Frakes still going to be at the CJ?

I sure hope so. High school sports coverage in Ky will suffer if Jason Frakes leaves. He's easily my favorite journalist.

If the time comes where he has to leave for greener pastures I'll understand. He'd truly be missed.

If this does come to pass -- and I'm hearing it will, as well -- in all likelihood the C-J will not fill Jody's position, but instead have Frakes pull split duty on preps and recruiting, the way Jody used to. My guess says the HS coverage will slip more, as the recruiting news is a popular feature of the CJ sports section. Looks like the biggest beneficiaries of that will be the Ts and Xs and Ballards and Males of the world. Lesser sports outside of FB and boys' and girls' hoops will suffer the most.

If this does come to pass -- and I'm hearing it will, as well -- in all likelihood the C-J will not fill Jody's position, but instead have Frakes pull split duty on preps and recruiting, the way Jody used to. My guess says the HS coverage will slip more, as the recruiting news is a popular feature of the CJ sports section. Looks like the biggest beneficiaries of that will be the Ts and Xs and Ballards and Males of the world. Lesser sports outside of FB and boys' and girls' hoops will suffer the most.

Sports reporter, The Courier-Journal

Job is posted...

I hate to see Jody and or Jason depart......newspapers are done, but while others think you can find anything anywhere on the net, I think much of this is bad for the DEPTH of coverage of sports and news. Now everything is a quick quip or a twitter....boring...

I hate to see Jody and or Jason depart......newspapers are done, but while others think you can find anything anywhere on the net, I think much of this is bad for the DEPTH of coverage of sports and news. Now everything is a quick quip or a twitter....boring...

The best part of sports reporting on Twitter is when they link to a full story.

The lack of newspaper coverage is good for sites like BGP and local sports blogs.