Obama says YES to same sex marriage

I have been a Democrat all my life and you have no idea the debates I have had in Church, believe me Obama might win, but the Christian vote is gone.

You mean the white Christian vote, right?

Blacks supported him by something like 90/10. You don't think a large number of the 90 are Christians?

• Replies 229
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

You mean the white Christian vote, right?

Blacks supported him by something like 90/10. You don't think a large number of the 90 are Christians?

Good question, we are free to vote our choice, but a true Christian who votes for a man who is for Same Sex Marriage" will need to read Matthew 7:13 until the end of the chapter. I'll help, the gate to heaven is narrow but the road to destruction is broad. Jesus also said to some..Go away from me I didn't know you.

The world is full of false religions. A church should let a Gay person in it, and then try to convince them to repent and change their Sinful life...God doesn't change, man does.

Here is the problem with YOUR religion. You have not set foot in my church, not met the people, don't know the pastor. We read the and understand the bible differently than you. Your religion has taught you to sit in your chair at home and judge what is in my heart and the heart of people in my church. Maybe that is false religion.

Maybe churches who elect smokers as deacons practice a false religion because smokers are obviously sinners. (For the record, I am not comparing smoking and being gay. I think smoking is much more harmful to the individual and the community, I am not aware of any second hand gay).

Maybe your religion is false in that you accept the scripture as inerrant, when we know facts like parts of Mark were added much later and reflected the teachings of the community and not the author. We also know that the paternalistic, conservative, world powergrabbing, catholic church of old, ARBITRARILY (too strong of a word but it gets close) chose which books were to be put into the Canon (does that have two "n"s).

Maybe your religion is false because you don't choose to practice true hermeneutics or exegesis. Maybe because you let your culture color your interpretation - as we all do.

I am not going to judge your religion and say that it is false but how dare you sir, say that mine is.

Now, it is one in the morning so I am not nearly as indignant as this sounds, but it is much more fun to pound away on the keyboard like I am indignant.

FWIW my father-in-law was a professor of preaching and hermeneutics at Southern Baptist Seminary when, in his words, it was still a reputable institution and I never want to speak for him, but I think his beliefs are much more in line with mine than with yours. What does that say, I don't know, but he is a learned man and well respected in his field. The Catholic, Thomas Merton, was the subject of his dissertation.

He believes differently than you - does that make his religion false?

If he truly supported gay marriage and he thought it was the right thing to do he would have done it long before now. This is nothing but another political maneuver to be re-elected. Nothing more.

Still trying for the life of me to determine what the political benefit is here. What demographic will this get the President that he doesn't already have? On the other hand, what demographic does he risk losing that he already has?

Websters at one time said it was an union between a man and a woman, and so did God.

Larry, this doesn't even remotely answer my question. Just a straight answer, not "the Bible says so".

What does it hurt Alabama Larry if Bill and Bob from down the road are married?

My Church doesn't teach that. Don't assume every christian everywhere believes the same as you. There are many churches that are open and accepting of gays and celebrate with them when they can make their relationships whole.

Do you care to mention the denomination?

I attend a Disciples of Christ church and we celebrated the birth of a child to a gay couple two weeks ago.

If he truly supported gay marriage and he thought it was the right thing to do he would have done it long before now. This is nothing but another political maneuver to be re-elected. Nothing more.

Still trying for the life of me to determine what the political benefit is here. What demographic will this get the President that he doesn't already have? On the other hand, what demographic does he risk losing that he already has?

Sounds strange, but I agree with both your posts.

This was said to be for intended release around September, but due to the NC vote and Biden not being able to help himself, they went public with it now. Poll numbers show an upswing of people supporting gay marriage. Up a large number from just a few years back despite most state votes that go against it.

Obama was for gay marriage back in 1996. Backed off when he went national and came full circle on May 9, 2012.

But much like the black vote, it was not as if an alarming number of gay people were going to be pulling the lever for Romney. But the President's insistence on to take a stand until yesterday derailed any potential gay votes from defecting.